PDA

View Full Version : Wildcat - why is turret on top of nose?

Trim Stab
4th Oct 2017, 00:49
Can anybody explain why the Wildcat has its EO/IR turret on top of the nose extension, rather than underneath?

I know the naval Lynx is like this, but I thought this was a compromise due to some other constraint. But as the Wildcat was envisaged from the start with a turret, surely it would have been better to put it under the nose?

Putting the turret under the nose would allow the sensors an uncompromised 360 horizon and only slightly less vertical movement than its current position.

I can't think of any reason why you would want to look up on a naval or army helicopter.

unmanned_droid
4th Oct 2017, 01:21
Some illustrations show a 360 degree search radar under the nose. I guess this way you can have both.

Trim Stab
4th Oct 2017, 04:02
Some illustrations show a 360 degree search radar under the nose. I guess this way you can have both.

I think that may be the reason why the Lynx had to have the turret above the nose, because there was no other space to put it on the underside of the aircraft. But if you are designing an aircraft from scratch then there is no need for this configuration - plenty of fixed wing ISR aircraft have radar and turret mounted below.

alfred_the_great
4th Oct 2017, 06:41
my only thought is that helicopters tend to travel forward slightly nose down - if the EO/IR device were underneath, would that not be impinged?

Trim Stab
4th Oct 2017, 06:57
my only thought is that helicopters tend to travel forward slightly nose down - if the EO/IR device were underneath, would that not be impinged?

No, I don't think that could be the reason. Possibly during takeoff during the phase to build airspeed the nose is pitched a long way down but normally the turret would be stowed for that phase. In normal cruise it would not be a problem at all - the turrets can swing through greater than 180 degrees in pitch.

It seems to me that putting the turret on top of the nose loses a lot of mission possibilities, but gains nothing as far as I can work out.

4th Oct 2017, 07:11
I would think commonality between the RN and AAC versions would be the simple answer - just goes to show what an afterthought the AH 1 was - much like the SH version of the Merlin with the comedy ramp.

Trim Stab
4th Oct 2017, 08:23
I would think commonality between the RN and AAC versions would be the simple answer - just goes to show what an afterthought the AH 1 was - much like the SH version of the Merlin with the comedy ramp.

Who wanted the turret on top - AAC or RN? Can't see why it would be much of an advantage to either, and plenty of reasons why it is a disadvantage to both.

Wensleydale
4th Oct 2017, 09:01
Who wanted the turret on top - AAC or RN? Can't see why it would be much of an advantage to either, and plenty of reasons why it is a disadvantage to both.

When trying to land on a pitching ship, I would imagine that deck clearance with a lower mounted turret could be a problem?

Bing
4th Oct 2017, 09:01
But if you are designing an aircraft from scratch then there is no need for this configuration

Does it look like they designed the Wildcat from scratch?

Trim Stab
4th Oct 2017, 09:23
When trying to land on a pitching ship, I would imagine that deck clearance with a lower mounted turret could be a problem?

You could design out that risk by putting it on an offset step under the nose (sort of like it is now, but other way up).

I would have though the advantages of having 360 horizon would far outweigh any of the difficulties of integrating the various systems. I don't know of any other platform that puts the EO/IR turret in such a compromising configuration.

Bing
4th Oct 2017, 09:33
I don't know of any other platform that puts the EO/IR turret in such a compromising configuration.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/74/SH-60B_Seahawk2.jpg/1200px-SH-60B_Seahawk2.jpg

melmothtw
4th Oct 2017, 09:37
'a compromising position for an army helicopter' is what I think he meant to say, Bing.

4th Oct 2017, 09:42
Surely it is because the radar is their primary sensor and it has to have premier siting under the nose to give it a maximum unobscured sweep.

With that there, there really isn't any room for the EO ball as well.

Again, commonality of design would seem to drive the AAC one to have the same configuration (less the radar) as the RN one.

Rotate too late
4th Oct 2017, 10:08
Surely it is because the radar is their primary sensor and it has to have premier siting under the nose to give it a maximum unobscured sweep.

With that there, there really isn't any room for the EO ball as well.

Again, commonality of design would seem to drive the AAC one to have the same configuration (less the radar) as the RN one.
What’s the laser target designator like?

Bing
4th Oct 2017, 10:08
'a compromising position for an army helicopter' is what I think he meant to say, Bing.

I wasn't totally sure, but then the Apache and Cobra have their EO/IR sensors in a similarly compromised position so it's not true that no other army helicopter has it in such a compromising position either.

Rotate too late
4th Oct 2017, 10:42
I wasn't totally sure, but then the Apache and Cobra have their EO/IR sensors in a similarly compromised position so it's not true that no other army helicopter has it in such a compromising position either.

It’s the Same height as the LTD as is the weapon rails. Just like in the infantry, you have to show your hand eventually, but the MMA inc RFI reduces the risk in a conflict.

