View Full Version : Air Asia Again.

RodH
15th Oct 2017, 20:43
This story is from the ABC News Web Site
This Air Asia flight from Perth to Bali turned around after mid-air emergency
By James Carmody
Posted about 9 hours ago

AirAsia X Airbus
PHOTO: The AirAsia flight was forced to turn around after a loss of cabin pressure. (Supplied: Wikimedia Commons)
RELATED STORY: AirAsia facing another safety probe after 'washing machine' flightRELATED STORY: Delays hit AirAsia flights after mid-air turnback; some passengers lose faithRELATED STORY: 'Passengers told to say a prayer' as AirAsia flight turns back
MAP: Perth 6000
An Indonesia AirAsia flight travelling from Perth to Denpasar with 151 passengers on board was turned back on Sunday morning after a mid-air emergency.

Flight QZ 535 was 25 minutes out of Perth when an indicator alerted the pilot to a loss of cabin pressure.

The pilot made the decision to turn back and emergency services were placed on standby at Perth Airport.

Video from passengers on board showed oxygen masks drop from the ceiling and passengers being told to brace.

The aircraft landed safely at 12:40pm and there were no injuries to passengers.

The flight was cancelled and passengers were re-booked on later flights to Denpasar.

Passengers told Channel Nine they had sent text messages to loved ones fearing they were going to die.

Engineers are tonight examining the aircraft. story from the ABC News Web site this morning.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Bushboy68
15th Oct 2017, 22:04
Geraldton area again..
Methinks AirAsia should avoid gero, seems to be a bad luck area :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

RENURPP
15th Oct 2017, 22:06
It “PLUMMETED” - plunge, fall headlong, hurtle, nosedive, dive, drop, crash.
"the plane plummeted to the ground" the Airasia plane plummeted 22000 feet in seconds” I’m guessing it took about 240 - 300 seconds.
Or did it descend?

The cabin crew were panicking and screaming, or were they calling out their commands? (Maybe not the commands we might expect IF the reports are accurate.��������������)

Bushboy68
15th Oct 2017, 22:34
Lost cabin pressure due to a technical issue, pilot would have descended to better air,
It’s more news worthy to say plunged, audio shows the crew screaming,passengers quiet lol

777Nine
16th Oct 2017, 00:48
Taken from the SMH:

"A technical problem caused the aircraft to plunge from 32,000 feet to 10,000 feet without warning"

I seriously can't believe that journalists are allowed to write this nonsense. Then again, it is Farifax media.

RENURPP
16th Oct 2017, 01:00
Taken from the SMH:

"A technical problem caused the aircraft to plunge from 32,000 feet to 10,000 feet without warning"

I seriously can't believe that journalists are allowed to write this nonsense. Then again, it is Farifax media.

The ABC is no better😭😭😭

WingNut60
16th Oct 2017, 01:16
From what I saw on TV (reasonably measured comments), reaction from cabin crew initiated similar reaction in passengers.

More important that they look good than know what they're doing.
What happens when you follow the SQ model but skip the training.

Seems many interpreted rapid descent as spiral dive - probably mindful of incident SUB-KUL 3 years ago.

PoppaJo
16th Oct 2017, 01:24
Whilst I’m highly critical of the way this company has always operated and disregard for any sort of standard training procedures with no movement on that front, this is really a non event that occurs quite regularly and I have even had the joy of experiencing this in the same aircraft type a few years back.

Questions for Airbus I think.

Passengers should not be whining either. They had a choice to fly them, most of them would know, in what has been a very public thrashing over their operations in the media, that they are not well regarded. But lowest cost always wins right?

Moneymoneymoneymoney
16th Oct 2017, 01:34
I guess Air Asia need to cut more costs to eliminate all the screaming flight attendants.

sierra5913
16th Oct 2017, 02:00
I bet for a moment those passengers were regretting buying that $49 special....

They got away with it. Those unfortunate souls on QZ8501 didn't.

Apologies to those offended.

John Citizen
16th Oct 2017, 02:31
"It plummeted/plunged (20,000 ft, for no apparent reason), and then is what caused the oxygen masks to drop"

The passengers later caught another flight. (ABC news)

Would most passengers seriously just catch the next flight after being in such a plummet/plunge (drop, freefall, weightlessness, negative g, drop out of the sky out of control) ?

