PDA

View Full Version : Safety Pilot

HeliboyDreamer
18th Oct 2017, 17:05
Hi guys,

When someone tell you that you will have to fly with a safety pilot does this mean that the aircraft you are flying on MUST have dual commands or the safety pilot can just be sitting in the front passenger sit without control?

I this usually a requirement from insurances or the companies themselves?

CappyJax
18th Oct 2017, 17:24
Is they don't have controls in front of them, they are a passenger, not a pilot.

Rotate too late
18th Oct 2017, 18:25
I have control!...........oh bugger. :bored:

MarcK
19th Oct 2017, 00:53
In the US (not applicable to UK, probably). 91.109(c)(3):Except in the case of lighter-than-air aircraft, that aircraft is equipped with fully functioning dual controls. However, simulated instrument flight may be conducted in a single-engine airplane, equipped with a single, functioning, throwover control wheel, in place of fixed, dual controls of the elevator and ailerons, when -
So limited to the Bonanza and it's ilk. No rotorcraft.

HeliboyDreamer
19th Oct 2017, 08:38
Ok by the look of it it seem that dual would be required.

For some reason I thought that it would be ok to have a pilot mentoring you in your flight without the need to have controls and this could still be considered as a flight with a safety pilot.

I take it that if you will be flying with a safety pilot then that person MUST be able to take control if needed (not just telling you what to do).

I this usually a requirement from insurances or the companies themselves?

Mustapha Cuppa
19th Oct 2017, 12:12
What do you mean by "safety pilot"?

What is the reason for this "safety pilot"?

Or are you talking about an observer?

HeliboyDreamer
20th Oct 2017, 09:00
What do you mean by "safety pilot"?

What is the reason for this "safety pilot"?

Or are you talking about an observer?

It is just that I have been told by a company that if they took me I would need to be flying with a safety pilot due to my low hours. Now I don't beleive that company has any aircraft equiped with dual control, hence the reason I was asking if the safety pilot need controls or can just be adviser.

Also I wanted to know if someone tell you that would it be a requirement from insurances or the companies themselves or any sort of regulation?

Camp Freddie
20th Oct 2017, 10:23
In the UK it’s relatively common to have a safety pilot and I have been that safety pilot myself.

Almost always in my experience it’s for a PPL newly rated on a turbine helicopter such as a B206/R66 who has no turbine experience, and it’s normally for the first 5 hours after test.

The main reason is to protect the starts, as it can be pretty expensive if it’s overtemped, I don’t know if it’s an Insurance requirement, but usually a company requirement.

The dual controls will always be fitted, I can’t imagine that any professional pilot would willingly sit next to a low hours PPL without the duals fitted, (unless they were mental of course 😋)

The PPL should not take it as assault on his her ego, but as a reasonable effort to prevent the engine being overtemped simply due to lack of experience of the PPL.

Hope this helps

Old Age Pilot
20th Oct 2017, 13:45
...pilot can just be sitting in the front passenger sit without control?Surely, a pilot without controls is a passenger.

HeliboyDreamer
20th Oct 2017, 15:51
In the UK it’s relatively common to have a safety pilot and I have been that safety pilot myself.

Almost always in my experience it’s for a PPL newly rated on a turbine helicopter such as a B206/R66 who has no turbine experience, and it’s normally for the first 5 hours after test.

The main reason is to protect the starts, as it can be pretty expensive if it’s overtemped, I don’t know if it’s an Insurance requirement, but usually a company requirement.

The dual controls will always be fitted, I can’t imagine that any professional pilot would willingly sit next to a low hours PPL without the duals fitted, (unless they were mental of course 😋)

The PPL should not take it as assault on his her ego, but as a reasonable effort to prevent the engine being overtemped simply due to lack of experience of the PPL.

Hope this helps

Thanks, it all seem clear now.

albatross
20th Oct 2017, 19:13
If a "Safety Pilot" is required and I was requested to perform as such I would demand full duals be installed. Also there would be an extensive pre-flight briefing.
Something I have often seen on newly minted fixed wing float plane pilots in Canada. I did it a few times and aside from a little advice on recce of lakes before landing never had to take control.