PDA

View Full Version : Sunwing flyer sues because he got sparkling wine not champagne

PAXboy
19th Oct 2017, 22:06
I think it's not as frivolous as the headline and Sunwings (Canada) make out:

Sunwing flyer sues because he got sparkling wine not champagne - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41669611)

I can now sit back and enjoy the fireworks of who thinks the action correct action and those with other views ... :E

Capot
19th Oct 2017, 23:52
No fireworks....but I would accept his lawyer's assertion that
the class action hinges on misleading marketing and not the quality of the wine served. Deliberately false promises that if you pay X you will get Y, when what you actually get is nothing of the sort, are cynical frauds and I hope the perpetrator gets dumped on, if only to discourage the practice.

DaveReidUK
20th Oct 2017, 06:26
Clearly a case of cru error.

aox
20th Oct 2017, 09:15
On another forum, one careful reader has pointed out that the description actually states

"To start your vacation with a toast, our Cabin Crew will be offering you a complimentary glass of sparkling wine"

He's used the internet archive to find an earlier version, which has

Complimentary welcome glass of sparkling wine along with other complimentary stuff like meals and face towels.

So champagne service is a name of a service category, not necessarily a promise to supply actual champagne. He points out that being a gold service member with a car hire firm doesn't reward him with actual gold, and he hasn't got any platinum from a hotel chain.

Andy_S
20th Oct 2017, 12:09
No fireworks....but I would accept his lawyer's assertion that
Deliberately false promises that if you pay X you will get Y, when what you actually get is nothing of the sort, are cynical frauds and I hope the perpetrator gets dumped on, if only to discourage the practice.

But to say he got "nothing of the sort" isn't remotely true.

What he actually got was something of the sort. Maybe not what precisely was advertised, but hardly a massive difference either.

I wonder how much he’s suing for? If it’s for the entire cost of the holiday I guess he’ll have to prove that he specifically booked that particular package just because he thought a glass of champagne was thrown in. Good luck with that……

I suppose in an ideal world he ought to be awarded the difference in cost between a glass of champagne and a glass of sparkling wine, but be made to bear his own legal costs.

S.o.S.
20th Oct 2017, 16:03
PAXboy has too much time on his hands bringing us these stories. :rolleyes:
DaveReidUK is a wag. :)

ExXB
20th Oct 2017, 16:07
If it ain’t Champagne*, don’t call it champagne. Simples.

*The real stuff from a specific part of France.

I find many Proseccos to be superior to many of their French cousins.

Harry Wayfarers
20th Oct 2017, 18:58
So if I offer a 5 star service but I don't actually physically hand to you five stars, one two three four five, does that mean I have failed to provide the offered service to you?

The one that did make me smile though was the depressant who went to McDonalds for a 'Happy Meal' and he's sueing them because it didn't make him happy :)

https://www.8****.net/society/man-sues-mcdonalds-still-depressed-eating-happy-meal/

alserire
20th Oct 2017, 21:51
There's no end to some people's stupidity. And no beginning to their intelligence.

The fact that 1,600 people may join this fool makes me reassess what I previously thought about Canadians.

Harry Wayfarers
21st Oct 2017, 00:44
If it ain’t Champaign*, don’t call it champagne. Simples.

*The real stuff from a specific part of France.

I find many Proseccos to be superior to many of their French cousins.

Yeah, quite right, sue the :mad:

https://bdly.uk/520x520/products/images/champagne.jpg

+TSRA
22nd Oct 2017, 23:54
The fact that 1,600 people may join this fool makes me reassess what I previously thought about Canadians.

I wouldn’t, as there are about 35 million other Canadians (myself included) rolling their eyes at those 1,600 hoping they move south at some point. :)

Mr Oleo Strut
28th Oct 2017, 16:24
This reminds me of the occasion some years ago in a Californian restaurant when I was offered a glass of 'Champagne' which turned out to be a local sparkling wine, good but certainly not Champagne. I was feeling distinctly Bolshie so I delivered what I considered to be a polite and masterly mini-dissertation on La France, provenance and proper Champagne, both the region and the wine.

That did not go down at all well with the diners or staff who were adamant that any sparkling or pink wine presented in a Champagne-shaped bottle qualified to be described as such, and that anyway French wine came from American stock. Luckily there were no lawyers present to take up the legal cudgels but an otherwise pleasant lunch was spoiled. Perhaps I should have just shut-up and let it go. On the other hand, why should I have done so in the face of such crass ignorance? I don't think I would do it these days, though. I'm much older and a wee bit wiser., I hope.

PAXboy
29th Oct 2017, 01:42
The older I get, the more likely I am to point out commercial shortcomings. I try to be gentler with individuals, but, companies must understand what they are serving!

EESDL
29th Oct 2017, 01:48
DaveReidUK
A noteworthy contribution ;-)