PDA

View Full Version : AF or Air NZ

320JI
16th Jul 2002, 17:57
travelling to lax next year from LHR. Given both fares to be the same would you go on Air France on a 777 or Air NZ on a 744????

Would love to here some opinions.

Andy 320JI

Carnage Matey!
17th Jul 2002, 00:13
Well the ANZ will be direct whereas the AF will be one hour in the wrong direction then even longer from CDG to LAX. The IFE will all be in English on ANZ, but the 777 should have IFE in every seat. Choices choices....

gofer
17th Jul 2002, 08:25
AF - but that really is just personal.

Arguments of 2 legs v. 1 and in flight entertainment are probably the most important.

When doing that leg I'm usually in Business class (sorry), and then the better choices of food at AF would be my 'winner'.;)

sickBocks
17th Jul 2002, 09:23
I did that trip with ANZ a couple of years back (Economy). Impressed by the legroom - definitely one of the better economy products.

Land After
17th Jul 2002, 11:54
NZ have some of the best economy legroom for longhaul. If you'd rather fly to Paris for a longer flight to LAX with French IFE in a smaller seat, that's your choice. The food may be better, though :)

Flying anywhere in Y is not a pleasure trip. Shop, scrimp and save for Premium or Business if you can.

Pax Vobiscum
17th Jul 2002, 13:22
I've also been impressed by NZ's economy legroom and service (good NZ wine from real bottles and no reasonable limit on top-ups). My experience of AF in Europe has not been good so I've never been motivated to try them for long-haul (almost always an extra leg anyway, unless you're headed for Francophone Africa).

I assume you're looking at these two for the cheapest rates - if you (or better someone else) are paying full ecomony fare then look at Virgin Premium Economy (which I've used) or BA World Traveller Plus (which I haven't) - you get a Club size seat without the expensive Club trimmings.

320JI
17th Jul 2002, 20:28
thanks or the tips.

does air NZ definately not have any in seat IFE???

the price is the winner here. expedia offering Air NZ for £245 + tax return. AF cheapest is 275 but you have to change in paris

would love to save for buisiness class but don't think thats on the cards...will have to plead on check in...it will be for my honeymoon;) :) :)

what about seat preferences in economy. This will be the longest flight i/we have ever done. How do i get an exit aisle??

ta again

knobbygb
19th Jul 2002, 10:53

You don't give dates for the trip, but BA have fares of £250+tax for early next year (through to the end of April, excluding Easter), £272 from May onward. (Premium economy is £650 for the same dates).

Their online booking site is worth a look. Put the dates in you're interested in and it automatically gives prices for all the days around that time so you can select the cheapest dates/flights. This is much easier than hitting Expedia or others with loads of queries for different dates. Great thing is you can then still go book the flights on Expedia,or wherever, once you know which ones are cheapest, not sure why you'd need to though. Once booked, you can log onto BA's website and request specific seats, this applies whoever you bought the ticket through. You just need to register first.

I'm sure other airlines must offer a similar service too.

Failing that, try Travelocity. They have fares on Air Canada for £247 and several others inc. VS, BA, AF, KL and Swiss for £250+tax. (Select 'My dates are flexible' on the front screen).

Good luck.

knobbygb
19th Jul 2002, 11:05
one other tip...

When travelling as a couple, I always try to book on an aircraft type that offers two seats together by the window. If you go on a 747 you will have a third seat next to you which will probably be filled.

Choose an A330/340, 777, DC10 or MD11 if you can. Virgin's afternoon flight to LA is an A340 so you'll get more privacy. United have 777's in 2+5+2, but some (Continental, BA) are 3+3+3. Not sure about Air France.

The good thing about online seat selection is that you can do 'odd' things that you couldn't do face to face at check-in. When travelling in a set of three seats, I usually request the window and aisle seats, leaving the centre one free. That way it's less likely to be filled if the flight isn't full. Then, if someone turns up to take the middle seat, simply offer them the aisle instead and you've lost nothing (they'll be grateful). If the seat IS empty, you get to stretch out!

Land After
19th Jul 2002, 11:40
The last two or three rows at the back of 747 economy usually have two seats by the window - not three. Depends if you can stand the crowds that normally gather at the back - maybe not an issue for the daytime flght out, but may be disturbing for the return.

320JI
20th Jul 2002, 09:52
Thanks for all your tips.

Have been to the BA website but the cheapest they will offer is over .the grand for he two of us on the dates we need. unforturnately we are a bit restricted in that dpartment.

looks like AIR NZ have our business. Might well try the window/aisle trick though that sounds promising...

Am flying Ryanair today to Newquay....should be ineresting

:eek:

mutt
20th Jul 2002, 10:38
As its your honeymoon, I would go for the aircraft with the biggest toilet !! :):)

On a more serious note, the AF product doesn’t warrant an extra flight via CDG.

Mutt.

Samuel
21st Jul 2002, 04:56
The 2002 best airline survey puts ANZ 4th globally, behind Malaysian and Cathay[but not by much and they have many more flights] AF not in the first ten;and ANZ 1st in the Pacific area. Qantas nowhere globally, and 4th in the Pacific!