PDA

View Full Version : History of Okanagan Helicopters just published

Flapwing
12th Oct 2017, 02:43
Just published (Oct 07, 2017) The history of Okanagan Helicopters by Doug Grant 256 pages. A must read for anyone who worked for Okie or who was or is in the industry. Available from Amazon.ca in hardcover and Kindle edition.

Nigel Osborn
12th Oct 2017, 08:42
Spent 6 good years flying for Okie! Sorry they left Australia!

heloguy412
12th Oct 2017, 15:37
Grew up very close to the Penticton airport. I remember my parents being friends with the Agars. Students from Okanagan used to stay at my parents motel. Remember one time in the very early 70's, a 206 came over and washed the driveway with the water bucket. Easy to see why I ended up flying helos. I was in awe whenever they flew over.

albatross
12th Oct 2017, 18:03
Ordered a copy.
Well I remember all the OKY pilots on the James Bay Power Project. Kneeling, facing West every morning while chanting "God Bless Orange".
Just joking.

peter manktelow
13th Oct 2017, 03:32
Nice to see that you are still vertical Nigel !

I have only just retired after 50 years and some 16,000 hours , most of it with one or other of the above (orange) transmogrifications.

I hope Dougy Grant has changed some of the names to protect the "not so innocent"

Nigel. You do realise that you are now almost the great grand daddy of the Australian helicopter industry. I don't know of too many people (still alive) who go all the way back to Airfast days. Many of the young guys I flew with here in OZ this last 6 years have barely heard of Airfast. I wish you would put your stories in to print.

Peter

Old Farang
13th Oct 2017, 03:52

I have only just retired after 50 years and some 16,000 hours , most of it with one or other of the above (orange) transmogrifications.

I hope Dougy Grant has changed some of the names to protect the "not so innocent"

Nigel. You do realise that you are now almost the great grand daddy of the Australian helicopter industry. I don't know of too many people (still alive) who go all the way back to Airfast days. Many of the young guys I flew with here in OZ this last 6 years have barely heard of Airfast. I wish you would put your stories in to print.

Peter
Peter, could you check your pm mail box please? Cheers. I also believe that I may know Nigel.

cncpc
13th Oct 2017, 06:35
My first job working mining exploration was at Revelstoke. A lot of our claim staking and stream sampling started high and walked down to a road, sometimes 5 miles or more. Always to the start in a helicopter. Always an Okanagan machine out of the Revelstoke base a few miles west of town. Fred Baird was base manager, Dick Biggs was a pilot as was John Watson. Hiller 1100's and Bell 47s. John Watson saved my life and the lives of my crew across the valley from the north camp on Copeland Mountain, flying up to 8000 feet a few hours before hypothermia would have done for us all. From treetop to treetop to get through the fog layer just below our camp.

1968. The year before the moon landing. I was 20, using my substantial paycheck to take flying lessons from Barry Morris out at the old Revelstoke airport.

I'll have to get a copy of that book.

newfieboy
13th Oct 2017, 17:09
Copy just downloaded to my Kindle app. Should make for some good evening reading while counting the days till crew change.
Love the cover pic of the 3x61's flying through the Narrows in St John's. That's the view from my living room.....feeling a tad homesick....:ok:

Nigel Osborn
3rd Sep 2018, 04:48
Manky
I can't be the oldest, I hope!
Before Airfast, it was Helicopter Utilities but when bryce bought some turbine helicopters, he changed the name to Airfast as it sounded more upmarket! Before that I was in Rotorwork in 1967. Jim Ferguson, Mike Grey, Keith Angel & Doug ? have all passed on.
Cheers
Nigel

Peter

bob2s
3rd Sep 2018, 22:57
Nigel, Doug was based in Mount Isa for years last name was Bruhn
Regards Bob Stark

Nigel Osborn
4th Sep 2018, 13:03
Hi Bob,
Good to see you're still around! Not in Bankstown now I guess! Doug was killed in a little home built near the Gold Coast which is where I last saw him several years ago. Are Jim H & Gordon A still around?
Cheers
Nigel

Nigel Osborn
4th Sep 2018, 13:07
Peter, could you check your pm mail box please? Cheers. I also believe that I may know Nigel.

Could you give me a clue to who you are in case I do know you, a message maybe?

Old Farang
7th Sep 2018, 07:16
Could you give me a clue to who you are in case I do know you, a message maybe?

Your mailbox is full, Nigel. Cheers

Nigel Osborn
7th Sep 2018, 13:22
Cleared some space in my box!

belly tank
24th Sep 2018, 07:47
Just received my copy in the post :ok: Looking forward to the read.

fijdor
24th Sep 2018, 18:43
Ordered a copy.
Well I remember all the OKY pilots on the James Bay Power Project. Kneeling, facing West every morning while chanting "God Bless Orange".
Just joking.

Yep, while all the Heli-Voyageur and Trans-Quebec guys were watching. lol

JD