PDA

View Full Version : Anna's Friday Liar. 13/10/17

Trafalgar
14th Oct 2017, 08:07
Dear Anna,

I cannot let your F Liar pass without comment. So, to help clarify a few things, please take note:

Regarding the JRC Negotiating Framework: you state that “this is a great example of how we can work together”.

You and I both know this is complete ‘bullsh*t’. There is no ‘working together’. Only intimidation and threats. Not a single pilot in this company is under any illusion otherwise. We know the type of manager you are, and are making our plans accordingly. We also know that you and your management group will corrupt and distort any agreement and mechanism entered into. We have a 25 yr history to reference.

“The updates we have put out about our business ‘performance’ and the reason for making changes to our cost base and the way we work so that ‘we’ are more productive have understandably generated ‘quite a bit of interest’ from the pilot community”.

Seriously. Are you for real? “Business Performance”…? You and your ilk are responsible for the epic fuel hedging loss, that has undone years of committed, professional and dedicated application of ‘real performance’. We are accountable, you and your accomplices are plainly not.

“We”…?

“We” are already productive. Many of us doing 900 hours a year. Minimal days off. The worst rostering in the major airline industry. Don’t talk to us about ‘we’. There is no 'we'. There is ‘you’, and ‘us’. We are honourable. You and your cohorts had your integrity stripped away years ago.

“Quite a bit of interest from the pilot community’’…?

"Interest; is that how you define it? You are without shame. You are threatening our security, lifestyle, financial planning, contracts, family plans, retirement and general well being. “Interest”….? Far more than that. What you have ‘generated’ is a sense of malice that will take years to resolve. We will confront you starting now. On every level, every sphere of the public, media and corporate. You will be made to acknowledge and realize that you can’t abuse us, can’t threaten us and can’t compromise our integrity and professionalism.

We are NOT your slaves Anna. We certainly will NOT contribute one penny to your bonus and salary. You have made enemies of over 3000 professional aviators. We will be heard. Don’t plan on a quiet holiday season. I suggest you start planning on how you will cope without a training department.

To put all of this in context: I have not heard one word from you, Rupert and the other Swire incompetents about how YOU are taking the FIRST cuts in salary, the FIRST cuts in bonus and the FIRST cuts in housing. That would require REAL leadership, the one thing your Swire experience has stripped you of. That and integrity, honesty and humility.

There is no going back. We will cripple this operation, as you are trying to cripple us. And please, stop with the deceitful, manipulative and dishonest emails with your distorted graphs and statistics. We are far too aware of the truth to be conned by that pathetic attempt at deceit.

Apple Tree Yard
14th Oct 2017, 08:17
Wow. Right on. I wonder if Anna and her accomplices realise that fully half the pilots (and probably more) are planning on leaving asap. Most FO's and SO's close to upgrade are looking for better options. They are DONE working for a group of manipulative liars. They and their families deserve better.

Air Profit
14th Oct 2017, 08:24
A pathetic attempt this evening to co-opt the trainers. Most of us will be resigning if there is any change to our housing. Immediately. And we demand the 13th month as well, as WE did not cause the losses in this airline. Anna, Rupert and all the Swires are not fit for purpose. We are in a state of 'war'. Don't plan on booking CX over the holidays.

Amber Vibes
14th Oct 2017, 08:26
I hope you don't mind an editing suggestion, Trafalger. You should put quotes around the passages from the Friday Liar and start a new paragraph (new line) with your response in bold. This way it is easier for readers to separate their lies from your truth.

Trafalgar
14th Oct 2017, 08:29
noted.....

betpump5
14th Oct 2017, 15:02
Don't plan on booking CX over the holidays.

Been telling my mates that. BA and the Beardy geezer it you want to have a hassle free festive season.

alohajec
14th Oct 2017, 16:03
WELL SAID TRAF. 100% SPOT ON.

cxorcist
14th Oct 2017, 17:48
Thank you Traf for summing up exactly how WE ALL feel and view the current environment. Management swine reading here, yes I know you do, have been put on notice! Passengers and shareholders ought to take note as well. It only gets worse from here.

Freehills
14th Oct 2017, 22:50
True, the next letter to management may well have some of the longer words underlined! Probably a bit too provocative though.

Uberskyjockey
15th Oct 2017, 03:18
I noted in her letter she kept referring to group airline(s) losses yet only the CX pilots are the target of vicious cuts !

bacou
15th Oct 2017, 03:48
I noted in her letter she kept referring to group airline(s) losses yet only the CX pilots are the target of vicious cuts !

KA doesn’t exist, it’s been the case for more than 10 years, nothing much happens at KA, big decisions taken by CX management for CX airline. No need for a change !

Uberskyjockey
15th Oct 2017, 05:02
My point exactly. KA drivers keep their salaries and housing packages intact whilst CX drivers take the hit. Is that fair I ask.

Uberskyjockey
15th Oct 2017, 05:04
Last nights impromptu C&T get together saw the C&T group separate from us line guys and try to negotiate a deal with AT.

OK4Wire
15th Oct 2017, 05:22
No surprise there, unfortunately.

edit: walked right into her trap. She will be a happy bunny!

Trafalgar
15th Oct 2017, 05:30
Does anyone know the details? I am no longer a 'member' of the club. Curious as to what if any details discussed.

Cpt. Underpants
15th Oct 2017, 05:44
3 separate letters to the trainers from 3 FOPs managers.
Do you think, possibly, that they’re desperately trying to stave off a mass resignation?
This is their Achilles heel.
They’re too thick to even attempt the other devious schemes they’ve been accused of engineering.

Gnadenburg
15th Oct 2017, 05:45
My point exactly. KA drivers keep their salaries and housing packages intact whilst CX drivers take the hit. Is that fair I ask.

Don't be so flaccid.

Trafalgar
15th Oct 2017, 08:53
Spoke to a colleague who was there the first of two nights. No such conversation took place. Apparently it was made clear that the trainers would NOT support a 'special deal', and that their continued role as trainers is in question. If you have evidence to the contrary, then show evidence to support. Otherwise you are just throwing a hand grenade. :mad:

broadband circuit
15th Oct 2017, 10:33

It won't stay like that. Once the CX package has been whittled away, then that becomes the "benchmark", and they'll start attacking KA

Uberskyjockey
15th Oct 2017, 10:37
Trafalgar, I am a huge fan BUT the C&T ARE negotiating a 3 year lock-in deal whereby their package remains untouched and the training machine remains intact. FOP managers have already agreed such a deal leaving us line guys hung out to dry. In total about 400 C&T guys vs 2800 line crews. It is a safe option for AT to take.
Also Fridays and Saturdays impromptu meeting at Dacho was company sanctioned and paid for by a company credit card.

Farman Biplane
15th Oct 2017, 10:38
wrt KA, the new conditions at CX will be “offered” to them in due time when they are “invited” into a common seniority list

Uberskyjockey
15th Oct 2017, 10:39
Elsewhere the C&T community have accepted that the GC is ineffective ( true ) so have decided to cut a separate deal. AT is listening.

Hugo Peroni the IV
15th Oct 2017, 11:03
If there is any truth to the deal being set up by the trainers, doesn't that really show them for who they are? We sit back and do the right thing through the training ban; just when training numbers are getting critical, they realize their strength, given to them by us by following the training ban, and cut a deal.

Should we be surprised? We all know the type of individual who jumped into training when they were requested not to!

raven11
15th Oct 2017, 11:21
Uber, Hugo,
As a member of the community in question I can assure you quite vigorously that no special deals are being made; and that any attempt at double dealing would be met with outrage from said community. The informal meetings taking place are in response to initiatives from the C and T community.
Please stop with the conspiracy theories...

Uberskyjockey
15th Oct 2017, 11:36
Great point Dan Buster.
IF the recent C&T get together was so innocent then share it's contents.
Who initiated it ? Managers or pilots ? Answer FOP Managers. Who paid for it, individuals or management ? Answer management. Were minutes taken ? Answer yes by management as was a list of attendees. Was the AOA consulted ? Absolutely not.
It stinks.

raven11
15th Oct 2017, 11:39
A frank and honest discussion regarding perspectives from the line. Nothing more and nothing less...we live in hope.

Uber..wow...I mean...WOW!

arse
15th Oct 2017, 11:54
The meeting was held in WTC Building 7, in the offices of the Flat Earth Society. Main point of discussion was the moon landings.

There was no meeting. It was an invitation to have a chat over a few drinks in town. No special deals. Trainers in the same boat as everyone else. Sorry to disappoint all you free thinkers.

There may have been a meeting before the meeting to discuss the meeting after the meeting, but that was about three beers in.

TheGreenDragon
15th Oct 2017, 12:19
KA drivers keep their salaries and housing packages intact whilst CX drivers take the hit. Is that fair I ask.

Yes, its fair. All KA flight and cabin crew are on a pay freeze, since April 2016.

KA pilots negotiate KA conditions of service (their contract) . Not a third party, or none affected employees of the DAP. An Annually elected pilot only committee. For DPA pilots. None members ride on the coat tails of the majority.

Each company has plusses and minuses with regards to benefits.. To equate each is unrealistic.

I can't see much in the KA COS that can be attacked with the pilots voting for it .Its already back to the bare bone benifits . Perhaps the leave scheme could be changed, but that's not the above posters whinge.

A whinge or a whine. Fight for your own COS, its each for their own guys.

Giuseppe Giovanni
15th Oct 2017, 12:37
Uberskyjockey Wrote :

Trafalgar, I am a huge fan BUT the C&T ARE negotiating a 3 year lock-in deal whereby their package remains untouched and the training machine remains intact. FOP managers have already agreed such a deal leaving us line guys hung out to dry. In total about 400 C&T guys vs 2800 line crews. It is a safe option for AT to take.

Uber, that is UTTER, UTTER RUBBISH !!!

Seriously, if this is an example of the intelligence and naivety of some people here, we are well and truly f*cked.

LongTimeInCX
15th Oct 2017, 13:07
Hi Raven and Giuseppe,
You can probably put uberskyjabberjockey in the ignore column.
For a laugh, have a look at all of his vast posts (over the last 3 weeks or so) and think, what else has happened over the last 3 weeks?
Could this be one one of the upstairs types, who decides to join under a dumb user name, that we would conceivably accept as a junior gel wearing earring adorned brushwinger skygod?
Or can those with clarity see Uber for who he/she is - simply a poorly constructed profile of an "agent provocateur" working for you know who.

Ignore his/her content, and don't feed the troll.

Uberskyjockey
15th Oct 2017, 14:04
LongTime and Raven,

Sticks and stones ....... but answer the questions

1. Who initiated the meeting
2. Who paid for the drinks
3. Was it sanctioned by the AOA
4. Is there a draft letter from the C&T fraternity to AT

Answer truthfully and I will shut up

goathead
15th Oct 2017, 23:16
This is greatly amusing , what ! The trainers have been meeting with Management on the side ?
Hope no one is surprised in the slightest by this , no one.
Remember ‘the custodians’of cx flying culture have been training up there very own cheaper replacements for years now.....
Now they hardly haven’t been warned have they. Now that they themselves are being targeted they are scuttling about trying to pad their own selfish greedy arses from the fall that’s about to happen......
Watch this space
Trainers will take their own on the side deal.The fact that they even showed up speaks sums up who they truly are.

Dilbert68
16th Oct 2017, 00:07
The trainers will be offered a better package. It will not be increased ARAPA but instead more money in some other form. What they lose in ARAPA will be given back in another way.

Some will see it for what it is and reject the poison chalice and quit training. Those are the true professionals with integrity that won't sell out their colleagues. Others will happily accept the money and go on training their replacements until the next attack on their careers comes, and it will. These are spineless fools who have never in their lives had the balls to stand up to anybody, CX actively recruits this sort.

This scenario plays right into Anna's hands, divide the troops even more. They will throw money at the training ban to make it go away, the champagne corks will be popping when they see pilots climbing over each others backs to get into training.

You all need to see this for what it is and reject it.

Dilbert68
16th Oct 2017, 00:14
Is there a draft letter from the C&T fraternity to AT?
Yes there is.

1200firm
16th Oct 2017, 00:20
Don't forget that the "C & T Fraternity" includes the HKAOA Chairman. Amazingly.

XFR8
16th Oct 2017, 00:50
There is NO SEPARATE TRAINING DEAL. THERE WILL NOT BE.

Is that clear enough for all you losers out there? The trainers are trying to help.
They are not cutting a separate deal.

Now concentrate on the real enemy FFS.

Freehills
16th Oct 2017, 01:48

? This is exactly the same argument being made by CX to reduce CX packages - that it isn't fair that ground staff got fired, and CX drivers haven't taken a hit, that ARAPA>>HKAPA etc.

Rather than argue and fight that KA pilots should take cuts "to be fair", maybe better to argue & fight that CX drivers shouldn't take a hit, regardless of the fairness of the situation vs other staff groups.

Staggers
16th Oct 2017, 02:00
? This is exactly the same argument being made by CX to reduce CX packages - that it isn't fair that ground staff got fired, and CX drivers haven't taken a hit, that ARAPA>>HKAPA etc.

Rather than argue and fight that KA pilots should take cuts "to be fair", maybe better to argue & fight that CX drivers shouldn't take a hit, regardless of the fairness of the situation vs other staff groups.

Well the only reason we aren't being fired is that they need us. Rest assured if they didn't they would.

Freehills
16th Oct 2017, 02:50
Well the only reason we aren't being fired is that they need us. Rest assured if they didn't they would.

Quite. Fairness has nothing to do with it.

hkgcanuck
16th Oct 2017, 04:53
Do we really need to assume the worst about this meeting and what trainers may or may not do before seeing any real evidence? So far posters claiming to be trainers have all said they are not making some backroom deal. Posters saying otherwise haven't presenting any evidence whatsoever. I'm inclined to believe that until I see otherwise. Please don't prove me wrong, trainers. Call me naive if you want, but we all know we can't trust our employer, if we can't trust our colleagues enough to give them the benefit of the doubt, the future is far more depressing than I'm willing to accept.

Oasis
16th Oct 2017, 05:51
The 'separate deal' rumour is 100% false.
Don't let other people rile you up.

betpump5
16th Oct 2017, 07:54
Don't forget that the "C & T Fraternity" includes the HKAOA Chairman. Amazingly.

The only thing that is worse than that statement is how the AOA 'fraternity' haven't made a bigger deal of this and pulled him up on not resigning from training. No one blinked an eyelid when he had the audacity to ask other airlines to do the dirty work he wasn't prepared to do and asked them not to answer any CX calls to train our pilots.

Lame duck of a Chairman and GC and an AOA majority who don't give a Sh1t. Strike? Haha, whatever.

Amber Vibes
16th Oct 2017, 08:28
The only thing that is worse than that statement is how the AOA 'fraternity' haven't made a bigger deal of this and pulled him up on not resigning from training. No one blinked an eyelid when he had the audacity to ask other airlines to do the dirty work he wasn't prepared to do and asked them not to answer any CX calls to train our pilots.

Lame duck of a Chairman and GC and an AOA majority who don't give a Sh1t. Strike? Haha, whatever.

Why don't you (as a group) recall him or hold a no confidence vote? It's crazy that your union has done next to nothing since the announcement of the withdrawal of ARAPA. Not even so much as a meeting to get a consensus of the direction or course of action you, as a pilot group, should take. The only communication forthcoming is to tell you CC is on hold for the typhoon. It's %#@$*& cray cray.

Am I missing something?

betpump5
16th Oct 2017, 09:31
Good question which I actually pre-answered. See my second paragraph regarding AOA majority.

Progress Wanchai
16th Oct 2017, 10:21
Why don't you (as a group) recall him or hold a no confidence vote? It's crazy that your union has done next to nothing since the announcement of the withdrawal of ARAPA. Not even so much as a meeting to get a consensus of the direction or course of action you, as a pilot group, should take. The only communication forthcoming is to tell you CC is on hold for the typhoon. It's %#@$*& cray cray.

Am I missing something?

Re-read the AOA update regarding CC during the typhoon.
I’ve a feeling you’re missing lots.

Fool Sufferer
16th Oct 2017, 18:53
The harsh and unpalatable reality for Cathay Pacific pilots, particularly those presently provided for under “legacy” terms and conditions, is that sum levels of remuneration are inexorably in significant decline.

Unfortunately there is no scope available for comprehensive, co-ordinated and crippling industrial action, without incurring crushing retaliation. Indeed, any attempt at such would invariably be undermined by the large army of self-serving lickspittles sadly prevalent amongst pilot cohorts.

This is the inherent risk of taking employment with an organisation adhering to an antiquated master / servant mentality, and ultimately governed and motivated by eighteenth century labour laws and attitudes.

There are but two realistic outcomes to the current malaise; pilots resigning in such significant numbers that the laws of supply and demand dictate an increase in the recompense on offer, which of course is of no benefit to those possessing the personal integrity and fortitude to have already departed, or alternatively the status quo continues. As management are no doubt aware, this then results in a remaining cowed expatriate employee group, many of whom were unable for various reasons to obtain employment with the national carriers of their native western countries and have limited viable alternatives, quietly acquiescing to whatever is forced upon them.

Inevitably this will lead to the majority quietly submitting to the degradation and erosion of their terms and conditions, in order to maintain ongoing employment and an income of some description, albeit diminished.

This of course assumes the continued ongoing existence and viability of the company, which given the structural, competitive and systemic issues it faces, is far from certain.

Glass Half Empty
16th Oct 2017, 20:15
Boring bloke alert

Air Profit
16th Oct 2017, 21:28
Dan, I think you will find that many of us are about to do a lot. Not a good idea to book holiday travel on CX.

betpump5
16th Oct 2017, 21:35
More like "No Sh1t let's state the blindingly obvious" guy alert.

Liam Gallagher
17th Oct 2017, 02:37
I reckon you need to stop gulping the Koolaid and I call BS.

You say the financial viability of Cathay is at risk. Quite a few other people who consider themselves not to be foolsufferers see CX very differently.

1. 12 months ago the CX share price was $10.30 and it's now $12.80. The market appears to disagree with you.
2. In that 12 month period, a fairly savvy investor has taken a 9% stake in CX because he sees the stock as a turn-around story. He even recently taunted Swires saying he would buy them out because he saw CX as a $20 stock. That investor disagrees with you.
3. In amongst all the doom and gloom spun by the Company's spin masters, the Company committed to purchase DHL's share of Air HK for cash and signed a major deal for A320s. It also has long-standing orders for A50s and 777X. The lenders and manufacturers seem to be confident in CX's future, unlike you.
4. Sure, management has become complacent and bloated and has lost its way on the revenue front. Fuel and interest rates remain historically low, the world economy remains buoyant and that drives high load factors. I disagree, the fundamentals are in fact very sound. The company just needs wise leadership to resolve the revenue issues and restore Cathay as a premium product, whilst keeping costs under control. I believe that will happen eventually, however it is true we could suffer some short term pain whilst management fumbles around.

As for pilots' earnings diminishing, that's a function of the pilot industry. I sense you don't work here, but if any HK-based CX pilot compares their Sept 14 pay-check to their Sep 17 pay-check and the 2017 pay-check is not 10% higher, then that would be extraordinary.

The challenge for us all is to now hang onto what we have whilst management continues to fumble in the dark. For us, this has becomes a function of backbone.... ie ... Having one...

broadband circuit
17th Oct 2017, 04:17
but I still think the operation should have shutdown the night the letter confirming ARAPA's demise was sent out.

Maybe not. That letter coincided with the start of low season. Disruptions the next day would have been annoying, but not catastrophic. Moving forward 9 or so weeks from that letter, however, puts us at the beginning of December......

Dead Serious
17th Oct 2017, 04:18
Forgive the intrusion but I used to work for CX many years ago and I am now with Ryanair. The two companies are very different but over the last few years our conditions were just steadily being tramped over by our CEO who thought he 'was' the company.

Our recent action started off totally un co-ordinated but within a week we had organised sadly something you guys at CX seem unable to do. We have gained the support of unions throughout the world and during my recent trip to meet with reps at AA they told me they knew nothing of the plight of pilots in Hong Kong. It begs the question "what is the HKAOA doing?" It would appear absolutely nothing.
In Ryanair we have set up a new union within 10 days and I suggest you do the same. Then, as we did write to the ultimate bosses the shareholders and bypass your CEO and DFO as we did. They answer to the shareholders.
You will read today at out biggest base EGSS we have rejected the latest offer from MO and his position is now under real threat.
I urge you to 'act'. Do something and the travelling public will at least respect you if not like you but it is better than just rolling over which from an outsiders view you appear to be doing.
You are better than this. Do something NOW and good luck to you all.

Trafalgar
17th Oct 2017, 15:10
....are you listening DS and co...? In the meantime, everyone of us must plan on their own personal part in sending a message to the company. Otherwise, please....don't complain to me after the beginning of the year about your conditions.

Shep69
17th Oct 2017, 15:24
CX historically has hired some pretty talented folks with backgrounds of achievement and quality. Hard workers, dedicated professionals, demonstrated track record in their career.

And now we find ourselves where we are.

"You are better than this"

I think that says it all.

Thank you for that.

Trafalgar
17th Oct 2017, 15:38
We are better than the way in which we are being treated. Basically, I reject being lied to, intimidated and having my professionalism taken for granted. Therefore, as I am but one small part in a big machine, I will take my own small but considered action to express my disgust in the way I am being treated. And the rest of you...?

Amber Vibes
17th Oct 2017, 16:17
The suggestion that you get rid of your union at this moment in time could be disastrous. CX management would love it if this happened. They would be delighted with the distraction as they ram ARAPA cuts through. It's one thing to recall your leader for incompetence or inaction, it's quite another to completely do away with your union during this crucial period. However, if the ARAPA cut is allowed to happen with no attempt to intervene other than the status quo CC, then your union is well and truly useless, and you should consider saving your money on union dues.

Also, do your bylaws allow for an individual union member to put forward a motion to do something more effective than CC?

betpump5
17th Oct 2017, 22:03
It begs the question "what is the HKAOA doing?" It would appear absolutely nothing.

Hahaha Dead Serious. That's the question WE have also been asking and have come up with the exact same answer! And this coming from a guy at an airline where until a week ago, you weren't even allowed a union. The AOA are a global disgrace.

crwkunt roll
17th Oct 2017, 22:44
It begs the question "what is the HKAOA doing?" It would appear absolutely nothing.
It has been communicated many times that the AOA leadership is on leave at this time. Give them time.

Dead Serious
17th Oct 2017, 23:14
How convenient !
When do they return ? 1st January 2018 and all as Tc's ?

Starbear
20th Oct 2017, 16:17
Saturday 21st 00.05. Quite astonishing constant drivel issued at this time with assurances of need to and promises of communications with the employees......but not just yet. We just need to keep you on edge until next week ....maybe. Because apparently the changes in Cathay are HUGE and Time to Win is much, much bigger than anyone, anyone at all realises.

So quick question: It is now almost 10 months since this Time to Win crap was announced and apart from the poor 800+ souls who actually lost their jobs and liveliehoods, has anyone noticed a single change let alone a HUGE change? Not talking about pending changes, only examples that have been actioned. Nope? didn't think so.

I have worked for many airlines who always promised "Jam tomorrow" but this is the only one that has the audacity to promise "Sh*t tomorrow" and with a grinning idiot delivering it.

LongTimeInCX
20th Oct 2017, 21:18
How convenient !
When do they return ? 1st January 2018 and all as TC's ?

Clearly you have no clue about the make up of the GC.
Perhaps I should just have left this as - 'Clearly you have no clue!'

Regarding your banal drivel about this, plus 3 yr KA commands, if you're waiting for someone to bite, then you have me.

You obviously don't work for either of the group airlines, so why don't you annoy the pilots over at Ryanair, or write MOL an equally daft comment on how he is going with his pilots.

In short, go away and play with the other children while we play with ours.

Flex88
21st Oct 2017, 01:26
"So quick question: It is now almost 10 months since this Time to Win crap was announced and apart from the poor 800+ souls who actually lost their jobs and liveliehoods, has anyone noticed a single change let alone a HUGE change?

Are you kidding? One of the items re the Food Court survey was Ques were too long; fire 800 employees - problem fixed + more seating available. More room on HAS bus to main terminal at lunch....
It's a win win from "Time to WIN"...

Flex88
21st Oct 2017, 01:42
Just noticed another "small" change re the People Dept and, one can only think, Time to Win strategy.
One used to see (following the sacking of 800 minions), "Management Appointment" (i.e. replace those we sacked with boot lickers).

Now (check Intra CX main page), to be a little low key good ol Tom says "Leadership Appointment" Does that not make you feel soooo much better..:yuk:

Starbear
21st Oct 2017, 05:51
Are you kidding? One of the items re the Food Court survey was Ques were too long; fire 800 employees - problem fixed + more seating available. More room on HAS bus to main terminal at lunch....
It's a win win from "Time to WIN"...

Good point, I had assumed that was all done for the KA FOP chaps moving over.

Freehills
21st Oct 2017, 07:20
I think it is a specific problem for the US - the AF has been on a continuous war footing for 16 years now, with no end in sight, so they have to resort to the draft to keep people in. But yes, for anyone with the right to join a US carrier, this is good news.

Plus - no financial mess for the big airlines. Delta just made 1.8 billion US in 3 months - 20m USD a day, while paying salaries and profit share bonuses that are fair, and are having no problem recruiting - in fact I think the USAF move is because pilots want to jump out and onto a big airline seniority list ASAP. It will hit business jets and regional airlines

Shep69
21st Oct 2017, 12:39
TTW: I bet the UK, Australian, Canadian, German, French, etc. air forces won't be far behind with their own versions of this type of American fix (for the military) and financial mess (for the airlines). Meanwhile, one particular company here cuts, cuts and cuts, and pisses off its pilots with the continuous erosion of working conditions with its ongoing refusal to face the music, replace who needs to be replaced, and just wake up to the urgent need to set things right and/or do the right thing:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/10/20/airlines-could-face-more-staffing-challeng-force-plan-recall-1-000-pilots-could-hurt-airline-staffin/785583001/

Yeah, read this too with some interest. It's not a stop loss or draft but an EO which changes the authorization level from 25 to I believe 1000 (don't know if that's total or annually but I suspect annually). It's unusual in that the last time I believe there was any significant real recall of retirees (other than as a movie plot) was during the Korean War. US military retirees usually have no further service commitment but are technically subject to recall until they are 60 (which in the past has never much been done).

Sure points to a supply issue with pilots and lots of opportunities for people looking. It's disconcerting that some folks here actually are using the 'concessionary' word (for anything) and even considering concessions would IMHO be insane in such a market. Really insane. Not to mention OTHER airlines are making money while paying pilots more.

So the conditions for negotiation are probably as strong as they could ever conceivably be. Yet CX is effectively cutting pay and working conditions. Other than words there doesn't seem to be a great deal of backlash to what has happened so far with the unilaterally imposed cuts given this shortage of operators.

"Do the right thing"

I guess that says it all too.

Trafalgar
21st Oct 2017, 20:27
Anyone who has the opportunity of a decent position back in their home country/continent, and chooses to remain here will deserve the misery that will undoubtedly come the way of them and their families. This is the best hiring environment in a generation. Only CX thinks it’s a “good time” to cut pay and benefits so that no one can live a sustainable life with their families. Go now while you have a chance of a great job and quick advancement. There is no hope left at CX. Do any of you seriously want to spend your careers dealing with management like this ? Oh, and what 747 pilot would attend this little soirée the company had put together to blow smoke up your ars*s? Tell them what you really think by NOT ATTENDING.

Yeah, read this too with some interest. It's not a stop loss or draft but an EO which changes the authorization level from 25 to I believe 1000 (don't know if that's total or annually but I suspect annually). It's unusual in that the last time I believe there was any significant real recall of retirees (other than as a movie plot) was during the Korean War. US military retirees usually have no further service commitment but are technically subject to recall until they are 60 (which in the past has never much been done).

Sure points to a supply issue with pilots and lots of opportunities for people looking. It's disconcerting that some folks here actually are using the 'concessionary' word (for anything) and even considering concessions would IMHO be insane in such a market. Really insane. Not to mention OTHER airlines are making money while paying pilots more.

So the conditions for negotiation are probably as strong as they could ever conceivably be. Yet CX is effectively cutting pay and working conditions. Other than words there doesn't seem to be a great deal of backlash to what has happened so far with the unilaterally imposed cuts given this shortage of operators.

"Do the right thing"

I guess that says it all too.

ANTIPHOLUS
22nd Oct 2017, 02:47
Best message that can be sent is an empty roof at their “Cargo pilot “ ( their words on the email, not mine and since redacted) soirée. It will take a damn sight more than a few G and T’s and canapés to sort this out. Still, I’m sure the usual lemons will attend. I can name them now.

Trafalgar
22nd Oct 2017, 05:07
CX treats the Freighter crew like second rate citizens. They block them from seniority bids to the pax fleets, prevent them from their rightful ability to earn the overtime on the pax fleet, and subject them to the worst rostering in the company. So, all that being fact, why on earth would a single one of you attend a manipulative, false, cynical and insincere attempt to 'pat you on the head' and try to convince you that you really are 'valued employees'? Send them the only message they deserve. Your justified contempt. Not a single one of you should attend, and if you do you are only playing into their hands. :ugh:

ANTIPHOLUS
22nd Oct 2017, 05:33
Well crack on then. I’m not going. That’s two of us. ! How do you suggest we go about it ?
Full page ad in “ the voyager “ ? Slack ? Oh I forgot, that’s been compromised apparently.