PDA

View Full Version : Best way to obtain ''Experience''

Frostywing
9th Oct 2017, 23:09
Im currently studying the B1 modules alongside a degree but struggling to find the best way to find experience on live aircraft.

I know BA offer a work experience scheme but charge you £2000 for the privilege of shadowing an engineer for 10 weeks.

Is the best way to just beg all types of aviation based companies to take part in any old job or is there a more effective way of getting a foot into the industry, albeit at this early stage.

Aidy UK
12th Oct 2017, 02:58
Hi Frosty. First thing - what are you trying to achieve? modules for licence - B1/B2 then the degree? The degree will not get you any licence under part 66 - modules are essential. If you want to be an engineer - I would start begging cleverly to get your foot in somewhere! That is pretty much how I started and I'm on the cusp of my A licence now having completed all my B1 exams 2.5 years ago. Of course if you have 2K to throw at BA for 3 months then that will give you experience to pout on your CV. Start logging ANY work you do as the CAA have asked for 3 years from the date of the first entry. My ignorance of this fact has cost me 5 months from some work experience I did as I did not log it. All my work has been in a 145 organisation. Hope this helps.

Frostywing
14th Oct 2017, 11:18
Hi aid thanks For the reply. The course I am doing gets me a degree in Aircaft engineering and The Easa B license modules (separate exams for each of course)

So I guess the best way would be to fire of applications for placement opportunities.

I know having the B license modules entitles you to Apply for the A license after obtaining the required experience which I would rather work towards first anyway.

Are you on line maintenance?

Aidy UK
15th Oct 2017, 07:46
I have done a mixture of aircraft dismantling, base line and AOG work. This has covered 737,747,757,787,320/330/340 and line 380. I currently do A320 base which is the aircraft I know best. With half your modules you can look for mech work to get your OJT. This is the chicken and egg part. Can't get a job without exp. can't get exp without a job. You need to convince someone to give you a start. Base is best. Line is a live environment and without experience I doubt someone would put you on the ramp. Base is more controlled environment for you to learn. Where are you based? Lufthansa are looking for people at Gatwick and they have taken people with limited experience.

Aidy UK
15th Oct 2017, 07:47
Your in Cardiff. Speak to BA there too.

Arthur Bellcrank
15th Oct 2017, 11:36
Generally the larger organisations won't be too interested, H&S requirements, 145 competency assessments and so on, best to look at GA or small business jet MROs, they may be interested n a free pair of hands to help out.
You might write to the small companies at Lulgate or Staverton, as mentioned, log everything in your work experience log book, however minor.
Out of interest, what is your availability, do you study full time and just want weekend work, or can you spend 2 weeks at a time working in the hangar?

woptb
16th Oct 2017, 08:43
Try Cardiff Aviation as well. Also there have been adverts for unlicensed guys with modules for base maintenance in Malta,pretty sure paid as well. Guessing for a winter maintenance programme. Try searching Av'Job search. Good luck 😉

Rigga
16th Oct 2017, 20:09
log everything in your work experience log book, however minor.

This is MOST important - there are no bad or useless experience sheets - they all count! The more you can collect in your experiences the better.

One more point:
If you are going for the B Licence - forget the A. The A is free with the B.

Frostywing
7th Nov 2017, 00:32
i study from october to may, so i have half a year in-between and weekends are free.

Frostywing
7th Nov 2017, 00:39
Late reply i know but thank you all for your input, GA and small companies looks like the way forward at this stage.

In general the workforce is supposed to be full of very experienced individuals but coming to the end of their working lives, I'm wondering how companies are going to respond in finding fresh faces to replace them but not wanting anyone with little to no experience, seems like a catch 22, similar to the pilot 'shortage' but offering cadet places for the extortionate fee of around £100,000.

Aviation is a confusing world to say the least.