PDA

View Full Version : Aer Lingus-7

Pages : 1 [2]

PPRuNeUser0176
21st Jun 2019, 08:31
Reported in Moroccan media Aer Lingus will resume Agadir and begin Marrakech.

For Ireland, Morocco is Gateway to African Markets | The North Africa Post (http://northafricapost.com/31935-for-ireland-morocco-is-gateway-to-african-markets.html#.XQva2QgOzhk.twitter)

Alteagod
21st Jun 2019, 10:02
BEY would be a nice addition

21st Jun 2019, 10:15
BEY would be brave considering the lack of ties between the two countries, the fact that Lebanese tourism has never recovered from the Civil War and that you are competing for westbound transfer passengers with BA, Air France, Alitalia, Lufthansa and Turkish.

If looking Middle East, Amman would seem to make more sense, as a country that has been largely more stable and because Royal Jordanian are in OneWorld, so their eastbound connections could be used and their network could feed on to EI transatlantic. Not that I think Amman is a remote possibility.

Alteagod
21st Jun 2019, 13:09
EI cant just expand ever westward surely!! CPT did very well when LTU/Air Berlin/A2B did the charters.

NorthernCounties
21st Jun 2019, 14:15
Are Finnair flights feeding the TA network out of Dublin?

21st Jun 2019, 14:18
Broadly I'd agree with you, but with Turkish, Emirates, Etihad and Qatar having flights from Dublin and great onward connections, the question is what can the niche be.

There aren't really any routes that can sustain themselves on point to point alone.

At least Amman has access to the Royal Jordanian network, but I still struggle to see viability.

There is probably demand between Ireland and India, but not necessarily to any individual airport in India, so who do they partner with there?

PMacD29
21st Jun 2019, 18:24
Surely with that range, AL could look to service popular Caribbean destinations from DUB including the likes of CUN and PUJ? These are a broadly untapped market from Ireland...

EI-BUD
22nd Jun 2019, 16:05
EI cant just expand ever westward surely!! CPT did very well when LTU/Air Berlin/A2B did the charters.

it doesn't matter whether viable routes flying East past Europe exist for Aer Lingus, US routes will always be a far more atteactive option, just as in the case of Dubai, deploying the 330 on US routes want just more financially attractive yield wise, it will also feed short haul...simples.

Asturias56
23rd Jun 2019, 07:41
Aer Lingus already operate to Seattle 5 weekly with an A332 so I doubt it's an XLR candidate. If anything it's set to go daily next summer on the A332.

probably make more money with the A321XLR - which is what I'd expect many airlines to do - any spare A330 capacity can be used to open up new routes starting with low frequencies and use the newest aircraft intensively on proven routes

USERNAME_
25th Jun 2019, 19:30
Off topic somewhat.

But think the new EI livery makes this old Cityjet bird look good as new, very smart.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1600x1086/68779_1558042664_b7b9e5931489625b16f2bb68bbd5766d2f2f07e2.jp g

flightplantrack
26th Jun 2019, 12:43
14 and the first expected in a few weeks. Also two new build A333s due this and next year but one expected to replace an A332.

Any idea if they plan to still operate the 330's to AGP and FAO early morning rotations next year? Not loaded for sale as of yet. Maybe new route launches will bring those to an end?

MCDU2
11th Jul 2019, 13:50
Article in the Indo today quoted Sean Doyle as saying only 3 or 4 European destinations to be served by the A321LRs initially. LHR, CDG, AMS for example. I suspect some of the older A320s will be sold/returned to leasor so the net effect won't be huge. If anything would only free up an airframe or two to do early short rotations.

Fly757X
11th Jul 2019, 13:53
Article in the Indo today quoted Sean Doyle as saying only 3 or 4 European destinations to be served by the A321LRs initially. LHR, CDG, AMS for example. I suspect some of the older A320s will be sold/returned to leasor so the net effect won't be huge. If anything would only free up an airframe or two to do early short rotations.

However the oldest A320s CVA/VB have been repainted. I wonder will more A320s be released off AMS/CDG/LHR and then used for expansion instead?

CCR
11th Jul 2019, 19:25
Would be great to see EI base an A321LR in Cork for the LHR route and New York or Boston given Norwegian will likely go bankrupt over the winter season.

PDXCWL45
11th Jul 2019, 19:49
Would be great to see EI base an A321LR in Cork for the LHR route and New York or Boston given Norwegian will likely go bankrupt over the winter season.
Wasn't Norwegian supposed to go bankrupt last winter?

