PDA

View Full Version : Freighter Pilots in Passenger Airlines

Muddassir
21st Oct 2017, 07:12
For major passenger airlines who also operate freighters e.g Lufthansa Cargo, KLM, Emirates, Korean to name a few, are the pilots cross rostered or they have a separate stream of pilots for pax and cargo flights.
Pardon me if it has been discussed already.

EAM
21st Oct 2017, 11:50
Why do you think that would be the case? Freight dogs not being able to make pax announcements? ;-)

Those company who have the freighters on the same AOC operate both, pax and freighters if the have a freight and a pax version of the same a/c.
Those who have a separate cargo company, like Lufthansa which in addition doesn't have a pax version of the 777 operate only freight.
But they can switch back to the main line when they to their command or swap type.

Dufo
21st Oct 2017, 13:28
In my company we fly both cargo and pax (same type), there is absolutely no difference.
Everyone prefers cargo though..

dusk2dawn
21st Oct 2017, 14:16
In my company we fortunately do not fly passengers.

tonytales
21st Oct 2017, 20:07
When, after decades of operation as a freight airline, Tradewinds (USA) started charter passenger service in L-1011's, the pilots were fully capable of flying pax.
However, the sight of some of our old pirates all dressed up in a Captain's rig including neckties was a bit startling.

Metro man
22nd Oct 2017, 03:30
Some airlines subcontract their freight operations out to third parties in order to keep costs down. The aircraft may be in the airlines colours but it’s a completely separate operation, typically with non unionised pilots.

Where the cargo operation is part of the airline, normally there is no differentiation in rostering, though obviously if the aircraft types are different such as B747 freighter with no passenger version then the crews will only fly freight.

Some airlines try to separate the operations and reduce pay for cargo pilots but typically offer earlier promotion to Captain to entice people across.