PDA

View Full Version : It’s not just Ops management that is out of touch with reality

India Four Two
23rd Oct 2017, 20:04
First, some background. I first flew on CX in the early 80s and for many years, it was my airline of choice, particularly when my company was footing the bill.

However, in the last ten years or so, in about 40 trans-Pacific flights, I think I have only flown on CX twice. Why? Because of prices way higher than the competition.

I was recently looking for a cheap fare from Calgary to Saigon, when I received an email from CX offering sale-priced fares to Asia from Vancouver. I discovered that I could get a seat for about C$950, which was not a bad deal, even allowing for the fact that I would have to buy a Calgary to Vancouver fare.

So I proceeded with the booking process and came to the conditions. Non-refundable - no problem. However the show stopper for me was the inability to reserve a seat. I’m at an age where frequent visits to the lavatory are required so an aisle seat is mandatory!

No problem, I thought. I’ll pay to get a reserved seat. Then I saw that the Yield Management system had decided that $500 would be a reasonable price for me to pay! Thanks, but no thanks. Air Canada and ANA have my business yet again.

Average Fool
23rd Oct 2017, 20:42
Unfortunately, CX is dealing with two very big thorns in their sides at the moment.

Customers and employees.

Not much longer though, little by little they are going elsewhere to be bothersome.

Apple Tree Yard
23rd Oct 2017, 21:20
I think I can help CX with their problem :E Certainly with the 'employee' aspect. They won't have that problem for too much longer, certainly not if an informal polling of pilots and their intentions is any indication.

Arfur Dent
24th Oct 2017, 20:53
Poor old Cathay.
Life's a bugger.......