PDA

View Full Version : LHR Security lost my mobile

str12
17th Jul 2002, 11:34
Travelled from Heathrow to Schiphol recently and handed my mobile to one of the guys at security when he requested it. Yes, I should have put it in a bag or something but I wasn't carrying one.

By the time I got through the metal detector my phone had already gone through the X-ray machine, along the conveyor belt and was stolen by some thieving b@astard :mad:

Security would accept no responsibility and told me to inform the police. The police suggested I claim off my travel insurance...

rupetime
17th Jul 2002, 13:00
And you point is.......

Have to you started a claim with your travel insurance, have you spoken to the local police....perhaps you should of made a report to the police at the time that it was stolen otherwise the insurance company might tell you to get lost on the basis you have no proof.

Maybe claim if the phone has its own insurance ???

RT

str12
17th Jul 2002, 17:32
As I said before I spoke to the Police, I also made a formal report.

No, the phone wasn't insured. Yes, I wished it was. Yes, I did feel stupid.

The point I was making is that when giving Security something you assume you will get it back. This is not always the caseand if they do lose something they won't accept responsibility.

I hope fellow travellers learn by my mistake.

Is the point made RT? If not let me know and I will use simpler language :D

under_exposed
18th Jul 2002, 07:37
str12, Are you sure it was not insured ? You don't always need spacific insurance on the phone. My phone is covered by my home contents personal posessions clause.

str12
18th Jul 2002, 12:22
No, it definitley was not insured, at the time I didn't have a house and therefore no house insurance.

Apparently, about 6-12 people leave/lose their phones at security every day, most are reclaimed but some are left behind. Security have a growing pile of phones so maybe someone should think about addressing this issue? Maybe a phone-shop :eek:

Safe flying all.

Departures Beckham
18th Jul 2002, 15:29
Were there not enough camera's covering the area to identify the thief? Anyone at LHR care to comment?

Pax Vobiscum
18th Jul 2002, 16:08
I've heard stories about exactly the same trick being played with laptops. Since I've heard of it, I always keep a close eye on mine as it goes through, but if the person in front gets stopped at the metal detector and has to go back through ...

Boss Raptor
18th Jul 2002, 18:48
Certain African airports had the cute trick of setting metal detector to high so it beeped at everything - 'take your watch off' - not a chance!

Certainly signs at Gatwick saying 'place mobile in your case thru x-ray' which I do...

Cris L
19th Jul 2002, 10:25
I do not let my bags go through until I am ready to go through the metal detector.

If this means delaying for a few seconds so be it.

Eboy
21st Jul 2002, 19:17
Put your name on your laptop also (tape a business card on the back) and check it. Yours may be an identical model to the passenger before or behind you. A colleague spent a week getting his laptop exchanged internationally!