PDA

View Full Version : Job opportunities and some insight into flying domestic & regional airlines

gruntjc
7th Oct 2017, 06:06
Hi All,

Firstly, apologies if I've posted this in the wrong section.

I have read a number of posts by board members who are currently employed in an unrelated profession and are looking to switch careers.

I have yet to embark on my RPL, but am seriously considering becoming a full time pilot.

I realize the odds are against me - I am 42 with no flying experience. Having said that, a close friend of mine who gained a cadetship with Cathay at the ripe old age of 37 has said there are many ways to get a foot in the door - with a cadetship being just one.

I've been advised, at best, I would be able to work for a regional airline like Rex, however I will be applying for various cadetships (obviously not those that require 150+ hours of flying and a CPL) on the off-chance I might be one out of 70,000 applicants who is lucky enough to gain entry.

My questions are:
1. what would be the upside to flying for a regional over a large commercial brand like Qantas, Virgin, Jetstar etc??
2. as a regional or domestic pilot, what is your schedule and day to day life like?
3. how long did it take you to pay back all the money spent on training etc?
4. what is the culture of these organisations like? (i.e. the domestics and the regionals)
5. does anyone know anyone who commenced flying at 40+ and was successful gaining a position with any of the majors or regionals?

Thank you!

gruntjc
8th Oct 2017, 04:09
Anyone? Would appreciate input from experienced pilots