PDA

View Full Version : Response to DFO Thompson re ARAPA and BOAS termination

controlledrest
30th Sep 2017, 02:26
'Not only is the company unable to afford this, industry benchmarking confirms that current ARAPA assistance also stands significantly above market rates for accommodation and rental assistance provided not only for other airlines, but also by other sectors in Hong Kong.'

Not relevant for the following reasons:

Unlike a manager who can move between companies and industries I have a set of skills which ties me to operating aircraft. Seniority ties me to CPA. It doesn't matter what a banker, lawyer or doctor receives for accommodation, nor a pilot for another carrier. Remove seniority from the industry, then maybe we can talk about what other airlines are paying.

'...we are asking all employees to make sacrifices...headcount reductions....salary freeze....'

How much is your housing allowance decreasing by?

The headcount reduction was well overdue. Years of mismanagement and silo departments gave us hundreds of unproductive paper pushers following broken procedures.

My salary hasn't been frozen, it has been reducing from erosion of spending power due to inflation. Has your salary increased or decreased in real terms? The other managers?

How much has the fuel hedge, cargo fines and numerous legal battles against your employees cost the company? How much have the performance based bonuses to the managers responsible for these decisions cost the company? The managers have put the company into its current financial position, not the competition, not the employees.

I view the housing allowance as a part of my package. If you force a cut to it I will have no choice but to reduce my productivity by a suitable amount at a time of my choosing.

Freehills
30th Sep 2017, 04:02
'Not only is the company unable to afford this, industry benchmarking confirms that current ARAPA assistance also stands significantly above market rates for accommodation and rental assistance provided not only for other airlines, but also by other sectors in Hong Kong.'

Not relevant for the following reasons:

Unlike a manager who can move between companies and industries I have a set of skills which ties me to operating aircraft. Seniority ties me to CPA. It doesn't matter what a banker, lawyer or doctor receives for accommodation, nor a pilot for another carrier. Remove seniority from the industry, then maybe we can talk about what other airlines are paying.

So you are saying you are stuck, and dependent on CX's goodwill? Not a comfortable position to be in