Probably not even I would ever fly again.

stevieboy330
16th Oct 2017, 03:33
When is CASA going to ban these idiots from Australian airspace?
They will kill a plane full of Australians soon.
They have incident after incident & CASA is doing nothing !!!!!
They had a disgraceful diversion back to Perth earlier this year & have killed a lot of people in two separate fatal crashes in the last couple of years !
People of Australia YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

morno
16th Oct 2017, 04:11
Stevieboy,
Whilst I agree with what you say overall, these are 2 different airlines.

AirAsia X who had the engine failure I understand are Malaysian.

AirAsia who is under the spotlight for this incident, is Indonesian.

morno

PoppaJo
16th Oct 2017, 04:27
When is CASA going to ban these idiots from Australian airspace?
They will kill a plane full of Australians soon.
They have incident after incident & CASA is doing nothing !!!!!
They had a disgraceful diversion back to Perth earlier this year & have killed a lot of people in two separate fatal crashes in the last couple of years !
People of Australia YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.
They will never be banned it’s too political.

The Perth diversion is nothing compared to what’s yet to come. I’m still awaiting the outcome of the 150m near miss with an A320 above Coolangatta. Then they lugged that damaged A330 back to Melbourne instead of getting it down.

CurtainTwitcher
16th Oct 2017, 04:30
ESzxGYDkwG8

das Uber Soldat
16th Oct 2017, 04:59
Then they lugged that damaged A330 back to Melbourne instead of getting it down.
It was damaged? Did you mean the brain of the pic?

Capn Bloggs
16th Oct 2017, 06:13
I've heard Melborn is allegedly the centre of the universe but didn't they lug it back to Perth? FOBF! :{

Emerg Descent on Flt Aware looked OK: max 3000fpm initially but around 2500fpm thereafter.

WingNut60
16th Oct 2017, 06:39
I've heard Melborn is allegedly the centre of the universe but didn't they lug it back to Perth? FOBF! :{

Emerg Descent on Flt Aware looked OK: max 3000fpm initially but around 2500fpm thereafter.

No. Didn't you read the above?
It plummeted, PLUMMETED, I tell you.

Actually, main problem seems to have just been with the reaction of the cabin crew.

morno
16th Oct 2017, 06:43
Can’t have been much of an emergency descent at only 3,000fpm

Glorified Dus Briver
16th Oct 2017, 07:10
Taken from the SMH:

Not to mention, the "plunge" was over a matter of nanoseconds :ugh::ugh::ugh:

caneworm
16th Oct 2017, 07:49
Actually, main problem seems to have just been with the reaction of the cabin crew.

Hey! Go easy on the 32kg princesses WingNut. If there's ever an evacuation all the pax need to do is follow them (& their duty free) out the door.

packapoo
16th Oct 2017, 22:12
Stevieboy,
Whilst I agree with what you say overall, these are 2 different airlines.

AirAsia X who had the engine failure I understand are Malaysian.

AirAsia who is under the spotlight for this incident, is Indonesian.

morno

Above all else, sometimes, just sometimes, you get what you paid for.....:=

Jeps
16th Oct 2017, 22:58
Sadly, if this trajectory continues (and there is no reason to think that it won’t) this airline and all of its subsidiaries will be responsible for another fatal incident.

caneworm
16th Oct 2017, 23:01
This is truely crap journalism.
Any self respecting journo would have included a CGI video of what the aircraft crashing into a school/hospital/orphanage would look like.

PoppaJo
17th Oct 2017, 07:18
It’s about time somebody at CASA got some big cahoonas and actually said, ‘until you resolve your maintenance issues, your flights to Australia are suspended’.

AirAsia scare: Experts warn against flying cost-cutting carrier (http://thenewdaily.com.au/life/travel/2017/10/16/airasia-indonesia-australia/)

KABOY
17th Oct 2017, 08:46
Hey! Go easy on the 32kg princesses WingNut

Any self respecting journo would have included a CGI video of what the aircraft crashing into a school/hospital/orphanage would look like.

Great contribution to the thread cane worm!

This Airline has buried one airplane in the Java Sea, had numerous runway over runs amongst its group airlines as well as other incidents and you want to dramatise the incident?

I think the facts are enough without you or the press embellishing the story.

caneworm
17th Oct 2017, 20:45
Kaboy,
I have done my fair share of contracts & secondments to SEA carriers to know that product/service delivery failure may very well occur when it's needed most.

If you care to re-read my post you may note that my comments were not directed to those involved but squarely at the perennially disappointing media services. You missed the point completely which is easily done it seems when outrage goes looking for a home.

Sub Orbital
18th Oct 2017, 04:29
So what actually happened?

AerialPerspective
18th Oct 2017, 18:14
Taken from the SMH:

News are no different... remember they owned Channel 10 once and I well remember a bimbo journalist who knew nothing reporting on the scene (why would you need to go all the way out to an airport to stand in front of a Qantas aircraft to do the report???) and telling the audience that it had to turn back on a flight to Sydney because of "... a hydraulic fuel leak". I remember thinking at the time, gee, really, must be super eager to save money if they're using hydraulic fluid for fuel!!! Seriously, these people know nothing, report crap and never retract it.

Kelly Slater
18th Oct 2017, 22:01
If it was going down at only 2500 fpm then it didn't plummet enough. Surely the Bus can do better than that.

morno
18th Oct 2017, 22:06
That’s barely a normal descent. 320kts with the rumblers out tonight was an easy 5,500ft/min

myshoutcaptain
18th Oct 2017, 23:12
Morno - A320 with Autopilot engaged only delivers half speed brake. To gain full , Autopilot Off. Autopilot is recommended and with unknown structural integrity it would appear on face value these fellas did ok. Bus can attain 5500fpm + if you get rid of the lot and pole it.

Ken Borough
19th Oct 2017, 02:30
Let's put the reported pax reaction into perspective!

Most of us here are either seasoned aviators or seasoned travellers, and have probably experiened an emergency descent. We know what happens and what to expect. The casual passenger has no idea, especially if there isn't any warning. So, if one is sitting in 65k in relative serenity when all hell apparently breaks loose with masks appearing and the aircraft dropping like a proverbial brick with attendant noise and shudder, why in hell wouldn't he or she be terrified?

Ken Borough
19th Oct 2017, 02:58
OK. Let’s seat him or her in 13E.

morno
19th Oct 2017, 03:38
Morno - A320 with Autopilot engaged only delivers half speed brake. To gain full , Autopilot Off. Autopilot is recommended and with unknown structural integrity it would appear on face value these fellas did ok. Bus can attain 5500fpm + if you get rid of the lot and pole it.

I know. I still had the A/P on and 320kts pegged when I got to it last night.

Anyway, only pointing out that 2,500fpm doesn't really seem like much of an emergency descent, unless there was some serious structural integrity issues, which doesn't appear to be the case. However, what's to say they didn't have a higher rate of descent anyway. I wouldn't rely solely on flight aware.

Jeps
19th Oct 2017, 06:03
Oddly enough Air Asia’s Wikipedia page doesn’t have an ‘incidents and accidents’ section. I must be mistaken about the 7 incidents in 20 months in Australia alone.

WingNut60
19th Oct 2017, 14:27
Oddly enough Air Asia’s Wikipedia page doesn’t have an ‘incidents and accidents’ section. I must be mistaken about the 7 incidents in 20 months in Australia alone.

Simples. Add one and see if it disappears.

Metro man
20th Oct 2017, 11:12
Add another, Plane malfunctions on landing, disrupts operations at Tacloban airport - The Manila Times Online (http://www.manilatimes.net/plane-malfunctions-landing-disrupts-operations-tacloban-airport/357631/)

THE runway of the Daniel Z. Romualdez Airport in Tacloban City was briefly closed after an Airbus A320 of AirAsia flight Z2-321 from Manila stalled as it landed, the aviation regulator said on Friday. Passengers and crew are safe.

Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP) said the incident occurred while the aircraft was about to turn toward the airport’s taxiway past 8 a.m.

The CAAP said the airport’s control tower received a call from the pilot saying that its plane nose wheel steering stopped working.

AirAsia management said that the airline ground crew rushed to the area and immediately transferred the 164 passengers and four crewmembers to safety.

According to CAAP spokesman Eric Apolonio, an arriving Cebu Pacific flight to Tacloban from Manila was unable to land on its scheduled flight while a departing flight of another Cebu Pacific plane had to wait until airport authorities cleared the disabled plane off the runway.

Airline officials claimed that the Daniel Z. Romualdez Airport lacked equipment such as a tow truck and other equipment needed to salvage the damaged aircraft.

The airport, in 2013, was ranked as the eighth-busiest airport by passenger volume out of the 45 commercial airports in the Philippines.

