PDA

View Full Version : Exploding Neck Pillows.

SpinSpinSugar
17th Jul 2002, 08:55
Some bizzare journalism. Anyone ever heard of this happening?

Neck cushion threat to air passengers (BBC) (http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/health/newsid_2129000/2129811.stm)

Tuesday, 16 July, 2002, 00:52 GMT 01:52 UK
Neck cushion threat to air passengers

The cushion can expand to three times its normal size

Inflatable neck cushions used by many airline passengers could explode - or end up strangling their wearer, say experts.
They say the devices are potentially lethal and should be banned at once.

Ultrasound testing of the cushions has suggested that, in some circumstances, they could interrupt the blood supply to the brain.

Neck cushions are a frequent sight in the cabins of long-haul aircraft, wrapping around the back of the neck and supporting the head while the user sleeps.

The danger comes if the aircraft suffers a sudden loss of cabin pressure, say testers.

This could be caused by a computer fault, or perhaps a window blowing out.

Because the pressure inside the cushion remains constant, it will expand - perhaps to three times its normal size.

This, they argue, could cut of the flow of blood to the brain, perhaps causing brain damage or even death.

Paul Richards: Calling for a ban

In addition, the cushion could explode loudly, causing temporary deafness and perhaps damaging the vertebrae at the top of the spine.

Paul Richards, a former pilot himself - and the inventor of a device which allows a seated passenger to perform exercises which may ward off thrombosis - has also come up with a safety feature which releases the air inside the cushion in the event of decompression.

I think that these cushions are dangerous unless proved otherwise

He believes that the cushions may have been the source of injuries to passengers in the past - but overlooked by doctors and researchers as a potential cause.

He told BBC News Online: "With any decompression in the cabin, the neck cushion grows and puts pressure on the neck.

"It can explode with a very high noise level - and possibly cause damage to the neck and injury to the spine."

He said: "I am calling on airlines to ban all unsafe inflatables from aircraft."

Aviation expert Dr Ian Perry said: "Having seen one or two tests, I think that these cushions are dangerous unless proved otherwise."

Ultrasound

Small-scale ultrasound tests carried out vascular surgeon Dr Mark Whiteley confirmed that the rapidly expanding cushion did have some effect on the flow of blood through the carotid arteries, which supply the brain.

"The worry with this sort of cushion is that if it did turn out to cause significant flow disturbance that can actually cause problems for the brain."

Llademos
17th Jul 2002, 09:38
' ... has also come up with a safety feature which releases the air inside the cushion in the event of decompression ... '

so he gains from having 'normal' cushions barred. No wonder he's calling for the ban.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

HotDog
17th Jul 2002, 11:16
Simple fix, don't use inflatables but foam or cotton stuffed cushions. Inflatables, if inflated before takeoff will overinflate by the time the cabin reaches 8000ft say, for the same reason you may have to adjust the pressure of inflatable splints for fracture injuries.

DamienB
17th Jul 2002, 14:57
"these cushions are dangerous unless proved otherwise"

Digital watches too. They might wrap themselves round your neck if you are trying to fasten one when there is an explosive decompression. They are clearly dangerous until proved otherwise.

Citation500
17th Jul 2002, 15:10
I think they have other problems on a rapid decompression than neck pillows....
freezing fog, high noise level, disorientation, lack of oxigen....

A Very Civil Pilot
19th Jul 2002, 14:42
On the ITV Eastjet/Airline programme a few weeks ago, they had a passanger not beoing allowed to take a bottle of champagne on as hand baggage. I seem to re,member that it was a pressurisation reason for its refusal.

Diesel8
20th Jul 2002, 13:12
Does this mean I can no longer bring my inflatable girlfriend??

Baggy
20th Jul 2002, 13:24
I had a plastic tub of fruit salad explode on me in the flight deck this am. Messy !

Gaza
20th Jul 2002, 22:44
On the ITV Eastjet/Airline programme a few weeks ago, they had a passanger not beoing allowed to take a bottle of champagne on as hand baggage. I seem to re,member that it was a pressurisation reason for its refusal.

I could not believe this when I heard it. What about the thousands of bottles of Krug and the likes that BA et al carry each year? I think someone needs to have a little chat with the EZY LTN ground staff!!!