PDA

View Full Version : Contacting companies re: recruitment???

hermes
19th Jan 2001, 18:56
So you have sent your CV to various companies and want to follow it up. What is the best way of doing this. I have phoned most companies only to be told never to ring and getting the feeling that they are heading straight for the pile of CVs in search of yours to put it through the shredder. In fairness some companies do not mind being called but I think they are a minority. I realise that they must get quite a few calls and would spend alot of time dealing with them, but surely they must realise the stress and anguish of waiting for a reply of any kind. How have your dealings with the companies been? How have you approached them?

SurfSpook
19th Jan 2001, 19:39
I'm afraid there is no correct answer to this question as all companies are very different. The key to obtaining that illusive first job is persistence.

I know that when you are looking for the first job, it is tempting to use the shotgun approach and send CV's to everyone. It is best to target airlines that you know are willing to take on the low hour/ low experience pilots (if indeed this describes you).

I ignored this advice, and all it gained me was a large bill for stationery and stamps.

It doesn't do any harm to make an initial phone call to find out:

1. Minimum requirements
2. Anticipated Recruitment Dates.
3. To whom a cv should be addressed
4. If they mind you re-calling peiodically to see if any of the above has changed.

This approach basically starts a productive conversation, and gives you a chance to build a relationship with the secretaries (they are important as you need to get past them to speak to anyone higher up the ladder). Also it gives you an idea as to whether you are wasting your time with a specific company.

Some companies get quite irritated if you apply despite them publishing a mimimum standard that you don't qualify for, and they simply don't care that you are struggling for your first flying job.

I sent out cv's for 6 months and achieved a big fat zero for my trouble. My luck changed when I went back to my flying school (SFT) and by chance secured a part time job there. This put me into the forefront of my CFI's mind and he mentioned me to a few of his friends in the business.

Within a couple of weeks I had 3 interviews with regional airlines.

Unfortunately, it is often,"who you know" not, "what you know."

But saying that, I sent a cv into a major carrier not too long ago, and to my surprise was asked to attend an interview. It is sometimes just a matter of your cv being on the right desk at the right time.

Hence, as I said right at the beginning, persistence is the key.

Hope I have helped, you probably knew all of that anyway. It is the only way though.

Good Luck with the search.

SkyCruiser
20th Jan 2001, 02:16
I agree with surfspook, all my interviews and leads for a flying position have been through people I know.
I am waiting for my contract to come through the post any day now for my first job, even this position has come from a very good friend of mine(cheers wizzy)helping me out.

Keep hanging around your local flying club and speak to as many people as you can, make those contacts.

SC........