As of 11 a.m., AirAsia management announced that the plane was eventually towed from the runway and the airport resumed normal operations. BENJIE VERGARA

wheels_down
20th Oct 2017, 15:15
Engineering costs money.

topcap
4th Nov 2017, 04:18
I travel to and around Asia quite frequently using Air Asia, Air Asia X, Jetstar Asia, Jetstar Pacific Vietnam (which I call Jetstar Pathetic), Lion Air (the worst), Tiger, Vietjet Air (very good) and Vietnam Airlines.
As a Commercial Pilot I am fully aware of Safety Regulations and notice the cabin crews in many instances are not enforcing the rules - like passengers walking around while the aircraft is taxiing, mobile phones and laptops not being turned off, passengers getting luggage out of overhead lockers before the aircraft has parked , and in one instance a kid leaning over the top of a seat while the aircraft was on final approach into Singapore in full view of the crew who failed to act.
The other problem I have noticed with Emergencies is that frequently it is reported that Pilots are not communicating with the passengers to advise them what is occurring in order to calm the situation down and when as in the Air Asia flight the Flight Attendants are screaming in panic and crying as described by passengers on that flight then there is a serious training problem and the passengers claim that it was only when the Flight Attendants started to panic that they started to panic. Those staff should be sacked.
People are basically not stupid but the majority know nothing about aircraft so they are entitled to be calmly advised by Pilots during an emergency as to what is occurring and the Flight Attendants should at all times be calm and decisive in their actions.
It's not happening on many Asian Airlines.

Rated De
4th Nov 2017, 04:44
Caveat emptor

Adversarial industrial posture at airlines is replicated in most industries.

The problem with this approach is that the idea is it assumes that you can pursue ever lowering of remuneration or 'labour unit cost' without compromising product; poor service in a restaurant. So to the practitioner a pilot or flight attendant is another labour unit to be minimised. They have by design no connection with the operation, little understanding or how revenue is actually generated nor do they care.

The modern derivations of airlines are the manifestation (Ryanair, AirAsia and Jetstar are industrially motivated business models) of the insistence that labour unit cost be minimised without repercussion. The reality when something goes wrong shows to all present that sometimes quality costs....

The HR/IR people are never present, always fly premier airlines and have their weekends off

Centaurus
4th Nov 2017, 14:01
The casual passenger has no idea, especially if there isn't any warning. So, if one is sitting in 65k in relative serenity when all hell apparently breaks loose with masks appearing and the aircraft dropping like a proverbial brick with attendant noise and shudder, why in hell wouldn't he or she be terrified?

On the other hand you can be like the little old lady on her first flight Nauru to Apia, Samoa. A four hour flight normally. 30 years ago. 737-200. Dark night departure.

20 minutes out of Nauru 31,000 ft uncommanded de-pressurisation with cabin rising. Emergency descent started (rightly or wrongly as it turned out). Oxy masks didn't drop because cabin never got above 14,000 ft. Cabin was under control passing 25,000 ft and aircraft levelled out and decision made to go back to Nauru. Appropriate PA made to passengers and cabin attendants. All OK down the back except for a few sore ears.

Landed Nauru and passengers disembarked while techs fixed the pressurisation.
As the little old lady was helped down the stairs, she said quite serenely to the cabin attendant "That was a quick flight - Are we at Apia already?" :D

PW1830
4th Nov 2017, 23:50
Approaching Norfolk in a DC4, shut down #3 engine. LOL calls cabin crew and asks if we are getting close to Norfolk. Cabin crew reassuringly says yes. LOL smugly replies - I thought so they are starting to stop the engines.
A different generation of Pax (and crew).

WingNut60
22nd Nov 2017, 00:59
From Geoffery Thomas - West Australian newspaper

Report into Air Asia flight QF535 found pressurization system to blame

AirAsia flight QF535 was on its way to Bali from Perth and had started climbing from 24,000ft to its initial cruise altitude of 34,000ft when problems emerged.Luckily, Geoff and AJ seem to be on good speaking terms....

Should be able to find newly released Interim Report on ATSB site or;

https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2017/aair/ao-2017-098/

piratepete
30th Nov 2017, 05:28
Early this morning on joining the ILS at Kuala Lumpurs second airport was asked by ATC "is the Localiser okay?".Replied yes its seems normal but a little later I noticed it was in fact offset from the runway center line......On landing the reason for this became apparent.During type rating circuit training the A320 had departed the end of the runway and crashed in to the LOC equipment!!No injuries apparently but the 320 was badly damaged.The usual airline spin stated there was an "incident"..........AGAIN.

Icarus2001
30th Nov 2017, 07:31
What, the tower staff did not notice an A320 run off the end?

http://www.thesundaily.my/news/2017/11/30/aircraft-skids-subang-airport-during-training-session

PoppaJo
30th Nov 2017, 09:12
That accident (not incident) pretty much sums up their check and training standards.

