PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 and alcohol interview

superflanker
20th Oct 2017, 08:03
Hi!

Yesterday I went for my class 1 medical in Spain (I have already got the class 2).
I think all the tests went very well, but I have one concern:

They gave me a questionnaire, and one question was somethink like:
"Have you ever got drunk?". I answered yes, thinking they where looking for the honest answer.

Then in the psychologist interview, he asked me about this:
"When was the last time? Have you ever felt out of control while drinking?"
I answered:
"About 4 months, I never felt out of control or did anything that I regret, I just got drunk".

Can they fail me because of this?

Thanks!

superflanker
20th Oct 2017, 10:10
Yes, I don't know why did I answer that. I have absolutely 0 problems with alcohol. I think I got over confident because everything was going so well.

Does anybody know if they fail me for that can I take the tests again?

Thanks!

AngioJet
20th Oct 2017, 10:23
It would seem strange if they failed you just based on verbal information, especially seeing as getting drunk once 4 months ago is in itself not indicative of problem drinking.

There are blood tests that can be taken to see if there is any biochemical suggestion of excess alcohol consumption over time. If, as you say, you don't drink more than small to moderate amounts, these tests will likely be negative and there will then be even more evidence supporting the fact that you do not drink too much and thus, should not be considered unfit to hold a class 1 certificate.

superflanker
20th Oct 2017, 10:43
Thank you for your answer, it leaves me less worried!

space-shuttle-driver
20th Oct 2017, 13:21
They may require a test of your liver values.

Fostex
21st Oct 2017, 07:30
Indeed, they will most likely request LFTs and look specifically at your Gamma GT. It usually shows some degree of elevation in even moderate drinkers and it is very clear when binge or excessive drinking is a regular behaviour.

superflanker
21st Oct 2017, 11:08
I am ok with all test they want to make me. Most weeks I don't even drink a single drop of alcohol.

I just went to a wedding and I drank and ate more than normal, just like 90% of people. :p

superflanker
21st Oct 2017, 11:16
Indeed, they will most likely request LFTs and look specifically at your Gamma GT. It usually shows some degree of elevation in even moderate drinkers and it is very clear when binge or excessive drinking is a regular behaviour.

Just looked into my class 2 test results (did it a year and a half ago) and the GGT is 23.7. I think i'ts normal.

Homsap
23rd Oct 2017, 11:51
I need to add regarding Liver funtion Test, does not always indicate alcohol abuse, the most accurate way is a hair strand test. I have to say i was astounded in a case in the UK High Court (Family Division) when a judge ordered a grandmother to have a LFT, in the false beleif that was an indicator of alcoholism. I have to add that the previous judge in this court had been convicted for drink driving. Case in point was keith Flloyd, a UK TV chef, who died at 62, had a perfectly normal liver upon post mortem, despite being a very heavy drinker.

Fostex
24th Oct 2017, 08:29
I have to say i was astounded in a case in the UK High Court (Family Division) when a judge ordered a grandmother to have a LFT, in the false beleif that was an indicator of alcoholism. .

An abnormal LFT when reviewed in the context of the patient's history is an indicator of alcoholism. The point here being the use of the word 'indicator' rather than 'proof'. In the case you highlighted the judge incorrectly used the medical evidence presented to him/her, although I very much doubt they interpreted the results of the test themselves.

Jesse Pinkman
24th Oct 2017, 15:35
I suspect you'll never hear another word about it. You answered the question honestly and subsequent investigation uncovered nothing untoward. It's nothing.