NutLoose
4th Oct 2017, 12:06
Well simply nailing it on the underside would also mean the scanner head would be reversed Ie the left side would be the right, maybe it would need a complete redesign of the scanner unit too, but dry hydraulics never was my forte. It will also be partially protected from ground fire?

Not_a_boffin
4th Oct 2017, 12:14
Thought the priority for pongo cabs was to have the sight as high as possible, allowing use of cover for recce and obs. Hence

Kiowa Warrior MMS

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/65/Oh58d.jpg/220px-Oh58d.jpg

Even the old Lynx AH had a roof mounted sight.

On wildcat, down to commonality.

tucumseh
4th Oct 2017, 12:16
On Lynx Mk3/8, when the radome was dropped to the chin to facilitate a 360 degree scanner, the sidelobes interfered with the seeker head of Sea Skua. The initial solution was two metalised "playing cards" to tailor the beam pattern. That would be about 1990. Prior to that, it was a 180 scan, but it wouldn't display lock to +/- 90 so you couldn't turn away at even 90 degrees after firing. The nose area of Lynx has always been a compromise.

bobward
4th Oct 2017, 15:14
I heard a tale about the early coastguard AW139's and their under nose sensor fit. It worked well until one landed on muddy ground. The wheels went in and it twanged the expensive sensor head.

1 Is this true, or just and urban myth? and
2 might that be the reason why Wildcat has the turret on top, just like the Lynx did?

4th Oct 2017, 15:36
That may have been more to do with the poor (narrow tyres and little clearance) undercarriage it had which was unsuitable for soft ground.

alfred_the_great
4th Oct 2017, 15:38
If the nose down altitude in flight thing is a red herring, my presumption would be that because the Lynx Mk10 started off like that..

dangermouse
4th Oct 2017, 16:09
There are no such things as an Army Wildcat and a Navy Wildcat, they are the same airframe fitted with role specific kit, any Army one can be turned into a Navy one and vice versa (unlike a Merlin for instance)

so as correctly stated above to give a 360 radar picture the radar goes underneath, if you want a radar and an EO on a helicopter that fits into a ships hangar that you can change by LRU swapping into an 'Army' aircraft guess where the EO goes?

(BTW there is no such thing as a Lynx Mk10)

DM

4th Oct 2017, 17:16
BTW there is no such thing as a Lynx Mk10) perhaps that is what the Super/Wild/Lynx/Cat started out as:E

If it walks like a duck................

Trim Stab
4th Oct 2017, 23:05
There are no such things as an Army Wildcat and a Navy Wildcat, they are the same airframe fitted with role specific kit, any Army one can be turned into a Navy one and vice versa (unlike a Merlin for instance)

so as correctly stated above to give a 360 radar picture the radar goes underneath, if you want a radar and an EO on a helicopter that fits into a ships hangar that you can change by LRU swapping into an 'Army' aircraft guess where the EO goes?

(BTW there is no such thing as a Lynx Mk10)

DM

Hmm, but the Merlin manages to get both radar and EO on underside of aircraft.

The radar and EO would not unduly obstruct each other if fitted underneath if there was a gap between them - no more obstructive than the fixed gear on a helicopter anyway.

Would be interesting to know if EO with limited horizon is really that constrictive on Wildcat role. It would be nigh on impossible to use on a fixed wing aircraft.

Bing
5th Oct 2017, 07:47
Hmm, but the Merlin manages to get both radar and EO on underside of aircraft.

Would that be the Merlin that carries it on the starboard weapons carrier?

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/image_data/file/6864/ProudManta1g.jpg

Or the one that carries it on the nose?

https://www.helis.com/h/eh101it_206.jpg

5th Oct 2017, 09:34
Wing mirrors, how quaint - is he planning to tow a caravan ?;)

tucumseh
5th Oct 2017, 10:16
I remember back in 1985 a few folks were having kittens at the thought of a radar scanner fault. 3-point jack on a rolling ship, remove 36 bolts, drop radome.... Not sure if anything changed.

Just This Once...
5th Oct 2017, 16:49
There are no such things as an Army Wildcat, only a Navy Wildcat being flown by the Army

Fixed that for you.

Bismark
6th Oct 2017, 18:10
The fact is it doesn't matter that it is where it is. Te Army got what the RN were getting, no choice in the matter. The EO pod aids the aircrew in their search capability. In general, and given the detection range of the sensor, the aircraft will be heading towards the target (+_ 100deg). The 360 radar allows for a ground stabilised picture which makes life so much easier for the crew.

switch_on_lofty
7th Oct 2017, 23:17
Bit of clarification here:
Lynx Mk3 - 180deg radar + TANS + plotting board on observer's lap. No camera.
Lynx Mk8 - 360 radome but only a 180deg scan due to interference. Central tactical system i.e. 1 colour screen for tactical stuff. Sea Owl near-IR camera.
Wildcat HMA Mk2 - 360 radome with new radar and MX15 turret atop with many cameras and lasers built-in. Generally radar used to search and camera(s) used for ID in conjunction with other sensors like EW and AIS. So unless you want to look at something behind you or directly below you you can use the turret. Since you have a 360 radar you can keep tracking everything while you move the aircraft to put the target in the field of view.
Wildcat AH Mk1 - like HMA but with no radar.