Asturias56
12th Jul 2019, 09:56
Surely with that range, AL could look to service popular Caribbean destinations from DUB including the likes of CUN and PUJ? These are a broadly untapped market from Ireland...
Guess it's a matter of demand - I can see there is an Irish/N England/Scotland market but I suspect its for the whole Caribbean - once you choose a specific island the numbers may not stack up

12th Jul 2019, 15:04
Would be great to see EI base an A321LR in Cork for the LHR route and New York or Boston given Norwegian will likely go bankrupt over the winter season.It's more likely to go to Cork if Norwegian stay running.

The only way that would be made as a business decision is if they could see that Norwegian's service out of Cork was impacting on yields out of Dublin.

Just a spotter
2nd Aug 2019, 15:31
Having arrived earlier in the week, it looks like the first A321LR (EI-LRA) operated its inaugural revenue flight today as EI-131 from DUB to BDL

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/picture-aer-lingus-takes-first-a321lr-459957/

JAS

quantumofcheese
2nd Aug 2019, 16:16
Video of the inaugural flight below:

https://youtu.be/vSPvUrrD4XE

NorthernCounties
6th Jan 2020, 19:32
Any idea why EI-FNG departed for Abu Dhabi this morning?

AIRBUSNNS17
6th Jan 2020, 19:59
Any idea why EI-FNG departed for Abu Dhabi this morning?

It positioned DUB AUH for maintenance. EDY also positioned for maintenance today except it went to BOD.

Just a spotter
5th Mar 2020, 12:29
Stobart has deployed an Embraer E190, EI-GHK on Aer Lingus Regional routes today. The aircraft was until yesterday (4th March) operating for Flybe.

JAS

5th Mar 2020, 14:34
With all the fallout from FlyBE, I reckon Dublin will be losing over 100K transfer passengers, most of whom would have used Aer Lingus.

What are the prospects of the freed up Stobart aircraft finding their way into an expanded EI Regional network in Dublin?

Cardiff and Southampton would surely make sense at least.

EI-BUD
5th Mar 2020, 15:25
With all the fallout from FlyBE, I reckon Dublin will be losing over 100K transfer passengers, most of whom would have used Aer Lingus.

What are the prospects of the freed up Stobart aircraft finding their way into an expanded EI Regional network in Dublin?

Cardiff and Southampton would surely make sense at least.
Flybe feed into Dublin is nothing like that volume, I'd be fairly sure of that.
Aer Lingus will reaccomodate the passengers from SOU, CWL and EXT via nearest gateways in the UK, BRS, NQY and London airports.
I would not be at all surprised to see Stobart pick up SOU and/or CWL, but slots are scarce and to use the Flybe slots you'd need a night stop in the UK or a late start from Dublin, neither of which are very attractive.

Sharklet_321
5th Mar 2020, 15:42
A double daily Dublin service into SOU would be really appreciated

CaptJ
21st Mar 2020, 19:31
A double daily Dublin service into SOU would be really appreciated
Eastern may pick this up after things settle down (if)

Just a spotter
22nd Mar 2020, 16:06
The Irish Foreign Minister, Simon Coveney, speaking on RTÉ radio today (22 Mar 2020) has said EI is to operate freight only flights between China and Ireland to bring in medical supplies and protective equipment for medical staff to help the effort against Covid-19.

It also seems EI and BA are working together to bring Irish and UK citizens home from Peru.

JAS

Just a spotter
22nd Mar 2020, 17:49
If traffic on Dublin - London becomes very light, could EI run ATR's or RJ's into Heathrow as a minimum service level?

JAS

flyerguy
22nd Mar 2020, 18:19
If traffic on Dublin - London becomes very light, could EI run ATR's or RJ's into Heathrow as a minimum service level?

JAS

Loads may be light but you have remember about Cargo. I believe ATRs are unable to operate into LHR due to low speed?

qwertyuiop
22nd Mar 2020, 18:28
Loads may be light but you have remember about Cargo. I believe ATRs are unable to operate into LHR due to low speed?

I drove past Heathrow today having landed at Gatwick. Slow speed is no longer an issue!

EI-A330-300
22nd Mar 2020, 19:23
Most of EIR is grounded next month.

EI are essentially turning into a cargo airline for next while maintaining core Euro/US routes and flying a lot of long haul aircraft to/from China.

racedo
22nd Mar 2020, 22:52
I drove past Heathrow today having landed at Gatwick. Slow speed is no longer an issue!

Drove around M25 and into North London today......................... I have never seen such little traffic and so few people out and about. It was a spot the plane at Heathrow.

