PDA

View Full Version : Gulf War 1 - what were YOU injected with?

Brian W May
11th Oct 2017, 15:30
Just sorting out loads of old paperwork from the loft, I found my old Personal Medical Record (B/Med/27 (Rev)).

I found the record that I was injected with Anthrax and Pertussis on 14 Jan 91 . . .

I had to Google Pertussis and it turns out to be Whooping Cough vaccine.

NAPS went down the toilet in theatre as blinding headaches and the sh1ts were not conducive with flying long days.

Has anyone got any different injections? I never went back for the next lot. Wonder how they mixed with all the Yellow Bombers we were taking.

Just curiosity and I'm not 'doing' anything about it, but am interested.

ExAscoteer
11th Oct 2017, 16:23
The Pertussis was used as an adjuvant, and is very probably one of the causes of some of the 'Gulf War Syndrome' symptoms. Several articles have been published in the scientific journals indicating that it can lead to increased and prolonged intestinal hypersensitivity.

IIRC Yersinia pestis vaccine (Bubonic plague) was also offered along with cholera, meningitis, rabies, tetanus, typhoid fever and botulinum.

The 'yellow bombers' were Temazepam, taken in order to gain undisturbed sleep.

Vendee
11th Oct 2017, 17:51
I remember having the first anthrax jab, probably about the 14th Jan too. I wasn't expecting to have it and wasn't totally convinced about it so didn't have the next two doses. I took the NAPS for a while as they didn't cause me any problems. I don't know about the Pertussis. I don't have my medical record.

deltahotel
11th Oct 2017, 17:57
Also something called 'cutter'.

MightyGem
11th Oct 2017, 20:15
Took the injections that were on offer, and didn't have any problems with NAPS.

DeanoP
11th Oct 2017, 22:33
I kept my Personal Medical Record (B/Med27) on discharge in case I developed a condition attributable to these injections having had them all. So far no adverse reactions.

I did find that I was injected with what appears to be 'Haurix A UHA066A6' in October 1992. Anybody know what this might be?

In my B/Med27 I also found a chit that we had to carry certifying that 'he is not suffering from Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome'. The Saudis must have been a bit paranoid about AIDS.

TWT
12th Oct 2017, 01:18
Havrix is a vaccine against Hepatitus A

KenV
12th Oct 2017, 14:17
All US citizens who entered the gulf area received the following vaccinations:
yellow fever, typhoid, cholera, hepatitis B, meningitis, whooping cough, polio, tetanus

Most troops (including pilots) also received Anthrax and many Botulinum toxoid vaccinations.

There's lots of research ongoing on the link between Gulf War syndrome and vaccinations. There is currently insufficient data to either link or rule out vaccinations as a causal factor of Gulf War Syndrome.

Brian W May
12th Oct 2017, 15:02
All US citizens who entered the gulf area received the following vaccinations:
yellow fever, typhoid, cholera, hepatitis B, meningitis, whooping cough, polio, tetanus

Most troops (including pilots) also received Anthrax and many Botulinum toxoid vaccinations.

There's lots of research ongoing on the link between Gulf War syndrome and vaccinations. There is currently insufficient data to either link or rule out vaccinations as a causal factor of Gulf War Syndrome.

Thanks Ken, I watch with interest . . .

ExAscoteer
12th Oct 2017, 16:03

That may well be the case specifically with linkage to GW1, but there is a whole raft of published data going back at least a decade before the conflict showing that multiple vaccinations of live inactivated or heat killed whole bacteria over a short period of time causes numerous symptoms and may, in the worst cases, overwhelm the host immune system.

Rigga
12th Oct 2017, 20:53
Anthrax, Pertussis and Botulism appear on my records too. NAPS didnt have any effects on me (My friends got quite some wind of it though and we renamed it Not A Pleasant Smell!) BATS was a short-lived thing 'cos I saw what it was doing to others.

ExAscoteer
12th Oct 2017, 21:22
With my degree background I took one look at what they were trying to do with the vaccinations and told the medics to foxtrot oscar in fully fine pitch!

They tried hauling me over the coals until pointed out that they didn't have a leg to stand on and that they should peruse QRs.