I’ve noted the ATSB has extended a few open incidents with this mob since the last few have occurred. Let’s hope they are having a closer look and digging deeper.

Bug Smasher Smasher
1st Dec 2017, 02:38
ATSB report. (https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2017/aair/ao-2017-114/)

Jeps
1st Dec 2017, 04:13
I would say people are only going to pay attention when this mob is involved in a fatal incident. But that’s already occurred.....

4 Holer
1st Dec 2017, 05:10
What is your CASA going to say when they spear an A330 into the houses in an Australia major city, all onboard and many on the ground dead with a smoldering wreck and a bunch of houses to clear up. Imagine the TV footage ???

"In the interest of Safety "

" Safe Skies for All except AS pax "

What BS all talk no action tick tock tick tock.

wheels_down
4th Dec 2017, 01:15
Why did the ATSB mark this early turn as an accident not incident?

This mob skating on wafer thin ice now.

Capn Bloggs
4th Dec 2017, 01:32
Why did the ATSB mark this early turn as an accident not incident?
It is an incident.

wheels_down
4th Dec 2017, 01:44
Looks like a keying error as it was marked as accident when it was released, now incident!

Either way they are an accident waiting to happen.

Ken Borough
4th Dec 2017, 05:04
What does a carrier have to do to be banned from Australia's airspace? I recall that Garuda were once banned in Europe but allowed to operate to/from Australia. At what point do the Australian regulators step in to protect Australian consumers?

t_cas
4th Dec 2017, 05:08
What does a carrier have to do to be banned from Australia's airspace? I recall that Garuda were once banned in Europe but allowed to operate to/from Australia. At what point do the Australian regulators step in to protect Australian consumers?

It would appear that geopolitical interests outweigh safety oversight.

neville_nobody
4th Dec 2017, 06:32
CASA are to busy smashing VH operators to worry about actually protecting the travelling public. Besides even if a foreign carrier ploughs one in, CASA are not responsible.

To honest if they were to shut down a non VH registered operator the racism card would be pulled out pretty quickly and CASA then hauled before some makeshift senate inquiry to explain their actions.

PoppaJo
4th Dec 2017, 06:33
DPS Last Week.

http://i68.tinypic.com/dep89f.jpg

Jeps
4th Dec 2017, 20:07
We all want the best deals on things, airfares being no exception. But at what point do you say enough is enough? The flying public appears to care deeply about safety up until the point they have to pay for it.

Icarus2001
5th Dec 2017, 02:21
I don't believe being a so called LCC is a primary reason here.

C441
5th Dec 2017, 07:40
I don't believe being a so called LCC is a primary reason here.
Assuming that's a secondary reason; then what is a primary reason for this particular carrier featuring so prominently in events in the region?

Boomerang
9th Dec 2017, 13:31
I'd say oversight by their regulator, organisation, just basic ICAO standards. I'm just quoting the data and may be very wrong but the mind boggles at some of the stuff that goes on. Just being a LOCO doesn't mean a carrier is unsafe. It's what the regulators (and passengers) let them get away with if they choose not to make the required investments in safety. https://www.icao.int/safety/Pages/USOAP-Results.aspx Compare Indonesia and Australia. Joe public has no idea except what they see on the news.

Assuming that's a secondary reason; then what is a primary reason for this particular carrier featuring so prominently in events in the region?

PoppaJo
27th Nov 2019, 01:36
Another ballsup.

https://www.atsb.gov.au/media/news-items/2019/passenger-safety-information/?fbclid=IwAR1YJIbQW9DEG3UUs2D01KaaOEdvDvCF-pP5ocO2zRjjjyD2HUK2mdLqJdg

Slezy9
27th Nov 2019, 15:05
Another ballsup.

https://www.atsb.gov.au/media/news-items/2019/passenger-safety-information/?fbclid=IwAR1YJIbQW9DEG3UUs2D01KaaOEdvDvCF-pP5ocO2zRjjjyD2HUK2mdLqJdg

Joe Public doesn’t care. If they can get to Bali for $199 then they will always fly the cheapest.

KABOY
27th Nov 2019, 16:12
Joe Public doesn’t care. If they can get to Bali for $199 then they will always fly the cheapest.

Far'k'nofe mate.

I love AirAsia, these asian ladies are sweet as, and they don't give me tude or get angry when I slap 'em on the backside.

Last time I did that on Quantas I had the coppers meets me when I got off! It's the best 500 bucks I saved after that little episode!

Anyway what's safety got to do with it anyways? AirAsia got all airbus and they fly ems elves I 'ear, the pilots are just monkeys.