PDA

View Full Version : A concerned observer

Amber Vibes
4th Oct 2017, 04:04
I just want to preface my post by expressing my support and solidarity to you as a pilot group. I don't work for CX, but someone very close to me does. Full disclosure here: I am a pilot for another airline who went through something very similar.

I don't know what Cathay Pacific's motivation is to erode your pay and benefits, and to BLATANTLY VIOLATE YOUR CONTRACT. Is it to subsidise large-scale gross incompetence at the highest levels on the backs of the labor groups? Is it an attempt to pare down the company as much as possible in preparation for a sale? Perhaps a combination of the two? I don't know, but I am very familiar with this playbook, and I can tell you it won't end well unless you unify and stand your ground. They are counting on the more senior guys being too afraid to rock the boat and/or leave. They are counting on the more junior guys who signed up for much less to agree to an “increase” in their T&C. They are counting on the based guys not feeling affected by any of this because a percentage of them think they will never have to go to HK anyway.

I have a few questions/suggestions:

1. Why haven't you guys convened an emergency meeting, including teleconferencing in the other based pilot groups, and ensuring that a representative percentage of trainers are present?

2. CX is trying to win in the court of public opinion. Why don't you publish an OP ED in the SCMP or similar publication with:

A list of all the managers and directors and their perks and housing allowance.

A copy of the document where Cathay Pacific agreed to in writing to an extension of housing for 25 years in exchange for concessions you gave in good faith.

The actual full article that your DFO cited out of context to manipulate – in an attempt to support an indefensible argument.

If you can't get an OP ED published, why not start a separate thread here on pprune with the list of the managers and directors and their respective perks and housing along with a photo of the 25 yr. housing agreement signed by Cathay and the real article in full. I'm sure the media and the curious public often lurk here.

3. You can't get the public to understand or sympathise unless they know something about you and hear your side of the story. How about a Q&A style interview with a union rep and 1 or 2 other pilots on a local tv news outlet such as Pearl TV?

4. If you decide to organise and engage in an (in)activity to get CX's attention, don't do it until December for maximum impact!

5. If all else fails, this is blatant contract violation. Get an emergency injunction to prevent CX from moving forward with this until it has been ajudicated.

I think this assault on your profession, and yes, it is a profession, is appalling. I wish you guys well and I hope they don't succeed.

Dragon Pacific
4th Oct 2017, 04:12
Please explain why public opinion matters, I don't think it does. The discerning traveller knows we are good at what we do and that they are safe with us, what more do they need to know about our pay and conditions? It is none of their business.

Amber Vibes
4th Oct 2017, 04:25
Dragon, CX is attempting to portray your pilot group as a bunch of over-paid, over-indulged cry babies. It's important to show them why having skilled and competent pilots should cost something. Moreover, CX appears to be dumbing down its brand and the "discerning traveller" will not be their core customer base much longer.

Freehills
4th Oct 2017, 05:01
To be fair, not really a blatant violation of the contract to give three months notice on housing benefits. Unreasonable and unfair sure,but not a violation. As the saying goes you get what you negotiate not what you deserve and the company have decided this is too good a crisis to waste and are 'negotiating '

Amber Vibes
4th Oct 2017, 05:10
@Curtain Rod - You put it much more eloquently than my clumsy attempt.

@Freehills - My understanding, albeit limited, is two fold: (1) The union contends that ARAPA IS part of your contract ergo there is contract violation; and (2) CX extending ARAPA for 25 years in exchange for the concessions the pilot group gave in 2008 should not have a 3 month statute of limitations to cancel.

Trafalgar
4th Oct 2017, 07:03
Amen........

raven11
4th Oct 2017, 08:35
Amber Vibes.
Thank you for your well written posts. Our union does need to engage the public...and it's members...for goodness sake I'm still waiting for something...anything...from the union...are their comms on...?

It seems that our members are organizing a response on their own, writing letters directly to our management--without any guidance from the union. I say again, are their comms on? Squawk ident please!?

goathead
4th Oct 2017, 09:28
Darryll and Chris would like everyone to know that they are still contemplating ending HPE ......
There you have it.
I better run along now I have a very important letter to write, its going be killer, the best so far.