PDA

View Full Version : Good GTA Flight Schools and Post-CPL Prospects

WestBoundPilot
3rd Oct 2017, 14:24
I'm moving to Canada next year and am thinking about a career in aviation. I don't yet have a PPL but I do have a couple of questions:

- What are good flight schools around GTA? I've heard Brampton is good, anyone have any experience with Toronto Airways? Any others you would recommend?

- After obtaining a CPL ME-IR what are the prospects and time frames for progression? I've heard references to moving north, but where and why? Can anyone give me feeling for what the market is currently like?

- Are there any sponsored cadet programs in Canada, like there are in some other countries?

- Feel free to add anything else I should know.

Thanks in advance,
Ben

Foxdeux
3rd Oct 2017, 18:41
I went to Toronto Airways to get my PPL. It was a pretty good school though I don't have anything to compare it to. I've flown out of City Centre airport and their school seemed a little less professional, and they're super busy with Porter. Toronto Airways is now at Oshawa Airport which is a far drive from Toronto. However when I was doing my PPL at Toronto Airways they were training China Southern pilots, not sure if they're still doing that but I'm sure they're doing something right.

WestBoundPilot
6th Oct 2017, 13:00
Thanks Foxdeux, much appreciated! Toronto Airways was closer to where I'll be living which is why I was looking at it. Good to hear that about them.

I was also looking into an IATPL with Seneca, anyone know if they're any good?

captainsierra
14th Oct 2017, 18:34
Avoid Toronto airways at all costs. They milk students for all they have. Very unprofessional and no regard for customer service on many levels. Speaking from experience. I promptly left and so did alot of people I know. Brampton is your best bet. Durham flight Centre is also very good.

jackieofalltrades
14th Oct 2017, 20:11
Brampton is an uncontrolled airport and can get manic at times. Durham Flight Centre, based at Oshawa has a good reputation.

Pilot DAR
14th Oct 2017, 20:57
Welcome WestBound,

I learned at Brampton back in the '70's, and was very satisfied. Brampton is the only flying club in Canada who own their airport, so the club controls what happens there. It can be busy, but no worse than any other Toronto area airport.

WestBoundPilot
18th Oct 2017, 09:56
Thanks for the tips all! It looks like Durham Flight Centre and Toronto Airways are right next to each other operating out of the same airport. Are they linked in any way?

captainsierra
19th Oct 2017, 03:37
Thanks for the tips all! It looks like Durham Flight Centre and Toronto Airways are right next to each other operating out of the same airport. Are they linked in any way?

No they are not. Different In every way.

rubikscube1348
17th Nov 2017, 08:35
Check out WWFC
Waterloo Wellington Flight Center.
I did a couple of hours over there before heading south to finish my training. I believe they are still training UW students but if you find the right instructor, he could get you done in about a year and half.
The weather can get in the way so make sure to consider that when you start. This was one of the biggest reasons I headed south.
Apart from that, they have a good fleet and the management is decent.

WestBoundPilot
17th Nov 2017, 09:30
Thanks for the recommendation rubikscube! I'm looking to start around Feb - March, will the weather around Toronto be poor at that time do you think?

pfvspnf
18th Nov 2017, 14:48
Don't expect much flying at all until April or May

WingSlinger
19th Nov 2017, 16:48
Thanks Foxdeux, much appreciated! Toronto Airways was closer to where I'll be living which is why I was looking at it. Good to hear that about them.

I was also looking into an IATPL with Seneca, anyone know if they're any good?

I believe Seneca flight training is in Peterborough, about 3 hours drive NE from Toronto.

WestBoundPilot
22nd Nov 2017, 21:29
Thanks for all the comments. I'm going to check out Durham Flight Centre when I go over. Hopefully they're good.

pfvspnf
23rd Nov 2017, 15:57
Hopefully BH is still around DFC, such a nice guy

WestBoundPilot
23rd Nov 2017, 17:30
Hopefully BH is still around DFC, such a nice guy
Bill Hueston, Flight school manager? You trained with him?

JustStrutt
29th Nov 2017, 21:03
whatever you do, do not go to Canadian Flight Centre! nobody has finished this program yet, this School is a total SCAM! They wont deliver the training. Very inadequate services, they have done to me from misleading practices, misappropriation of funds, violation of my rights, dishonest attempts of charging money up to expelling without an applicable reason.
Anyway lost lot of time money and effort. Still dealing with the 10,000 dollars injury in court. The planes are in extremely bad conditions too..

rubikscube1348
30th Nov 2017, 14:19
Thanks for the recommendation rubikscube! I'm looking to start around Feb - March, will the weather around Toronto be poor at that time do you think?

I agree with the other comments. Weather is usually crap around this time. One way to check is WWFC TWITTER Page. They post the current flying status live. So around this time, usually its “no fly”

glen26
18th Dec 2017, 15:40
Canadian flyers, very narrow and short runway, excellent for practicing take-off and landing. In addition the airport is very close to the training area (less than 5 minutes) and is a private airport with very little traffic.