View Full Version : Daily Express report on stalling

Broadlands
29th Sep 2017, 14:26
The report in the Daily Express in the link below says:

“TURBULENCE can cause a plane to slow down so much that it stalls mid-air, which effectively means all engines shut down.”

Strangely in all my years of flying tubulance has never caused all engines to shut down. Unfortunately the public will believe this journalist.

Plane crash threat: Turbulence can cause aircraft to STALL and fall out of the sky | Travel News | Travel | Express.co.uk (http://www.express.co.uk/travel/articles/859432/plane-crash-turbulence-dangerous-stall)

Daysleeper
29th Sep 2017, 14:49
The only surprise with that article is that it doesn't link it to the death of princess Diana...

Herod
29th Sep 2017, 14:52
It's difficult to know where to start. Having stalled many times, admittedly not in heavy jets, I've never know a stall cause engine failure. My guess the journo has read somewhere about engine stalls, and thinks they're the same thing. Or perhaps cars "stalling", when the engine does stop. Doh! Air France 447 wasn't a stall the pilots couldn't recover from; it was a stall, the pilots DIDN'T recover from.

Richard Taylor
29th Sep 2017, 14:55
The Daily Express.

giggitygiggity
29th Sep 2017, 14:59
The only surprise with that article is that it doesn't link it to the death of princess Diana...

I probably shouldn't laugh about that, but it's true. Although I like how you played it safe rather than mentioning Madeline McCann.

2Planks
29th Sep 2017, 14:59
Daysleeper - or the disappearance of Madeleine McCann!

giggitygiggity
29th Sep 2017, 15:03
Well Planks went there!

Downwind Lander
29th Sep 2017, 15:12
The report in the Daily Express in the link below says:

“TURBULENCE can cause a plane to slow down so much that it stalls mid-air, which effectively means all engines shut down.”

She must have got the idea from somewhere. All I can think of is a misreading of AF447

Yes, it was. I've just read the article a bit more thoroughly. " ... sent it into a stall that the pilot could not recover from" ? If I recall rightly, the captain was having some well earned kip and the others didn't know they were in a stall and were pulling back to get some more height whilst the pitot tube was iced up.

DrJones
29th Sep 2017, 15:58
This reminds me of the Sky News reporting with regards to when the BA 777 lost both engines on short final into LHR. I remember Kat Burley saying on the news "We know what happens when both engines fail, the plane drops out of the Sky". What utter rubbish!

kcockayne
29th Sep 2017, 16:19
It is only when one is confronted with a press article on a subject in which you have a reasonable amount of knowledge, that you realise the depth of press ignorance. This applies to all areas, not just aviation. Take that into consideration the next time that you read an article on any subject. The truth is out there ..... but, not in the Daily Mail, Express, Mirror etc !

29th Sep 2017, 16:29
The Daily Express.

You can contact the 'journalist'.

Just ask for Mucky McRakeface.

edi_local
29th Sep 2017, 16:37
The "journalist" is fully aware that their "article" is utter :mad: However at the Express they don't report the news at all. They merely fabricate something about a topic in order to scare people. If this was in the print edition then it'd be right next to a full page advert for an airline no doubt.

I notice they have made up at least 2 other articles relating to the Bali volcano, one involving QR, the other TG. All they have done is steal a bunch of tweets people have sent to the airline asking if their flights are OK and what to do if not. The airlines, as is usual, just say they are monitoring it and should they cancel flights then people will be advised how to proceed. The Express has managed to make a story out of nothing about it, of course.

Zeus
29th Sep 2017, 16:47
"The public want the story not the facts" is what a student at my college was told by their "tutor" when asked to write a piece about problems with DC10s.
He had handed it to me for a quick read through. Regrettably I pointed out some errors and suggested he read Jane's All the World's Aircraft.

Have to say I agree with kcockayne's comment about believing anything you read in the press these days.

DaveReidUK
29th Sep 2017, 17:03
This reminds me of the Sky News reporting with regards to when the BA 777 lost both engines on short final into LHR. I remember Kat Burley saying on the news "We know what happens when both engines fail, the plane drops out of the Sky". What utter rubbish!

Strange, I could have sworn that's exactly what it did.

clunckdriver
29th Sep 2017, 17:19
Terrible writing! Not even a mention of "Air Pockets", this guy needs to read some more tabloids to get it right!

Mikey66
29th Sep 2017, 18:19
That's what has always scared me, you read something that you have a wee bit of knowledge off and quickly see it is :mad:, read things you have no knowledge off and take it as truth.... As leat subconsciously

brakedwell
29th Sep 2017, 18:40
The gutter press lies again.

WindSheer
29th Sep 2017, 19:02
It's because the pilots are flooding the engine with too much petrol....

brakedwell
29th Sep 2017, 19:06
I thought it was because the pilots selected the wrong gear when the engines slowed down.

JEM60
29th Sep 2017, 19:37
PLEASE can we re-incarnate Reginald Turnhill!. {Daily Telegraph Aviation Correspondent of old]

MaximumPete
29th Sep 2017, 19:37
Obviously haven't heard of buffet boundaries and the consequences of a high speed buffet.

eckhard
29th Sep 2017, 20:23
I thought it was because the pilots selected the wrong gear when the engines slowed down.

Yes, that and the extra load on the gear box when the chemtrail dispensers are active.

Stu666
29th Sep 2017, 20:57
It's actually because the pilot takes his foot off the gas and brings the clutch up too quickly :E

aox
29th Sep 2017, 21:29

or the coldest winter in 150 years.

parabellum
30th Sep 2017, 02:28
I did read a story somewhere of a 'T' tail aircraft entering a Deep Stall and due to a highly reduced and highly disturbed airflow around the intake, the engines shut down,(possibly due to the intervention of Top Temp Control (TCC)).

sherburn2LA
30th Sep 2017, 04:02
what a load of crap.

Didn't even mention 'plummeting'

DaveReidUK
30th Sep 2017, 06:49
I did read a story somewhere of a 'T' tail aircraft entering a Deep Stall and due to a highly reduced and highly disturbed airflow around the intake, the engines shut down,(possibly due to the intervention of Top Temp Control (TCC)).

You may be thinking of the Pinnacle CRJ that suffered a pilot-induced stall at FL410, causing both engines to flameout and subsequently fail to restart.

But that aircraft was at no stage in a Deep Stall - the pilots recovered control but were killed in the ensuing emergency landing.

Crash of Pinnacle Airlines Flight 3701 Bombardier CL-600-2B19, N8396A Jefferson City, Missouri October 14, 2004 (https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/Reports/AAR0701.pdf)

Innominate
30th Sep 2017, 17:06
There's more: The ground effect: Bizarre 'floating' RISK to a plane during takeoff and landing | Travel News | Travel | Express.co.uk (http://www.express.co.uk/travel/articles/860368/flights-plane-landing-takeoff-ground-effect)

"THE GROUND EFFECT is an aerodynamic principle that affects planes at takeoff and landing - and pilots have to be very careful when they come across it."

Don't they come across it on virtually every landing?