PDA

View Full Version : RAF+CAA Medicals

Stud3
16th Jul 2002, 20:37
I'm 16 years old from the North East UK and having just finished my GCSE's i've been working at the airport to save up for a PPL earning around £90/£100 a week. I was just wondering what medical standards are required for the CAA or the RAF as i am very keen on applying for RAF 6th Form Scholarship, and of course starting a PPL course at Newcastle Aeroclub.

Thanks in advance.

Andy T, Stud 3

jonathang
18th Jul 2002, 19:35
The CAA Medicals are

Class 1 Medical - for Commercial

Class 2 Medical - for Private

Details can be found at:

http://www.caa.co.uk/srg/med/document.asp

The RAF one I am not sure on the details but is more in depth. Athsma is a problem.

Thanks

JonathanG

Broken Wings
19th Jul 2002, 22:17
Stud3
I joined the RAF in 1977 and took a CAA Class One in 1994. In 2000 I was permanently grounded by the RAF. The CAA allowed me to do an Extended Renewal last year and now I have a JAA Restricted Class One "As, or with Co-pilot". I wish you the best of luck with the RAF (I had a wonderful time and the experience will stand you in good stead for civvy street) but the moral from my tale is do a Class One as soon as you can afford to do it. You cannot be issued with a Restricted Class One on initial application, and from my own experience you don't know what's around the corner in life.

Jinkster
20th Jul 2002, 12:21
Hello,

Call the CAA and also ask at your local RAF Careers office - I am sure they'll be able to tell you.

Good luck

Jinkster :D