PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry phone wifi

rans6andrew
9th Oct 2017, 20:51
A friend has a Blackberry mobile phone. It has some nice features not found on modern smartphones. Recently it has stopped fetching WiFi data when logged onto the free WiFi in our favourite supermarket. It connects but then times out on every web page you try to get to. I turned my phone network data off and went to the same webpages and got immediate download through the same shop WiFi connection. He was thinking that the shop WiFi was not connecting to the internet anywhere but we have disproved this. Is it likely that the free WiFi might be blocking him for some reason?

One of the nice features of the Blackberry is the system diagnostic detail it gives. It has a network monitor which gives signal strengths in dB of any connections it can see. It also shows available and actual data rates, network addresses etc and even lets you test connections using Ping. All from a standard built in application. I've not seen that on a mobile phone anywhere outside of a test lab.

Rans6....

andytug
9th Oct 2017, 21:06
Might be blocked from using unsecured wifi for security reasons, they've not installed a security package recently or anything?