PDA

View Full Version : BMI baby at Cardiff

BryanC123
17th Jul 2002, 11:27
Well i heard many rumours over the last couple of months to the location of BMI baby new base and not once did i hear Cardiff mentioned as a front runner.

Dont know everyone elses feelings on this but somehow i cant see it as a great move. Its a nightmare to get to and the parking facilities arent exactly crash hot so whats going on.

Some one somewhere must have an idea behind this as they (BMI baby ) have obvoiusly put some thought into it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Money does make the world go round
------------------------------------------------------------------------

fokker70
17th Jul 2002, 14:49
Agree on face value it is not a good move, plenty of cash has a strange way of making the sky in their (baby) world turn pink!
I wish em well, but I cannot believe that it will work. I bet that there was no agreement signed to commit them to CWL for the next X years.

BryanC123
17th Jul 2002, 19:14
Well on the light of info provided maybe I have been a little short sighted. BMI baby moving into Cardiff may be concentrating on the long term goal and development so watch this space.

All the best BMI baby

fokker70
17th Jul 2002, 19:18
A bit of talk a couple of weeks ago re this. CWL too near BRS and all that will happen is that the current BRS traffic will be split. A % of the current Go business comes from Wales. The employment rate in Wales is amongst the lowest in the UK. Average earning for people in Wales is below the UK average.......
Go then changes to EasyJet and competes heavier than Go ever could, it will be difficult for either of them to make money, and then we know what happens...

Re Emirates - Too near to BHX to start a service from CWL and a US service that is not a daily will only attract a leisure element and that is not viable. Apologies if all this sounds a bit neg. but if I were making choices I would look elsewhere.:)

BryanC123
17th Jul 2002, 19:24
Fokker70, i agree with u. It just seems a bit out there. There seems to be so many other airports that are far better equipped to deal with BMI operation. Due to the great success of BMI at EMA i would have thought that they would be looking for an airport with a little more. Cardiff may have potential to grow but its all about the now. All i can say is that CWL must have put forward a pretty good case and many promises.

jocko0102
17th Jul 2002, 23:49
Just because an airport has low cost airlines setting up there and doing well does not mean it will attract long haul scheduled carriers as well.
All the airports in the UK outside the top 6 big ones want the prestige of having scheduled long haul services but in reality most never will.
You only have to look at the fact that at the moment only LL,KK and CC offer a wide range of long haul with the next three offering some long haul services and then no one else.
Why?
Well maybe because,like it or not,they would not be sustainable at every airport that wanted them.