PDA

View Full Version : Failed medical, I think the dream is over!

Richy_737
26th Oct 2017, 09:57
I’ve always wanted to become a pilot since I was young. Never thought it would be possible as I didn’t do very well in school and didn’t have the money for training.

I found a job just under 2 years ago that was very rewarding in terms of money if you was willing to put the work in. I then booked trial lesson and began training not long after (only took a few lessons) then went for my medical.

When I was younger I was diagnosed with epilepsy but never had any fits, I never thought it would affect my life until I took my initial class 1. I got the news that I had failed it around February and wanted to appeal. I went to my GP for advice and he said he would contact the hospital and doctor who used to see me when I was younger, but I’ve had no response and I’m waiting again now for the 3rd time this year after the GP has contacted the hospital to try and get more information.

I don’t know what to do but I still would like to appeal but before I do I need to make it as strong as possible, but I doubt I won’t have any luck.

I would be greatful for any advice.

Thanks in advance!

Richy_737
27th Oct 2017, 22:49
Not yet. The first step I took was to go to my GP for advice, he told me he would contact the hospital and get in touch with the doctor who saw me when I was younger, I did this in February and was told to contact the GP after a few weeks for an update, I did that and nothing. After waiting until April and still not hearing back from them I made another appointment with my doctor and the same happened again. I’ve recently been back to my GP and was told he would contact the hospital again. Not sure what to do next as it seems like the hospital aren’t going to help. Thanks for your reply.

RatherBeFlying
28th Oct 2017, 03:06
https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2010/06/seven-in-10-children-grow-out-of-epilepsy/index.htm

Don't know how things work (or don't) on your side of the pond, but I would begin with calling up the office of your previous doctor and the records office of the hospital, let them know that the records are of vital importance to your intended career, ask them how long they will need, and let them know that you will then attend at their office to get a copy - and will be prepared to pay the fee.

If nothing forthcoming, find a sympathetic reporter from whichever media outlet likes human interest stories and enjoys pillorying bureaucracies:E

Radgirl
28th Oct 2017, 13:24
In the UK your GP should have a copy of the letter from the hospital in your notes. I would start with that as it is unlikely the full hospital notes will have further information.

If you do need the hospital notes, the hospital has to keep them for 7 years, or if you were under 16 at the time for 7 years from your 16th birthday. A few Trusts misinterpret the law and go from 7 years from the 18th birthday. So you could write to the chief executive of the Trust asking for your notes if it is within this time frame. You have a legal right unless the notes contain information such as mental health issues that might harm you (whatever that means!). Outside this time still write but you may be unlucky

Do not write to the individual doctor or medical records - the request will get nowhere.

Good luck