SASless
8th Oct 2017, 00:04
Wing mirrors, how quaint - is he planning to tow a caravan ?

BAE failed again....if they had put a pair of Mirrors on the Tail Fin....the Pilot could look at the back of his own head.

Trim Stab
8th Oct 2017, 03:05
The fact is it doesn't matter that it is where it is. Te Army got what the RN were getting, no choice in the matter. The EO pod aids the aircrew in their search capability. In general, and given the detection range of the sensor, the aircraft will be heading towards the target (+_ 100deg). The 360 radar allows for a ground stabilised picture which makes life so much easier for the crew.

It must somewhat limit surveillance tactics though if they can only fly straight at a target. When flying surveillance on a fixed wing we would always stand off and circle a decoy target (another boat, or some other poacher's camp fire) while keeping the real target geo-locked on the MX15. We used sometimes to use it pointing down like a radar altimeter on VFR night approaches in Africa. I expect crews would find lots of other uses for it if it could point down - might be useful for winching for example, or perv-flying along the beach;)

John Eacott
8th Oct 2017, 03:12
Wing mirrors, how quaint - is he planning to tow a caravan ?;)

I guess you never noticed those shiny things out of the side window of your yellow peril, crab@ ??

http://www.military-airshows.co.uk/photocomp/jun06/chrisfs.jpg

But I'm impressed that the left seat driver remembered to signal for a left turn :p

pulse1
8th Oct 2017, 08:15
If this article turns out to be correct, it might not matter where the turret on the Wildcat is:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/threat-to-marine-landing-ships-and-navy-helicopters-in-defence-review-5kmpwgtd8

8th Oct 2017, 09:41
John - they removed them all a few years before we stopped flying the yellow bus and lots of us weren't happy with it:ok:

Shame the cojo is indicating left while they are in a right turn........... another one who needs L and R on his gloves:)

Trim Stab
8th Oct 2017, 14:07
John - they removed them all a few years before we stopped flying the yellow bus and lots of us weren't happy with it:ok:

Shame the cojo is indicating left while they are in a right turn........... another one who needs L and R on his gloves:)

The two crew members are saving money by using their palms as lifting devices. Very dedicated.

KiloB
8th Oct 2017, 20:55
The two crew members are saving money by using their palms as lifting devices. Very dedicated.

Don’t knock it till you’ve tried it. A mate and I flew a light aircraft for about 20 min just using a hand out the vent panel on each side during an afternoon ‘bimble’.

KB

8th Oct 2017, 21:21
There is a theory that when cupping your palm into the airflow at 90 kts, it feels exactly like a perfect female breast.............discuss.......

kintyred
9th Oct 2017, 13:11
There is a theory that when cupping your palm into the airflow at 90 kts, it feels exactly like a perfect female breast.............discuss.......

Yes, but you need to put a peanut in your palm to simulate the nipple!

Vendee
9th Oct 2017, 13:53
Good God! The clocks have gone back already.......... to 1970 :ugh:

9th Oct 2017, 14:11
It's a virtual crewroom - no need for the outrage bus or the need to be painfully PC:ok:

Vendee
9th Oct 2017, 15:54
It's not a virtual crewroom. It's supposed to be a forum for professionals, male and female. :rolleyes:

kintyred
9th Oct 2017, 16:42
Good God! The clocks have gone back already.......... to 1970 :ugh:

Now that's funny!

9th Oct 2017, 16:58
It's supposed to be a forum for professionals, male and female. who hopefully haven't had their sense of humour surgically removed and don't feel the need to take offence where none is intended:ok:

And it is a forum for professional pilots - from many of your posts it would seem you are/were an engineer.

Vendee
9th Oct 2017, 17:18
who hopefully haven't had their sense of humour surgically removed and don't feel the need to take offence where none is intended:ok:

And it is a forum for professional pilots - from many of your posts it would seem you are/were an engineer.

You are wrong again.

"A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here."

Still, its interesting that you felt the need to check up on my posting history.

9th Oct 2017, 21:43
Still, its interesting that you felt the need to check up on my posting history as it is interesting that you chose to question a light-hearted post - you never know who is posting or why.

Yes, the description of the Mil forum is wider than I suggested - still within the Professional Pilot's Rumour Network though - you see we pilots are very inclusive:ok: