PDA

View Full Version : EASA Class 3 Medical and Depression

tigerinthenight
30th Sep 2017, 14:32
Hello,

I had a bout of depression about 5 years ago. Reported to GP, sent on a CBT course which didn't really do any good, depression got better by itself and has never been an issue since. Never prescribed any medication.

Assuming I declare this on my Initial Class 3, does anybody foresee any problems?

If I'm referred to a psychiatrist, what sort of testing can I expect?

Has anybody had any experience with this in the UK?

neilmrobinson
30th Sep 2017, 21:18
I came off medication for depression last year and now possess a Class 2.... I think you need to be off them for at least six months with no outstanding problems.

Jodelophile
2nd Oct 2017, 17:59
I think if you have been well for 5 years you will be fine.

Homsap
13th Oct 2017, 09:27
I think it was the case that if you needed medication or see a psychiatrist. Bear in mind psychiatrist presribe, and pyshologists do not. I wouldn't have thought CBT or counselling should be a problem. Likewise its though that in any year up to 40% of the population suffer from depression.

The dificulty here is that following the Germanwings accident there may be moves to tighten up things, having said that Lubitz was taken medication, seeing a Psychiatrist and not entirely honest about his health.

My advice is to have a chat with you local AME or write to the CAA. You might also check with your GP, how he has described your condition, as I note that GP's tend to use the term, 'patient has issues with her mood', I presume there is a difference between mood and depression, the later is probably diagnosed by a clinical psychologist or psychiatrist.

Finally this not the first time I and others have mentioned this. In the meantime think about your life syle in terms of your diet, fitness, weight and take up a new sport or hobby. Alot of doctors dish out tablets for depression, but myself and other think that a regime of rigorous exercise is probably the first step out of depression as well an antidote. Exercise apparently releases a natural happy drug in the body. Finally moderate or heavy drinking can contribute to your mood adversely, and I heard that some people have felt happier by giving up drinking or only drinking occassionaly.

I hope that is of use to you.