Tamazepam just ****** me up, I got no sleep, just bad dreams, a headache and the shakes, so that was a no no.

NAPS - ah yes, gave me the squits, shakes, and a hangover type headache. After a few days I decided that a few beers could give me the same (if lessor) symptoms, so they got chucked down the loo!

YellowTom
12th Oct 2017, 22:59
The Saudis must have been a bit paranoid about AIDS.

They were very paranoid - thousands of liberalised westerners, male and female, entering their pure and clean land. A relative was a deployed RAF Sgt medic and given the task of meeting Saudi's request of giving everyone entering the country an "AIDS test". Given the potential social and career implications of a random test coming back positive, his test was simply to ask everyone he saw "Have you ever had AIDS? Yes/No? Next".....

I should add that was for Op Granby.

Schnowzer
13th Oct 2017, 05:10
I got one in each limb in Aug 90, all at the same time. Cutter, Anthrax, Cholera and Tetanus plus a Polio sugar lump. It took time to find out what Cutter was. Initially I was told it was classified but I pointed out to the doc he had just stuck Anthrax in my other leg so how bad could it be? Cutter was Bubonic Plague.

I suspect Gulf War syndrome may have come from the total overload of vaccines; I was lucky...I hope.

Slow Biker
13th Oct 2017, 14:22
Prior to a deployment to Iraq post GW1 I was required to have Hep B and cholera jabs. I had the Hep B but the SMO advised he wold rather treat cholera than give the jab, just don't drink the water! I'm sure at Butterworth in the 60s we had a cholera jab every six months.

roving
13th Oct 2017, 15:15
As a 7 year old I had quite a few needles poked into my arms before travelling to Malaya where my father had been posted. The pain did not end there. A year later in Malaya, I tripped and cut myself on some rusty piece of metal. I was treated to a second tetanus vaccine. Unlike the jabs in the UK, the Royal Air Force medic in Malaya administered that one posteriorly.

Happily none of jabs stunted my growth.

Brian W May
13th Oct 2017, 16:32
Remember on a Tristar flight deck talking with Brize's SMO who asked me how was my experience with NAPS.

I told him I'd flushed them down the toilet, he informed me it was a court-marshal offence. I replied okay, but either I fly or I sit on the bog with a headache and besides he'd need to court marshal most of the aircrew I knew as they'd all done the same. I didn't hear any more regarding THAT subject.

As time goes on, I'm convinced that flushing them away and refusing all other injections was the correct course of action. As an aside, when I read accounts of the Hooligans in the Gulf, they too had done the same.

Thanks for your responses.

PS The chap that sent me a PM with a suggestion, noted Chris, thanks.

Skeleton
15th Oct 2017, 02:07
At Ice Station Kilo I recall asking for information on any possible side effects from having the anthrax jab. That information was not forthcoming so i refused point blank to have it, I recall I was one of many who refused.

Dan Gerous
15th Oct 2017, 12:20
The Saudis must have been a bit paranoid about AIDS.

When I went to work in Saudi in 1990, an AIDS test was mandatory. Don't know if they still do.

Top West 50
15th Oct 2017, 18:44
Most of the above. I asked the SMO if anybody had calculated the cumulative effect? He said no.

Brian W May
15th Oct 2017, 19:02
Most of the above. I asked the SMO if anybody had calculated the cumulative effect? He said no.

There's a surprise.

I was also on the ground at Jubail doing my external checks when there apparently was an incident that some suggested was a gas release - source unknown.

Guess how much I can find out about that - diddley squat.

Ah well, colour me surprised, just add it to all the other stuff we were never told.

mcdhu
16th Oct 2017, 13:13
Found my B/Med/27 which tells me pre GW 1 I had:
18/1/91 Anthrax 01/90 0.5 ml
18/1/91 Pertussis Al 868A 0.5ml
8/2/91 Anthrax 3431E 0.5ml
8/2/91 Pertussis Al 808 0.5ml
Cheers
mcdhu

Tengah Type
20th Oct 2017, 07:17
I had the full set of jabs while in Riyadh. Also took NAPS but not BAPS. The
only jab that caused any problems was the Plague jab. I felt awful for a
couple of days, and half the AHQ did not come to work after having it.

Since then my hair has turned grey. But that may not be a side effect!:sad:

Tashengurt
20th Oct 2017, 08:18
I had the full range of jabs, took naps etc.
No immediate effects but
some 25 years later they made my hair fall out and my belly swell. Is there a claim there?

Dougie M
21st Oct 2017, 20:05
The only jab which caused grief was the Anthrax and pertussis which was administered using two hypos lashed together with bodge tape. Our crew were ordered to have it by Riyadh Ops. "We'll be off then" we said afterwards. "You have to sit here for 10mins to see if you have a reaction" said the medic. When he looked in some time later the Loadmaster bleated like a sheep. "You are grounded for 48hrs" said the medic. So he was a bit surprised to find that we were the crew taking him to Jubail an hour later. The pre start checks were done on "Larry the lamb" voices. Strange but I have the grey hair and belly problem too. Can we claim on it?

golamv
22nd Oct 2017, 11:06
04 Mar 91
Typhoid A1911A (0.1 ml)
Anthrax D1031 (0.5 ml)
Pertussis C1865A (0.5 ml)
Cutter 10HO3A (1.0 ml)

I did NOT go back for the follow on Anthrax jabs as these injections, all on the same day, made me feel like crap for a couple of days. I recall sweating and headaches for about 36 hours afterwards, so I avoided the Med Centre.

Subsequent medication for other tasks included anti malaria tablets ... some of which caused headaches.

Healthwise, I was hospitalised for 4 days with acute diverticulitis in 2014 and suffered a ischemic stroke in 2015. I realise that I am very lucky to be alive with no long lasting, life changing disabilities and I’ll just keep taking the tablets and carry on with regular cardio exercises in the gym !

I wonder if any of the above could be related to the jabs that were given?

MrBernoulli
23rd Oct 2017, 18:33
Had the first dose jabs of Anthrax and Bubonic Plague in-theatre, and never went back for the rest of them. Ye gods, I was bedridden for 24 hours with what felt like the worst case of flu I have ever experienced, and a brain that felt it was too big to be inside my skull, and was going to explode! Kept getting reminders to attend the in-theatre med centre and have the 2nd dose ...... kept ignoring them.

NAPS proved to be 'difficult' on the stomach, so they got put aside quite soon, and were not touched again.

What a farce it was. :rolleyes:

BEagle
23rd Oct 2017, 19:01
As I was recalled from my UAS tour to refresh as VC10K captain for GW1, I had most of the drug cocktail long before being sent to Muharraq and thence to KKIA. Also a great time thanks to the Rocks at Abingdon giving me almost limitless fun with an SLP and about a hundred rounds of plinking time.

I had the second batch of jabs in theatre. No great snags (perhaps because I hadn't had any alcohol for ages?) and they didn't stop me flying. Then some other jab administered by the loveliest, most gorgeous little Scots reservist doctor imaginable "It'll just be a wee scratch", was what she said. It was quite chilly in the KKIA field hospital and the resulting effect under her nicely-filled olive green T-shirt was rather obvious and quite sufficient to take my mind off the war or any medical issues...:ok: I don't think that my immediate bodily reaction had anything to do with the inoculation though...:E

Never took BATs; however when I was clearing out my stuff prior to clearing having PVR'd 12 years later, I discovered that I still had some BATs, NAPs, combopens and even some Temazepam amongst my NBC stuff. Handed the whole lot in to the Stn Rocks, who were fine about it, great bunch that they were!

fergineer
24th Oct 2017, 02:48
Was in Oman on loan when it all happened, when the Nimrod Det arrived I was told to report for my jabs etc I declined the offer of any of them.

Brian W May
24th Oct 2017, 20:16
Was in Oman on loan when it all happened, when the Nimrod Det arrived I was told to report for my jabs etc I declined the offer of any of them.

Sensible chap Fergi, I wish I'd refused all of them too. Never heard anything more after telling the SMO I'd flushed the NAPS down the toilet . . . .