PDA

View Full Version : UK CAA License Application Turnaround Times

robert_tait
9th Oct 2017, 15:25
Does anyone have recent experience applying for a night rating with the UK CAA. I am trying to find out how long it takes for an application to be turned around. Also, I have heard that you can go to Gatwick and they will do it there and then if you wait. Is that correct.
Responses much appreciated!

t211
9th Oct 2017, 15:36
Why do you not Telephone them.

http://www.caa.co.uk/General-aviation/Pilot-licences/Applications/Process/Gatwick-airport-over-the-counter-service

Journey Man
9th Oct 2017, 16:26
Last time I sent a postal application, it took weeks. Ever since then I’ve used their counter service. Be there when the doors open. It’s worth the flight/travel costs.

robert_tait
9th Oct 2017, 16:37
Thanks chaps. So the counter service works OK?

DrJones
9th Oct 2017, 16:57
I went down there last year to get a type rating put on my licence. Got down there first thing, was out in about one hour. I would think that getting a night rating put on your license would be fairly straightforward and if you go down there they will turn it around in a few hours.

Journey Man
10th Oct 2017, 05:52
Thanks chaps. So the counter service works OK?
Recent similar experience to DrJones. Was in and out in an hour adding a new type rating to my licence.

robert_tait
10th Oct 2017, 06:22
Brilliant. Thank you everybody. I shall go for the counter service I think.

CL300
10th Oct 2017, 14:27
The only issue is that you need to go at a time that matches your rating. Early morning for type ratings, in foggy conditions for IR, and at night for a night rating... Good Luck

Marlon Brando
10th Oct 2017, 16:00
Correct

I remember you need 2 guys for a ME rating to be added on your license