PDA

View Full Version : Bangkok to KSAN in G650ER

averagebusdriver
10th Oct 2017, 14:22
Hello community,

We’re trying a rather long city-pair stretch from Bangkok to San Diego in our G650ER this month. According to planning, the flight is entirely possible, however, I’m hoping to get some feedback regarding having a contingency plan in the event that fuel reserves become unacceptable for unforeseen reasons while enroute.

I’d imagine even in a worst case scenario our route would keep us along the California coast and that some of the northern airports there could be used for diversion if necessary.

Looking ahead, what might be some of the “gotchas” that I’d need to be especially concerned with attempting to have all my ducks in a row as best as possible?

For instance, should we phone ahead to KOAK or Sacramento to let them know it’s a possibility we might need to make an unplanned stop to clear customs?

Thanks very much.

:ok:

FlyMD
10th Oct 2017, 18:22
Depending on prevailing winds, you may not go North to the great circle, but go further South to catch the Jet Stream and then approach the Cali coast in a perpendicular fashion...

I've had to divert to a different airport of entry going into the US a couple times, once without any prior warning at all. We plonked into Duluth un-announced instead of making it to Minneapolis, and after a short lecture about keeping CBP in the loop, we were processed without further ado...

Peak Tram Driver
11th Oct 2017, 05:47
You could plan a fuel stop in Japan, you can do quick turns in RJAA RJTT RJCC.
Equally you could plan a stop in Anchorage or Fairbanks , just as fast.

juliet
11th Oct 2017, 08:06
That is a long, long time in a little jet.

fleigle
11th Oct 2017, 21:02
The G650 is hardly a little jet..., Juliet.
f

averagebusdriver
11th Oct 2017, 23:20
Depending on prevailing winds, you may not go North to the great circle, but go further South to catch the Jet Stream and then approach the Cali coast in a perpendicular fashion...

I've had to divert to a different airport of entry going into the US a couple times, once without any prior warning at all. We plonked into Duluth un-announced instead of making it to Minneapolis, and after a short lecture about keeping CBP in the loop, we were processed without further ado...
Info that’s good to know, and thanks!

averagebusdriver
11th Oct 2017, 23:23
You could plan a fuel stop in Japan, you can do quick turns in RJAA RJTT RJCC.
Equally you could plan a stop in Anchorage or Fairbanks , just as fast.
Good advise...As we review winds closer to departure date, we’ll make the final decision to fly at .85, or use .90 and do a tech stop in Alaska.

galaxy flyer
12th Oct 2017, 00:49
Weather permitting, I’ve had good luck at Whitehorse, YT—avoids the US CBP on a quick turn. Of course, you’ll have to do US customs clearance at SAN but then the flight’s done.

GF

Flying Mechanic
12th Oct 2017, 01:36
The fastest turns in my experience is PAFA, Aerofuel Alaska . 27 mins is my best.

Jet Jockey A4
12th Oct 2017, 03:23
We used to stop all the time in Anchorage for our flights from Asia to Canada for crew changes and fuel while trying to do a quick turn around but not anymore if we can help it.

US Customs at Anchorage is one of the worse stations I have ever dealt with especially is you want to accomplish a quick turn.

Often they will want every passengers to go into their terminal for complete customs procedure including all their luggage. Why can they not, like at a lot of other airports, just clear the people onboard? They know the pax are not getting off in Anchorage and that they were most likely sleeping on these flights.

Then they will even throw away all your catering so new catering must be ordered in Anchorage for the flight outbound.

Don't they understand what a "tech stop" is? All we want is fuel and a crew change, nothing except the crew getting off the aircraft needs to clear US Customs.

We now go directly weather and airport permitting directly to a Canadian port of entry.

averagebusdriver
12th Oct 2017, 05:38
The fastest turns in my experience is PAFA, Aerofuel Alaska . 27 mins is my best.
Thank you sir....well noted and will keep it in mind.

averagebusdriver
12th Oct 2017, 05:40
We used to stop all the time in Anchorage for our flights from Asia to Canada for crew changes and fuel while trying to do a quick turn around but not anymore if we can help it.

US Customs at Anchorage is one of the worse stations I have ever dealt with especially is you want to accomplish a quick turn.

Often they will want every passengers to go into their terminal for complete customs procedure including all their luggage. Why can they not, like at a lot of other airports, just clear the people onboard? They know the pax are not getting off in Anchorage and that they were most likely sleeping on these flights.

Then they will even throw away all your catering so new catering must be ordered in Anchorage for the flight outbound.

Don't they understand what a "tech stop" is? All we want is fuel and a crew change, nothing except the crew getting off the aircraft needs to clear US Customs.

We now go directly weather and airport permitting directly to a Canadian port of entry.
I’ve also experienced longer customs in Anchorage....thanks much.

averagebusdriver
12th Oct 2017, 05:41
Weather permitting, I’ve had good luck at Whitehorse, YT—avoids the US CBP on a quick turn. Of course, you’ll have to do US customs clearance at SAN but then the flight’s done.

GF
I’ll keep that in mind if a Canada stop needed. Thank you sir

flyboyike
27th Oct 2017, 17:05
The G650 is hardly a little jet..., Juliet.
f

It's a matter of comparison, of course.

Spooky 2
31st Oct 2017, 12:58

I'll 2nd that selection wxr not being a factor. Straight in 02 and load up with some very cold fuel and back airborne in no time.