PDA

View Full Version : Part time modular training

tobster911
26th Oct 2017, 13:09
Hello all,
I'm thinking of taking out a loan to finance my training via the modular route, however, I will continue working full time in order to pay off the loan, and fly at weekends.

Does anyone have any experience of doing a similar thing, and more specifically, are any of those people now in airline employment?

Many thanks

tobster911
26th Oct 2017, 15:26
Hi Negan,

Thank you. I've got my PPL and am just trying to think of the best way around it all. I may commence my ATPL with BGS on a distance study basis coupled with just renting an aircraft and flying as much as possible, until I have enough hours to do CPL/ME/IR all at once and then, I think I'd be correct in saying that'd be me sorted?

Jaair
26th Oct 2017, 15:55
Hey, I'm on a similar boat; I also have my PPL and will begin ATPL training next summer after graduating University.

I will be studying my ATPL with BGS while building hours (as well as working). Once that's done I plan to do my CPL/IR/ME. And that should be us with frozen ATPLs! :)

You mention airline employment in your original post so I assume you want to join an airline most of all. For your frozen ATPL, I would avoid taking any loans out and try to pay as you with your job or save up. Once you have your frozen ATPL you'll (most likely) have to pay ~30k for a type rating. That's when you want to take a loan out.

And yes, I have seen a few people end up in an airline taking this route. ;)

rudestuff
26th Oct 2017, 16:09
Once you take out the loan you have to start paying it back, so I'd get the exams done first then borrow the money. ATPL exams are hard if you're working full time. I had to take a month of work for each set of exams. Personally I didn't touch a plane until I'd passed them all. I think it's better to bunch the flying up together as much as possible. I put a fair bit on 0 percent cards, now working for an airline.

KayPam
26th Oct 2017, 21:53
I'm currently evaluating this route.

The complication is that you need an ATO very close to your home for CPL or IR training.
In my country, some ATOs won't work on saturdays and most will never ever work on a sunday.

So just contact all the ATOs within a one hour drive of your home/work and see what they tell you.
If you don't have any ATO within a one hour drive or so, it will be very complicated.

You could also use this method in order not to need a loan.