PDA

View Full Version : Simulator Instructor Pay

stickjoc
1st Nov 2017, 13:09
Does anybody know what salary/conditions you can expect as a SFI in the UK these days?.

CL300
1st Nov 2017, 20:02
I can tell you FSI in Paris for the Falcon, numbers from september

4150€ gross/month + 300€ once checked for ground school + 300€ once checked for simulator

6 months trial period

Bond of 34000€ for type training

USA is around 95000usd for the same position

Klimax
1st Nov 2017, 23:16
Wow.. they must really atteact the best of the best.. the cream del a cream..

Dan_Brown
2nd Nov 2017, 01:38
One step worse than P2F, don't you think? P2I, pay to instruct.

FlyMD
2nd Nov 2017, 08:58
I don't know what standards are applied here, but 4'750 gross per month (once checked out) is a pretty decent salary in France...

For reference, full-time salaries in France go as low as 1'400 Euros, with a municipal employee starting at 1'800 Euros (a cop, for example), a truck driver making it to 2'300 Euros...

My neighbor in France is the general manager of a large supermarket, he supervises about 70 employees, and gets 4'100 Euros monthly...

Starting salary for a first officer at Volotea is also 1'400Euros + 50E per duty day....

FSI may not attract the best and most experienced anymore, but there is no shortage of older pilots with no chance of a class 1 medical who are more than happy to take the deal.

FLEXJET
2nd Nov 2017, 12:02
FSI LBG hired a lot of ex-military pensioners, this can also explain why salaries are so compressed and not at all competitive with Dubai or London.

CL300
2nd Nov 2017, 12:52
This is the issue with a lot of ex-military they have full pension at 40, with FSI they can make 8000 a month

Journey Man
3rd Nov 2017, 16:52
I can tell you FSI in Paris for the Falcon, numbers from september

4150€ gross/month + 300€ once checked for ground school + 300€ once checked for simulator

6 months trial period

Bond of 34000€ for type training

USA is around 95000usd for the same position

CAE pays better for Dassault.

maxphlyer
3rd Nov 2017, 19:01
Emirates-CAE Flight Training in Dubai seems to be the best paying center.
However, apartment rent and cost of living is high...

apruneuk
11th Nov 2017, 17:03
Like a lot of teaching jobs, you tend not to do it for the money alone. Pay in the UK starts at around £55k basic if you work for one of the big two. Expect productivity bonuses, pension, health insurance, and 28 days' paid holiday ( taken at any time of the year). Career progression is possible if you fancy going into programme management or examining (more money). Rosters tend to be more stable than flying and weekends off are the norm in the bizjet sim world.
Training can last for 6-9 months, and whilst you are paid while you train, expect to be bonded for £12-20k reducing pro-rata for a couple of years.
One big positive is you don't need a current medical to be an SFI. Basically, it's a proper career that is attractive to retired pilots from the military, airlines and business jet backgrounds. Unfortunately this can keep the wages lower than might otherwise be the case as many of the current crop enjoy generous pensions and employers know this.
However, times are changing and more and more SFIs are relying on the money as their sole source of income, so expect salaries to improve as pilots work to 65 and final salary pension schemes cease to exist. If you want a steady career and like the idea of teaching qualified pilots to operate a new type then it can be very rewarding. I hope this helps.
AP

EatMyShorts!
12th Nov 2017, 08:41
If you want a steady career and like the idea of teaching qualified pilots to operate a new type then it can be very rewarding. I hope this helps.
APReally? LOL
We rather hear the opposite when we do our training at FSI - they are happy to have us there, because we don't nearly crash the SIM/plane on every second flight, contrary to quite a few other operators.

arketip
12th Nov 2017, 10:28
Really? LOL
We rather hear the opposite when we do our training at FSI - they are happy to have us there, because we don't nearly crash the SIM/plane on every second flight, contrary to quite a few other operators.

Yes, I'm sure they are happy to see a sky god in the sim from time to time so they can learn something too...LOL

CL300
12th Nov 2017, 11:53
I was amazed on how often crews are crashing the sim... I am not talking about a triple engine failure on go around in LOWI in a snow storm. Just a normal go-around at minimas.

What EMS says is quite correct, and it is unbelievable how some people made it so far... Some have just have no clues...

As far the financial package of FSI in Paris is concerned, would the salary gross would be Net from day one, it will be doable in Paris area.

EatMyShorts!
12th Nov 2017, 18:59
Yes, I'm sure they are happy to see a sky god in the sim from time to time so they can learn something too...LOLIf only we were "sky gods" I'd be laughing as well, but I am rather astounded that quite a few non-achievers have made it that far. One issue is that in biz aviation you will rather get your checkout done, because you paid for the initial. FSI is not cheap, not at all. A rating on a Falcon or Global is 2 to 3 times the cost of a B737/A320, as you may know. Good business for those training providers, because there's not much competition.

Some of the instructors are really good and training with them is enjoyable, because you learn quite a few things, even after being on type for a decade, or so. But there are also others, do you know what I mean? :p

CL300
12th Nov 2017, 19:29
Like one in TEB AKA AC Junior ?

WildRover
9th Jan 2019, 10:29
Emirates-CAE Flight Training in Dubai seems to be the best paying center.
However, apartment rent and cost of living is high...

Very true. Any one attending the school is asked whether they would like to work for the company on arrival via the welcome folder. This could suggest a high turnover of instructors.