PDA

View Full Version : Which Instructor rating to be most employable?

rudestuff
14th Oct 2017, 12:16
I'm thinking about doing an instructor rating, and for the cost of a full FI course, I could do an MEP CRI and IRI

Obviously an FI would let me work in a lot more places, but being an MEP/IR instructor would set me apart, as they are harder ratings to get. Which instructors are in shortest supply?

rudestuff
14th Oct 2017, 16:50
I'd like to do some part time instructing. I'm an airline pilot so IFR time for IRI isn't a problem. I've got CPL(H) (so that's an option too) and I'm current on SEP. I'm a bit short on MEP PIC but I can make that up. I just wondered which instructing qualification is most in demand?

Whopity
14th Oct 2017, 19:32
IRI will only let you teach on SE aeroplanes. You have to have the CRI(ME) and the IRI to teach IR on ME aeroplanes. You could not teach at an Integrated ATO as its ab-initio for which you would need FI as well.

xrayalpha
15th Oct 2017, 08:48
Get a microlight instructor's ticket: buy your own microlight and help out some schools in the busy summer.

Some good tax breaks on owning your own aircraft!

rudestuff
15th Oct 2017, 09:16
Can you expand on that?

S-Works
16th Oct 2017, 08:32
As the Head of Training of a Commercial Flying school in my secondary duty we don't take in none FI(A) Instructors. We want them to have come through "the ranks" and have taught all the levels and be able to teach all the levels. I am a Captain on the Embraer jet for the day job and I can tell you being an airline pilot means jack all when it comes to teaching. Trying to jump into the food chain ahead of guys serving the time won't endear you to them. My advice is do the FI(A) get the teaching experience and un restrict it an the advance.

rudestuff
16th Oct 2017, 20:34
I realise that airline flying and flight instruction are quite different - I used to be a flight instructor in the US and I found teaching quite rewarding, unfortunately I rather foolishly allowed my CFI ticket to expire! I certainly wouldn't want to step on anyone's toes; I'd actually rather assumed that as an MEP CRI requires 30 hours PIC, and an FI requires 200 hours IFR to teach instruments then most non-career FI's would stick with SEP, and that MEIR instructors would be harder to find.

Ex Oggie
17th Oct 2017, 21:31
I used to be a flight instructor in the US

Maybe a better option is to renew the FAA bits and convert across. It will shorten the FI course considerably. If you meet certain minima, you may be able to get an unrestricted EASA FI certificate.

Whopity
18th Oct 2017, 16:57
Maybe a better option is to renew the FAA bits and convert across.Good advice. You will get credit for the FI but not the CRI or IRI. Whilst there is a shortage of ME/IR instructors, very few in the industry are stand alone IRI/CRIs.

gerpols
18th Oct 2017, 17:04
Article 8

Conditions for the acceptance of licences from third countries

1. Without prejudice to Article 12 of Regulation (EC) No 216/2008 and where there are no agreements concluded between the Union and a third country covering pilot licensing, Member States may accept third country licences, ratings or certificates, and associated medical certificates issued by or on behalf of third countries, in accordance with the provisions of Annex III to this Regulation.

2. Applicants for Part-FCL licences already holding at least an equivalent licence, rating or certificate issued in accordance with Annex 1 to the Chicago Convention by a third country shall comply with all the requirements of Annex I to this Regulation, except that the requirements of course duration, number of lessons and specific training hours may be reduced.

3. The credit given to the applicant shall be determined by the Member State to which the pilot applies on the basis of a recommendation from an approved training organisation.

4. Holders of an ATPL issued by or on behalf of a third country in accordance with Annex 1 to the Chicago Convention who have completed the experience requirements for the issue of an ATPL in the relevant aircraft category as set out in Subpart F of Annex I to this Regulation may be given full credit as regards the requirements to undergo a training course prior to undertaking the theoretical knowledge examinations and the skill test, provided that the third country licence contains a valid type rating for the aircraft to be used for the ATPL skill test.

5. Aeroplane or helicopter type ratings may be issued to holders of Part-FCL licences that comply with the requirements for the issue of those ratings established by a third country. Such ratings will be restricted to aircraft registered in that third country. This restriction may be removed when the pilot complies with the requirements in point C.1 of Annex III.

Whopity
19th Oct 2017, 09:34
The credit given to the applicant shall be determined by the Member State to which the pilot applies on the basis of a recommendation from an approved training organisation. The last one I tested had done 2 days training all accepted by the UK CAA.

ZuluZuluAlpha
19th Oct 2017, 15:03
At the moment the airlines in the UK are sucking everyone up so any decent FI is in high demand. I know of a few schools in haggis land desperate to try and get some decent guys.
When times are not so good though there is a bit of an excess of FI's in the UK but there is usually always work for an IRI/ME Instructor. If all being the same I'd try for IRI as you will have work that is reasonably well paid if you ever lose your airline job and can teach in a sim if you lose your medical. PPL instructing typically has zero money in it. I'm not sure what the script is going straight to IRI.. do you need to have been an FI first? I've been out the teaching game almost two years and all that stuff has just gone out my head I'm afraid.
What is the definition of a decent FI/guy? I can't find anything full time locally or even a sniff with the airlines, i wonder whats wrong with me:confused: