PDA

View Full Version : Best flight safety briefing videos yet seen

Centaurus
14th Oct 2017, 06:42
The following link leads you to the most instructive briefing on unusual attitude recovery techniques you will probably ever see. While it is designed for airline crews, the basics apply to all aircraft types. The recovery techniques in this 40 minute video may even save your life one day.

Moreover, the lecture technique used by the speaker which combines expert airmanship advice with a wonderful dry sense of humour, should be an example to all flying school instructors and airline flight simulator instructors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfNBmZy1Yuc

Slatye
14th Oct 2017, 10:29
I'm curious about how well this applies to light aircraft (eg. a C172 or PA28). I've done my share of forward slips with a lot of rudder in on these types and I don't think I've ever run out of aileron authority. However, that's always been at fairly high speed (both because I'm normally trying to lose speed, and because I'd rather not be holding a lot of aileron when I'm close to stall speed).

It wouldn't particularly surprise me if manufacturers had deliberately designed their "flying school aircraft" so that this problem simply cannot occur - the ailerons remain more powerful than the rudder right down to a stall. This would match how they handle the more modern light twins, where ailerons can compensate for the roll caused by a failed engine at any flight speed. Or maybe they haven't - does anyone know?

Judd
14th Oct 2017, 10:46
deliberately designed their "flying school aircraft" so that this problem simply cannot occur - the ailerons remain more powerful than the rudder right down to a stall

I don't think that is true. In 1992 one of the Sydney TV channels ran a short segment on the two Boeing 737 crashes caused by uncommanded rudder deflection. To illustrate how the aircraft would react, an experiment using a Cessna 172 took place out of Essendon with another film crew in a second 172 filming. Very carefully, full rudder was applied with the aircraft flying at 100 knots. As expected the aircraft yawed strongly and the nose dropped as per further effect of controls. Full opposite aileron could not prevent the ensuing spiral dive. The ailerons certainly were less powerful than full rudder.

Checkboard
14th Oct 2017, 13:12
Crossover Speed - AVCANADA (http://www.worldaviationjobs.com/forums2/viewtopic.php?t=95321)