Very obvious looking at the sky how little is flying, only time I remember similar was 2010 with Icelandic volcano, that occasion driving up M40 on a Sunny day the only "aircraft" in the air was a couple of gliders.

Just a spotter
31st Aug 2020, 08:11
From The Irish Times, 31st Aug 2020

Aer Lingus may shift transatlantic services from Shannon to the UK as it continues to grapple with Government Covid-19 travel restrictions.

The Irish airline has two Airbus A321 long-range craft based at Shannon, normally used to fly from there to Boston, New York and London Heathrow, but which have been grounded since March.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/aer-lingus-may-move-transatlantic-services-from-shannon-to-the-uk-1.4342317

Cound EI continue to operate a UK-US service once the Brexit transition period completes at the end of the year?

JAS

camperdown9
31st Aug 2020, 09:05
From The Irish Times, 31st Aug 2020

Cound EI continue to operate a UK-US service once the Brexit transition period completes at the end of the year?

JAS

Pass

I don't really understand whats happening with regards to Brexit. Aer Lingus seam to be permitted to operate services from Belfast to Great Britain after the end of the year. (In other words UK domestic services). According to the internet Irish citizens who want to live and work in the UK after the end of the year can do so without a visa or anything. So maybe we are going back to the Common Travel Area days i.e. before the EU.

Before the United Kingdom joined the EU Aer Lingus did operate some services from GB to mainland Europe.

The question I would have is why would they want to start flying EDI etc to the USA now. I mean its not as if British Citizens can travel to the USA easily right now?

Alex

SWBKCB
31st Aug 2020, 09:15
From the look of it Aer Lingus are looking for something to do with 2 A.321LR's from Shannon. They must be pretty confident that they will be operate from the UK to the US or they wouldn't have kicked this off (or they would look to get them on a UK AOC?), but the response of the Americans could be interesting.

By seeking tenders, is this essentially contract flying for the airports approached? So looking at regional airports that had transatlantic services but have lost them/had them scaled back - MAN, BHX, EDI, GLA? Where else - CWL, LGW, STN? Would the 321LR be usable out of LTN, BRS?

caaardiff
31st Aug 2020, 09:20
I can see MAN being the highest contender in order for IAG to compete with VS.

The96er
31st Aug 2020, 09:22
Would EI to US from the UK work from a marketing perspective - I'm not so sure. Perhaps they'll be in BA colours. After all, the BA scope clauses have recently be confined to the bin. Could be BA operated by EI - Just a thought ??.

Jamesair1
31st Aug 2020, 09:56
NCL had UNITED to EWR for a couple of years

SWBKCB
31st Aug 2020, 09:59
And that went well. NCL has more important priorities.

Alteagod
31st Aug 2020, 10:21
The Irish Times article indicates that the airports are bidding for the 2 aircraft NOT for Aer Lingus to set up s base. A subtle note but important as it could be on behalf of other carriers. They did the same with Little Red Virgins or whatever it was called.
As indicated by other posters the marketing could be an issue for EI.

SWBKCB
31st Aug 2020, 10:30
As indicated by other posters the marketing could be an issue for EI.

Wouldn't of thought so, EI is a pretty well known brand and whichever airport goes for it will no doubt be pushing hard. Hadn't thought of it, but would BFS be on the list?

allan1987
31st Aug 2020, 10:42
Wouldn't of thought so, EI is a pretty well known brand and whichever airport goes for it will no doubt be pushing hard. Hadn't thought of it, but would BFS be on the list?

I could see EI being interested since the grant money that is there for long haul flights from BFS.

Blackfriar
31st Aug 2020, 10:49
With regard to nationality of airlines, IAG is "an anglo-Spanish business", Aer Lingus is registered in Ireland. How does anyone decide which airlines can fly by nationality when they've gone global? Virgin is almost 50% Delta (maybe more after recent restructuring) but people would call it British as long as it registered here. All seems pretty pointless unless you need to ban some airlines/countries on safety grounds.

SWBKCB
31st Aug 2020, 11:28
With regard to nationality of airlines, IAG is "an anglo-Spanish business", Aer Lingus is registered in Ireland. How does anyone decide which airlines can fly by nationality when they've gone global? Virgin is almost 50% Delta (maybe more after recent restructuring) but people would call it British as long as it registered here. All seems pretty pointless unless you need to ban some airlines/countries on safety grounds.

