Here is what happened to our magnificent F-111s:

https://player.vimeo.com/video/86663113?title=0

So sad.

Capn Bloggs
3rd Oct 2017, 06:20
B-111s you mean. :)

StickWithTheTruth
3rd Oct 2017, 06:25
Will we look back on this in a few decades and be thinking of the buried Spitfires and how we want to dig these up and get them flying again?

Flying Binghi
3rd Oct 2017, 07:23
Will we look back on this in a few decades and be thinking of the buried Spitfires and how we want to dig these up and get them flying again?

For most people think Spitfire and Battle of Britain comes to mind. Think F111 and afterburner over the sporting event comes to mind. Whilst the pilots who flew F111's will likely have fond memories I don't think there will be the same nostalgia from the general public... and then there's the running costs..

Pinky the pilot
3rd Oct 2017, 09:50
And whilst the buried F111 airframes are a known fact, the buried Spitfires are a myth.

So far anyway....:hmm:

Regrettably, I suspect that it is indeed just that. A myth.:{

gerry111
3rd Oct 2017, 10:00

Yes. The F-111s were bombers rather than fighters. :)

(Fortunately, many Australian F-111s have been assigned to museums around the country and even one to Hawaii. The buried airframes had been heavily cannibalised to keep the rest flying.)

Fliegenmong
3rd Oct 2017, 10:16
I think I posted this video before.....seems a real shame they are almost 'crowing' about it....well it is a promo for Theiss I suppose.....but still....

Understand that all those years ago when we bought them....we were supposed to destroy them......but really...if the gummint can't afford to keep them flying....what chance of them falling 'into the wrong' hands..?

Somewhere there is photos of what they did to the powerplants....reduced to bits the size of 50c coins...

How many people would have loved to have had a control column....altimeter...landing light.....nose wheel.....as a souvenir? (Not fuel tanks...they can be buried!) ...... flap track...rudder hinge.....whatever..

gerry111
3rd Oct 2017, 11:55
The RAAF kept our F-111s flying, well past the time that the USA fleet were retired. (That was quite an achievement in itself.) Most of the F-111Gs were cannibalised to keep the remaining original F-111Cs flying towards the end. :)

packapoo
3rd Oct 2017, 21:01
I suspect this has been covered here before, from looking at that vid.

bafanguy
3rd Oct 2017, 21:11
Well, you're not supposed to bury them. Put them in the desert and wait to see if you need 'em again later. You have some deserts Down There, right ?

Airplane boneyards, Davis-Monthan AFB AMARG military aircraft boneyard, airliner boneyards, WWII airplane boneyards, maps, boneyard photographs, tours, and locations (http://www.airplaneboneyards.com/)

Wiggley
3rd Oct 2017, 21:34
Destruction of, and proper disposal of some of the 111's we imported from the USA was part of the conditions of sale. Whilst it seems like a waste it's something the Australian government was contractually obliged to do.

Fris B. Fairing
3rd Oct 2017, 21:46
It must be remembered that 13 F-111s were preserved. This is 29% of all the F-111s that came to Australia. This is a remarkable achievement by any standard. That so many were saved is due mainly to serious lobbying by some of the non-government recipient museums and the political will that resulted. Another factor that helped to save them was the realisation that there would be little revenue from scrap value and that it would actually cost the taxpayer to destroy them. That being the case, it followed that for a little more expenditure a significant number could be preserved and the nation would have something to show for it. The restoration and placement of 13 F-111s was superbly handled by the same dedicated people who had maintained them during their service career.

What Happened to Australia's Pigs? (http://qam.com.au/qam-content/aircraft/f-111/porcine-perambulations.htm)

bafanguy
3rd Oct 2017, 21:50
Destruction of, and proper disposal of some of the 111's we imported from the USA was part of the conditions of sale.

We just can't leave Australia with the ability to attack the USA !! ;)

Ascend Charlie
4th Oct 2017, 01:01
A group of North Koreans were spotted digging them up and putting them on a container ship...

And waaaaay back in the 70s, the RAAF decided that it would be a good idea to change over all those cedar desks and dining tables in the dining rooms and public areas, and put in lovely laminex and aluminium items.

The old wooden tables and desks, which could have easily been sold, or at least donated to the Salvos, went into a hole, crushed by dozers, and buried.

About the same time, they decided to save money on toilet paper by removing the roll holders and installing metal boxes in each cubicle, containing tiny sheets of shiny paper. We all know that nothing sticks to shiny stuff, it just smears it around, so people would carry their own roll to the loo. The accountants saw that they were saving HUGE amounts by doing this, the shiny stuff rarely needed to be refilled, so they patted each other on the back and took yesterday off.

itsnotthatbloodyhard
4th Oct 2017, 11:13

The standard reaction of Mirage drivers who were a bit sensitive about the bomber pukes flying something that was faster and more useful:E

gerry111
4th Oct 2017, 13:44
And waaaaay back in the 70s, the RAAF decided that it would be a good idea to change over all those cedar desks and dining tables in the dining rooms and public areas, and put in lovely laminex and aluminium items.

The old wooden tables and desks, which could have easily been sold, or at least donated to the Salvos, went into a hole, crushed by dozers, and buried.

Thank goodness that the RAAF SNCO's at 2AD Radio, during 1985 didn't have the same attitude when the crappy Duff Steel benches were installed. All the old solid wood benches were distributed and I still have mine. :D

Supermouse3
5th Oct 2017, 23:47
am i missing something? why weren't they torn up for scrap metal?

Fris B. Fairing
5th Oct 2017, 23:51
am i missing something? why weren't they torn up for scrap metal?

Presence of things like asbestos and other nasties.