PDA

View Full Version : FAA wants laptops out of checked bags

jugofpropwash
21st Oct 2017, 01:59
https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/national-international/US-Laptops-in-Checked-Bags-Pose-Fire-Explosion-Risk-451718273.html?_osource=SocialFlowFB_CTBrand

I guess they've now decided it's better to have them in the cabin than in the hold.

oleary
21st Oct 2017, 04:01
Don't travel to the USA and don't travel on American owned airlines.

A Squared
21st Oct 2017, 04:39
That's easy for you to say.

Ex Cargo Clown
21st Oct 2017, 05:50
Which genius thought this wasn't possible.

Rwy in Sight
21st Oct 2017, 06:45
Who puts a lap-top on a checked bag?

SLFandProud
21st Oct 2017, 07:29

Someone who never wants to see it again, if they travel through certain airports I use regularly.

(You definitely don't put anything of value in a bag going through Kyiv Borispyl, for example.)

DaveReidUK
21st Oct 2017, 07:45

The millions of passengers who, for the last 6 months, have had to choose between putting it in their hold bag or leaving it behind ?

Basil
21st Oct 2017, 09:14
Yes, I thought that requirement went beyond silly.

Sailvi767
21st Oct 2017, 12:06
Delta airlines had a recent laptop fire that might well have been catastrophic had the device been in checked luggage. Since it was in a overhead bin they were able to fight the fire and place the laptop in a containment bag. This may be one of the drivers to this change.

horizon flyer
21st Oct 2017, 18:04
The rule should be no Lithium batteries of any type in checked baggage should be universal and to be made clear when ticket booked so becomes a given must be hand carried. To high a fire risk.

I agree avoid US airlines, poor passenger care and US airports are a nightmare when transiting, No airside transfers.

Gertrude the Wombat
21st Oct 2017, 18:08
Don't travel to the USA and don't travel on American owned airlines.
My wife does business trips to the USA largely by flying from the UK to Canada on Canadian airlines, and just hops over the border from Canada into the USA (on non-US airlines) for the meetings. About the best she can manage in her job.

Heathrow Harry
21st Oct 2017, 18:40
Sometimes I think the authorities are in league with the bad guys and just want to stop people ever travelling by air at all

Noxegon
21st Oct 2017, 19:12
I agree avoid US airlines, poor passenger care and US airports are a nightmare when transiting, No airside transfers.

Airside transfers are available in the US for all domestic flights and for pre-cleared international flights. Connect through DUB/SNN/AUH/Canada and you'll have this.

IcanCmyhousefromhere
21st Oct 2017, 20:25
Harry, you could well be right ... the first 5 words of the ANO? :)

icemanalgeria
22nd Oct 2017, 18:25
Or Miami MIA I remember BA and Virgin putting cameras in the holds which caught the baggage handlers stealing from the baggage. Don’t know if they managed to stop the gang involved since 2003

Someone who never wants to see it again, if they travel through certain airports I use regularly.

(You definitely don't put anything of value in a bag going through Kyiv Borispyl, for example.)

Herod
22nd Oct 2017, 20:33
Is there still a ban on laptops in hand baggage from certain countries?

Basil
22nd Oct 2017, 20:38
Harry, you could well be right ... the first 5 words of the ANO? :)
They've changed it from my 1989 printed book. In the 2015 edition it's words 8-12 :E

Wangja
6th Nov 2017, 08:43

Me: it's one occasion where I can sit down without the bloody thing open in front of me.

SeenItAll
6th Nov 2017, 21:23
My wife does business trips to the USA largely by flying from the UK to Canada on Canadian airlines, and just hops over the border from Canada into the USA (on non-US airlines) for the meetings. About the best she can manage in her job.

If she's willing to submit to the slaveships of AC Rouge for the TATL in order to avoid US airlines, that says a lot.

parabellum
7th Nov 2017, 01:02
Laptop in hold baggage, battery(s) in hand baggage. Maybe it won't be long before you will be able to hire one,(by previous arrangement), once on board, using your own flash stick with the information you need on it.

Mark in CA
29th Nov 2017, 16:59

I did when I shipped a new one home with me on my last trip to the US. Packed in its original carton inside my suitcase. I don't believe the battery was fully charged, though. Not removable, anyway. The bag was opened and checked by security critters somewhere along the way unbeknownst to me until I unpacked. No issues, and am using it now for this message.