PDA

View Full Version : CPL (H) without IR

CharlieDontSurff
27th Sep 2017, 16:40
Hello there,

I'm curious to know what kind of jobs are about that don't require an IR (apart from instructing and sightseeing). With it costing upwards of £40K, I wondered if it is a worthwhile investment for someone who may not utilise it for offshore/HEMS etc.

So, does general charter require an IR?
Shuttling guests to and thro sporting events?
Ariel work such as heli-logging/surveying?

Thanks in advance...

puntosaurus
27th Sep 2017, 17:03
Almost all of them, other than twin engine operations under IFR. Not necessarily, Not necessarily, No.

CharlieDontSurff
27th Sep 2017, 18:14
Almost all of them, other than twin engine operations under IFR. Not necessarily, Not necessarily, No.

Thanks for the reply, I guess an IR is one of those things that's nice to have but not always necessary.

jeepys
27th Sep 2017, 18:56
If you want to earn a half decent crust then you will need a IR although at present that's probably not a good idea.

Limited to VFR could limit your salary quite significantly.

VFR in this country is not particularly reliable so although many flights maybe carried out VFR if the a/c and pilot are IR it makes for better business.

helimutt
27th Sep 2017, 20:16
Anyone spending the money on CPL(IR) these days has lost their marbles.

Spunk
28th Sep 2017, 06:51
Been flying for 25 years now and never needed an IFR-ticket. Nevertheless, sometimes I wish I had one just to make me feel a little bit more comfortable.

jeepys
28th Sep 2017, 22:38
Like I say it depends on what you want to earn.
If you want £100k then you will need an IR but if you are happy with £20-£55k then VFR is an option.

jeepys
29th Sep 2017, 11:00
Some of the old school AA and Police may still be operating under VFR although I appreciate most of those operations are now flown by IFR rated pilots.

haihio
29th Sep 2017, 11:10
Whether you need an ir or not Also depends on where on this planet you intend to work.
I have an Easa multi engine ir and so far I've never used it, actually all my Easa license and ratings have been a huge investment with zero returns. But thankfully with my faa tickets I can work well pretty much all over the world👍