PDA

View Full Version : Aviation Safety Digests now available Digital

Centaurus
8th Oct 2017, 11:00
Just came across this link. At last; Aviation Safety Digests are available in digital form. Thanks to someone special who has done the hard yards to complete this wonderful achievement. Fill your boots:ok::ok:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9wo9qzdor57lfkl/AACvKqXSW5EXrwEM0LzdqhYva?dl=0

Checklist Charlie
8th Oct 2017, 11:28
What an absolute gold mine.

Thank you to the responsible person/people.

CC

Ixixly
8th Oct 2017, 11:46
For anyone wondering, the entire download is 1.65gb, well worth it I think! Thanks heaps Centaurus.

Pinky the pilot
8th Oct 2017, 13:09
Duly downloaded and placed in 'storage,' to be viewed at my leisure.

Thanks to whomever was responsible!:ok::ok:

However, I will still continue my quest to locate and purchase the original hard copies, wherever I find them!:ok::D:}

RodH
8th Oct 2017, 21:08
Thanks for the link Centaurus. This makes fabulous reading and is a nice break from some of the crap that's on this web site at times.
Perhaps this should be in the Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific forum as it would be very popular amongst the veterans who prowl there.!!:ok::ok::ok::ok::ok::ok:

IFEZ
9th Oct 2017, 02:10
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it was a poster called Frontal Lobotomy who managed to put all this together (with help from many other contributors sending missing copies etc).

Anyway, a big thankyou to all involved, your hard work is much appreciated..! :ok:

Centaurus
9th Oct 2017, 07:20
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it was a poster called Frontal Lobotomy who managed to put all this together (with help from many other contributors sending missing copies etc).

IFEZ. You are dead right. Username Frontal Lobotomy did the lot and is appreciative of the thanks. More info later.
Cent.

Biggles78
9th Oct 2017, 09:50
Frontal Lobotomy, I wish I could put a bottle in front of you in appreciation of the brilliant job you have done and then shared with us all.

THANK YOU! :ok: (this site is badly missing the :beer: smilie)

These magazines or now called e-zines should be compulsory reading for all pilots especially post solo. Why post solo I can hear the baying mob cry? Because by that stage your brain is now beginning to speed up to keep pace with your now addictive hobby/career path and it is more likely to remember more of the lessons written about in these magazines.

I have no doubt that articles which I read in them helped keep my bag of luck from draining faster than my bag of experience was being trickle filled at.

Pinky the pilot
9th Oct 2017, 10:14
Ah yes, of course it was Frontal Lobotomy whose efforts have given us this gift!:ok: What Biggles 78 said.:ok::ok:

FL; Should we ever meet I shall be more than happy to place a bottle of whatever takes your fancy in front of you.....and I won't touch a drop of it!!!:ooh:

Frontal Lobotomy
9th Oct 2017, 10:22
Thanks for the positive feedback.

Someone had to do it and I got to read every one of them in the process.:ok:

Hopefully we will soon have a better home for them along with the missing last 15.

Biggles78 and Pinky appreciate the very kind offers.

Frontal

gerry111
9th Oct 2017, 12:44
Most appreciated, F.L. Thank you.

rjtjrt
9th Oct 2017, 20:50
Frontal Lobotomy.
Thanks. It must have been a daunting task.
You have really made a lasting contribution to aviation safety.

ventus45
10th Oct 2017, 00:33
Bloody brilliant - and bloody well done.

THANK YOU VERY MUCHLY !

triadic
10th Oct 2017, 02:22
I wholeheartedly endorse the comments above. Well done FL.

It is sad that for the final 15 copies approval for copyright from CASA must be obtained and it is sad that the legal folk therein put that in front of the distribution of some of the best safety related articles ever published in this country.

One would have thought (??) that somewhere in the bowls of CASA or other government agencies there would be room to store and publish these priceless publications on the web.:ugh::ugh:

Well done FL, well worth the effort.:ok::ok:

cheers

Frontal Lobotomy
10th Oct 2017, 03:23
Thanks

I meant to mention in my last post this would not have happened if the originals were not loaned and in one case given to me.

So :ok: to Centaurus, Capn Bloggs and his mate Harry, Norman Wells,Triadic and a couple of my mates.

Cheers
Frontal

DynamicStall
10th Oct 2017, 03:26
Incredible. For many years I have read numerous posts on this forum giving huge credit to the old Aviation Safety Digests from years gone by. Being a somewhat younger member of this profession I was unable to ever come across an old copy or was around during its heyday.

I can now see why these publications have been held in high regard for many decades.

Thankyou very much.

Sweet Surrender
11th Oct 2017, 00:22
I would just like to add my thanks to all those above.

