PDA

View Full Version : Get a life

neil767
30th Nov 2001, 13:07
Two things are really getting on my nerve now, Firstly the people who winge about spelling. Do these people think they will be good pilots because they have excellent grammmar? Also do they think that the people who put topics up on this forum do it to the same standard of applying for a job?

I wish the people on this forum would put it to better use. A lot of the people who responded to "I feel like the luckest people in the world" topic obviously have plenty of time to waste. Some people responded with a mature "Well on yer" but others are just plain childish. What a pain in the arse..........

GonvilleBromhead
30th Nov 2001, 13:27
Shouldn't that read "luckiest" ??

Sorry. ;) ;) ;)

bow5
30th Nov 2001, 13:39
I would have thought it takes more effort to spell wrongly one minute and then correctly the next. Is it really that hard to spell correctly all the time?

No need to get so wound up about it though, both those who can spell and those who can't.

dv8
30th Nov 2001, 13:50
Dont forget
winge
and
grammmar

couldn't help it ;)

Genghis the Engineer
30th Nov 2001, 13:52
I've not read the thread in question, but nonetheless I disagree with you. As an occasional recruiter, if I receive an application from somebody who is unable to take sufficient trouble to get their spelling and grammar right, I'm inclined to believe that their attention to detail will probably be as poor in a safety-critical environment such as a flight deck, hangar, or design office.

G

Kirstey
30th Nov 2001, 13:59
Difference is Genghis - this is a web forum, not a job interview. Many of us (especially those of us who are non professional aviators) are at work and typing quickly because we have a ton of other stuff to do and a director to avoid!!

A job application is a different story - you take your time over these things to get them 'spot on'. I think my problem with the spelling brigade is they are using it to points score rather than be constructive!

Wee Weasley Welshman
30th Nov 2001, 14:02
I think spelling and punctuation are variables according the medium. There is definitely a spectrum these days ranging from an SMS text message through to a job application/CV.

If you are making lots of posts, trying to do so quickly due to time/cost considerations and accept that those writings will dissapear into the electronic ether within a few days ( i.e. PPRuNe ) then the odd misspelling is OK. I certainly do it. Lifes too short to go back and edit and for some reason I rarely seem to write first in notepad and then cut and paste which is the answer..

distaff_beancounter
30th Nov 2001, 14:21

Here, here (or should it be hear, hear?)

:rolleyes:

Rob 747
30th Nov 2001, 15:03
Me too kirstey,but not for long!!

A new solution for people with too much time! (http://www.dictionary.com/)

PS. I dont understand dictionaries! How can you "look up" a word if you dont know how to spell it?

tailboom2000
30th Nov 2001, 15:35
do you jaa pilots hav to spel. you only need to rtead which box to tic and your menu at mcdonalds (only after youve done your MCC]. in that order.

no problem. ok?

Polar_stereographic
30th Nov 2001, 15:40
But but,

Surely a prerequisit for anyone reading these and similar forums, is the ability to filter out what's not worth reading.

Spelling threads do that for me, as do others.

My 2d's worth as it's Friday

PS

neil767
30th Nov 2001, 15:49
Genghis the Engineer & DV8. Yes you do have a point, if people cannot grasp simple grammar than they have less chance of becoming a pro pilot from a recruitment angle. My point is this is an informal forum and a lot of it's members do not have the right to judge other's ability from a typo in a quick topic they have raised or a fast reply to one in their lunch time.

DV8, yes I made a typo's in my original post, but I still got a A at A level in English Language......

captainkilner
30th Nov 2001, 18:01
That's what i said diddlelie

I used to be dislexic but i'm dor reet nooow

:) :) :) :) :) :)

PingPong
30th Nov 2001, 18:24
Surely the point is that if people want others to read their post, which is clearly the intention, then it is a matter of simple courtesy to make some sort of effort.

GonvilleBromhead
30th Nov 2001, 18:45
Surely that should be "I still got AN A at English...".

Oh crikey, bloody lunchtime team pi$$ups, fatal aren't they !

Ok, as I started the other thread (can of worms), can I just suggest that we all accept spelling (in whichever form) as is. Unless it is blatantly crap (Ronch,Tailboom etc) then let it go, concentrate on the issues perhaps ??

..and please, please don't use it as a form of attack against anyone, really unimaginative at the least !

(and the other thread was just meant to highlight the crap abuse some contributors were getting due to spelling, really not worth the time it takes to write) !

So, who's coming down the pub later then ??

;) :D ;)

wheels up
1st Dec 2001, 02:18
Couldn't help notice the irony 767:

Are you not whinging about people who whinge?

Have you not just started another arbitrary thread yourself?

Woof

Springbok220
1st Dec 2001, 02:38
Good Christ, what a boring thread... :rolleyes:

scroggs
1st Dec 2001, 03:58
Neil767,
this is a bit of a cheek, as I'm closing this somewhat less-than-useful thread, but you did boast of gaining an 'A' at A-level in English.

and a lot of it's members do not have the right to judge other's ability from a typo in a quick topic they have raised or a fast reply to one in their lunch time.
DV8, yes I made a typo's in my original post, but I still got a A at A level in English Language......

You, like many contributors to Pprune, do not appear to understand the possessive apostrophe. The word "it's", with the apostrophe between the t and s, is purely and simply an abbreviation for "it is" or "it has". It exists because the word "its", without the apostrophe, means 'belonging to it' - i.e. it's the only exception to the normal possessive apostrophe rule! The word "other's" actually means 'belonging to [one] other', whereas what you mean is 'belonging to others'. Therefore, the correct expression is "others'".
The other use for an apostrophe is where letters have been removed from an expression. "Typo's", in the correct context, would be right in that the apostrophe represents the abbreviation - the word is actually typographicals - but in your context, you should have used "typo".
If you want to boast about your facility with the English language, at least make sure your boast is grammatically correct!

edited because I forgot to close the topic with this post!!

[ 01 December 2001: Message edited by: Scroggs ]