PDA

View Full Version : European airlines closing

davidjohnson6
16th Oct 2017, 22:12
Monarch have already closed their doors, and Air Berlin seem about to cease operations in their own name. Air Norway / North Flying have just suspended scheduled operations. Maybe Belair will carry on - or maybe not. It's dubious as to whether Skywork in Switzerland will be granted an extension to their AOC beyond the end of October and Nextjet in Sweden is looking pretty ropey as well with a temporary AOC until mid-November and no AOC extension in sight yet. Oh yeah and there's also Alitalia going through the bankruptcy process (again !). I know they are not in trouble but it's looking likely that the Czech airlines CSA and Travel Service will be merged into a single carrier sometime in 2018

I know that after the fat months of summer, the autumn can be pretty lean and this is the time when airlines often have to face the music but are there any other airlines in Europe in serious trouble right now ?

TSR2
16th Oct 2017, 22:47
are there any other airlines in Europe in serious trouble right now ?

It's not pleasant to speculate on the downfall of any business without clear evidence.

davidjohnson6
16th Oct 2017, 23:06
May not be pleasant, but in the last month it feels like the chess pieces on the board have suddenly begun moving very quickly. I think there will be announcements concerning a bit more consolidation activity before the year is out.

whitelighter
17th Oct 2017, 04:20
Everyone seems so obsessed by what colour the airframe is painted.
All airlines are now budget, they all just offer a seat in either an airbus or Boeing.
Thee is nothing to tell them apart.

The same number of planes will fly.
If Junker gets his way it will just be EU air anyway so who cares

Plane.Silly
17th Oct 2017, 07:13
It's been a race to the bottom, everyone's been struggling and feeling the strain. THere has been overcapacity for ages and free-market rules will naturally get rid of the least effective.

Thats why i think operators who use their frames more than 4 sectors a day 'should' fare better than others, making the operation much more effective and reducing fixed costs (variable ones are another story) and therefore reducing their chance at collapsing.

Then there are those who try and grow too fast. Norwegian have admitted they went too fast and people now starting to question their future. Alitalia/Air berlin probably grew too big and couldn't sustain it, and Monarch was just poor management. Other airlines will hopefully learn from these experiences and avoid collapsing too

SealinkBF
17th Oct 2017, 10:11
All airlines are now budget, they all just offer a seat in either an airbus or Boeing.

How on earth is this to do with Junker? :ugh:

nguba
18th Oct 2017, 07:56
It’s clear from events this year that European Aviation is entering another phase of consolidation.

However, it’s not helpful to staff to speculate about individual airlines. Certain self-styled “aviation analysts” on Twitter caused a lot of upset for Monarch staff in advance of its closure with wild speculation and guesswork.

Harry Wayfarers
18th Oct 2017, 09:25

What a load of bull....!

Swiss ... Fantastic, I'll use them every time if I could and the price was right.

Cathay Pacific ... I love Cantonese food and they stuffed me full of three multi-course meals of it between UK and Philippines.

KLM ... I've flown them many times, hit or miss, and the catering on City Hopper is sh1te, better on mainline.

Lufthansa ... I'll fly with them but I won't go out of my way to do so.

Austrian Airlines ... Their service was more personal and friendly on the Tyrolean CRJ's & Fokkers than on Austrian's Airbus's

Ukraine International ... Really good, order Slavutich beer because it comes in 500ml cans and the crew will happily serve seconds of it.

BA ... No way.

SAS ... I had pleasant trips with them and would happily use them again.

Turkish Airlines ... Not in a hurry to fly with them again.

Air France ... Ditto.

LuxAir ... OK, very professional.

Cyprus Airways ..A shame they've gone, I had a good round trip to Cyprus with them, loved the A310's.

MALEV Hungarian ... Really enjoyed them, a shame they've gone also, loved the F70's.

Who gives a :mad: about the paint job, it's about the level of service, and what's this nonsense that the airline world has gone all budget?

litefoot1
18th Oct 2017, 09:39
Monarch have already closed their doors, and Air Berlin seem about to cease operations in their own name. Air Norway / North Flying have just suspended scheduled operations. Maybe Belair will carry on - or maybe not. It's dubious as to whether Skywork in Switzerland will be granted an extension to their AOC beyond the end of October and Nextjet in Sweden is looking pretty ropey as well with a temporary AOC until mid-November and no AOC extension in sight yet. Oh yeah and there's also Alitalia going through the bankruptcy process (again !). I know they are not in trouble but it's looking likely that the Czech airlines CSA and Travel Service will be merged into a single carrier sometime in 2018

On a much smaller scale, there was also Citywing.

Plane.Silly
18th Oct 2017, 09:43
Not really sure that counts, since they were a virtual airline using leases from Van Air