When I started learning to fly over 40 years (:-( ago, the Safety Digest was always devoured from cover to cover. Once I had an engine failure and had to carry out a forced landing. All the way down I was remembering an article about trying to stretch the glide and stalling the aircraft. I maintained my speed all the way down and walked away from it. The article may or may not have saved me but I am definitely better off for having read those articles.
Thanks again FL.

jonkster
11th Oct 2017, 03:18
Those magazines were gold and still have great relevance today.

I am wondering - what is the story about copyright etc? Reason I ask is I wonder if it might be possible to set up a web site that can provide easy (and ongoing) access to all the articles - they are such a great resource.

I would envisage a free site with some search facilities. It would be solely as a public service not to make money and to hopefully make the information available widely, easily and in a permanently ongoing way.

I would be happy to assist in setting that up if the material is not restricted by reproduction rights, not stepping on anyone's toes and if people see it as worthwhile.

Flying Binghi
12th Oct 2017, 01:10
...After making enquiries last year to Trove,...

I'm surprised Trove didn't run with the project. I would have thought it were entirely under their remit..:confused:

Home - Trove (http://trove.nla.gov.au)

Frontal Lobotomy
12th Oct 2017, 08:50
Yes Binghi. It was not on their list last November.

Looks like the full collection is headed for https://www.canberra.edu.au/research/faculty-research-centres/cccr/research-projects/connectingthenation

The temporary link will remain until this is confirmed.

RENURPP
13th Oct 2017, 06:29
Duly downloaded and placed in 'storage,' to be viewed at my leisure.

Thanks to whomever was responsible!:ok::ok:

However, I will still continue my quest to locate and purchase the original hard copies, wherever I find them!:ok::D:}

Which copies are you after?

I have the following copies.
14,87,91, 95, 97, 98, 100, 102, 105, 106, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 123, 124, 125, 126, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 148, 149, 150, special - human factors and visul flight There may well be some more hiding in the shed some where.

India Four Two
20th Oct 2017, 22:09
Hello from halfway round the world. Thanks for your efforts, FL. I'll look forward to reading these.

I would also like to advertise the Canadian equivalent, the quarterly Aviation Safety Letter, which is available here:

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/publications/tp185-menu-5395.htm

Issues dating back to 2003 are available online.

PS Is the ASD the publication that I have seen referred to as the Crash Comics?

triadic
21st Oct 2017, 00:00
yes, that was the 'nickname' given to it over the years. Subsequent publications have never filled the slot vacated by the ASD including the digital version of late. The annual paper edition is just far to large. To get the message thru it needs to be a similar size to the ASD and published more often - at least every quarter.
Rumour has it that there is some backroom work going on to address this deficiency in the distribution of safety articles. Lets hope it works!

Frontal Lobotomy
23rd Oct 2017, 02:11
The last 15 (Digests 136-150) are now up on the link in post #1.

FL

Flying Binghi
23rd Oct 2017, 07:22
...The annual paper edition is just far to large...

Seems to be more gloss then substance.

FullOppositeRudder
8th Nov 2017, 04:22
Thank you - a very valuable resource which would have taken many hours of tedious repetition.

Very much appreciated :D

FOR

FAR CU
31st Dec 2017, 20:25
Issue Number One came out in July 1953.

In it is a piece recounting the dead-stick wheels up landing of a C47
with no ensuing damage whatever.

The article is headed - HOW GOOD CAN YOU GET?

The company Connair in the early seventies at Alice Springs once had Beech 80 Queenair
VH-CMI . The ops manager, Roger Connellan on a test flight was
unable to lower the gear. High in the circuit he feathered both. He knocked the 3 blade props round on the starters and greased the old girl onto the runway. Truly the ace of the base, he had a framed photo of his achievement sitting on his desk. (The Queenair's main wheels when retracted poke out a bit a la the C47/DC-3.)

Frontal Lobotomy
2nd Aug 2018, 11:39
Looks like they are now available here (https://collections.heritageoftheair.org.au/items/browse) so I will delete the other link.

Centaurus
2nd Aug 2018, 14:26
Looks like they are now available here (https://collections.heritageoftheair.org.au/items/browse) so I will delete the other link.

Thanks FL. Perfect reproductions. Have referred numerous new and older pilots to your excellent work.

VH-MLE
4th Aug 2018, 04:07
Yes Frontal Lobotomy, fantastic work and thankyou for your efforts...

Cheers.

VH-MLE

CaptainMidnight
21st Sep 2018, 00:41
Received overnight from the Civil Aviation Historical Society Airways Museum / Civil Aviation Historical Society (http://www.airwaysmuseum.com/)

The CAHS has been working with the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) to make all 150 issues of the Aviation Safety Digest, the famous ‘crash comic’, available onlline. Join us at the Airways Museum this Sunday, 23 September 2018 for a short ceremony at which ATSB Chief Commissioner Greg Hood will officially launch the Digests on the ATSB website. The event begins at 3.30 pm and a light afternoon tea will be served afterward.

Frontal Lobotomy
7th Nov 2018, 06:11
Searchable PDFs are now located here Aviation Safety Digest (https://www.atsb.gov.au/aviation/aviation-safety-digest/)

FGD135
13th Nov 2018, 02:27
Anybody know how to search through these online ASDs?

In light of CASA's recent throwing away of a large slice of our accumulated wisdom re fuel carriage, I would like to find what the ASDs of yesteryear had to say on some of the contentious aspects of CASA's new fuel rules.

Dora-9
13th Nov 2018, 22:09
I've been wading through these, many half-forgotten articles have emerged from when I was getting my PPL.

A question: can anyone identify the Chipmunk involved in the "Low level aerobatics cause fatality" article, p9 of ASD Issue 33 (March 1968)?

I think it was possibly VH-DBI (C1-0120) which crashed at Armidale NSW on 15.4.1962, but I'm not entirely certain.

Thanks.

Frontal Lobotomy
7th Dec 2018, 23:57
For those that may want to search the entire collection, the link below is to a searchable file containing all the ASDs. It is chunky at 1.9GB and will need to be downloaded to your PC or tablet.

Hopefully a better option is not too far away.

ASDs Searchable (https://1drv.ms/f/s!AkkMXua65ch9ux9_QM0qd-Eya4eM)

Manwell
1st Aug 2019, 10:16
Tis a far, far better thing you do than I have ever done. Frontal. I'm sure Dave Robb and the other editors would be stoked if they're still around. Human Factors is one of my favourites, and a story about hand written advice given to a new bush pilot by an old hand. CASA wouldn't want that sort of thing available to newbies now. It might give them the idea they aren't the authorities on safety at all...

Frontal Lobotomy
2nd Aug 2019, 07:11
Thanks Manwell

The hand written advice to which you refer in the HF edition seems to cover most ways to kill yourself in a light aircraft.

It would be great if newbies read the old ASDs as they are gold and still very relevant. Not sure how you get that to happen. The scanned ASDs being available on the ATSB website must be a positive..

Centaurus
2nd Aug 2019, 12:08
Not sure how you get that to happen.

Unfortunately it is a lost cause. Ever since ASD was available on the ATSB website I have discussed this with numerous pilot acquaintances I meet in the course of my (admittedly part time) job. There is nothing but apathy and a revert to their Iphones to scan Facebook or whatever appears on their screens. I may as well have advised them to study old issues of The Champion comic and read about Flight Lieutenant Rockfist Rogan RAF, of Spitfire and boxing fame during WW2, for all the good that did to further the cause of flight safety..

One avenue is to have CASA Examiners target flying school managers and make them responsible for briefing their instructors to include study of ASD as part of professional development. In turn instructors pass this information down to their students. All fine in theory but regretfully we know it won't happen. At the last public get together of the roving CASA/ATSB flight safety forum at the Mantra Hotel at Tullamarine I suggested to the forum leader that this was a good venue to advertise the presence of ASD on the ATSB website. His blank look said it all.

ASD was successful mainly because it came free in the post to PPL holders and above; thus exposing readers to the brilliant writings of Mac Job the editor of ASD 1964-1976.

chimbu warrior
2nd Aug 2019, 12:24
I got notification from CASA recently that Flight Safety Australia would soon be available in print for $39.95/year (or thereabouts). Who had the brilliant idea to charge for this?

Whilst FSA is not a patch on the ASD, charging for it is hardly the way to promote safety.

I also notice that there does not seem to have been an edition of FSA published in the past 12 months; is that correct?

Sunfish
11th Sep 2019, 21:52
What’s the point of reading the FSA? The best description I’ve read of house magazines like that was “drowning in maple syrup “. I used to read the old ASD’s cover to cover in the old Ansett engineering publications section that had a large dusty pile of them.

Do I want to read the modern one? Articles like “my ipad flat battery almost killed me.” and “is your windshield wiper rubber time expired?”. Quizzes full of trick questions about obscure regulations?

The old ASDs were, I thought, about airmanship, something CASA seems to have no use for today.

Dick Smith
16th Sep 2019, 02:33
I have become a subscriber and recently received my first printed copy.

I reckon a lot of hard work has gone into it

I would say a job well done and would recommend a subscription.

Page 52 is an eye opener- 4 fatal accidents in a row!

Lookleft
18th Oct 2022, 01:49
I received a copy of the latest FSA and I think CASA are actually doing a good job and trying to get it back to what the ASD was. There are a lot more articles with pilots actual experiences and close calls. I also understand that they have journos such as Steve Creedy and Ross Peake involved.

annalola
17th Nov 2022, 21:07
Thanks for sharing the information..