Tell that to the Americans."Nationality" will be determined in the licencing agreement between countries/group of countries.

racedo
31st Aug 2020, 12:57
Pass

I don't really understand whats happening with regards to Brexit. Aer Lingus seam to be permitted to operate services from Belfast to Great Britain after the end of the year. (In other words UK domestic services). According to the internet Irish citizens who want to live and work in the UK after the end of the year can do so without a visa or anything. So maybe we are going back to the Common Travel Area days i.e. before the EU.

Common travel area has never changed, it has always been referred to as such. Irish / British citizens wishing to live and work in other respective country have never had a visa or other barrier.

Before the United Kingdom joined the EU Aer Lingus did operate some services from GB to mainland Europe.
The question I would have is why would they want to start flying EDI etc to the USA now. I mean its not as if British Citizens can travel to the USA easily right now?

Aer Lingus was biggest Airline serving Milan / Turin from Manchester before 5th freedom flight ban.

Aer Lingus is IAG so decisions are made as part of overall IAG strategy.

racedo
31st Aug 2020, 13:01

EI failed completely when they started expansion in UK to sun spots etc a number of years ago. The "well known" brand was much touted on here and despite the extensive money spent on London ads it failed miserably.

racedo
31st Aug 2020, 13:06
I could see EI being interested since the grant money that is there for long haul flights from BFS.

Why bother if only impact is to devalue home base less than 2 hours down the road. Adding flights into BFS would be at the expense of load factors in Dublin, unlikely to happen.

In addition what is the USP of Americans flying into BFS rather than Dublin ?

Skipness One Foxtrot
31st Aug 2020, 14:45
It's being rumoured elsewhere that the based Shannon long haul airframes are being touted to UK regional airports in a bidding war. Two based A321NEOS allegedly as they scramble to
replace lost capacity and Aer Lingus struggle with a surfeit of aircraft.

SWBKCB
31st Aug 2020, 15:04
It's being rumoured elsewhere that the based Shannon long haul airframes are being touted to UK regional airports in a bidding war. Two based A321NEOS allegedly as they scramble to
replace lost capacity and Aer Lingus struggle with a surfeit of aircraft.

Discussed in an article from the Irish Times linked at post #283 above.

CabinCrewe
31st Aug 2020, 16:48
.... and if it came to fruition, would last all of one season.

willy wombat
31st Aug 2020, 16:50
So, the likes of MAN, EDI and others allegedly bidding (= offering dosh) for EI to base two A321s to operate transatlantic services. That’s going to give their existing, struggling transatlantic operators a warm and fuzzy feeling.

EI-BUD
31st Aug 2020, 20:08
EI failed completely when they started expansion in UK to sun spots etc a number of years ago. The "well known" brand was much touted on here and despite the extensive money spent on London ads it failed miserably.

Interesting wording. Aer Lingus at the face of it were an ideal brand to fulfill this role. Their cost base and value carrier status gave them a sporting chance of success, however, easyJet set out on a protracted bid to drive the airline out of LGW, and took the threat very seriously adding multiple new routes that EI was launching in an instant.
It was a worthwhile experiment. Knowing when to cut and run is not a failure in my eyes, it's the right thing to do.

SWBKCB
31st Aug 2020, 20:11
And who said LGW failed because of the "brand"??

racedo
31st Aug 2020, 20:31
Interesting wording. Aer Lingus at the face of it were an ideal brand to fulfill this role. Their cost base and value carrier status gave them a sporting chance of success, however, easyJet set out on a protracted bid to drive the airline out of LGW, and took the threat very seriously adding multiple new routes that EI was launching in an instant.
It was a worthwhile experiment. Knowing when to cut and run is not a failure in my eyes, it's the right thing to do.

It wasn't the right thing to do. Anyone with aviation experience would tell you that trying to launch in someone's strongest / highest earning base where you have zero brand recognition and without a unique USP is doomed to failure.

What was Aer Lingus's offering ? Cheaper than U2 ? More flights ? More options ? in short it was not able to offer something that was not already been covered by someone else. A me too offering was never going to be able to compete unless you had a billion to throw at it and take 3 years to get there.

It was a colossal waste of money because aside from Ex Pats heading back to Ireland the reality is Aer Lingus has got zero brand recognition in London. It serves its core market well, trying to be something, that it clearly is not, was always a lost cause.

racedo
31st Aug 2020, 20:40
And who said LGW failed because of the "brand"??

Don't confuse a brand and a product.

Aer Lingus had / has little brand recongition in UK outside of Ex-Pats, ask 100 people on the street in London to name an Airline and BA / Easyjet / Ryanair would be the names that make up have made up 90% of the answers then. Now probably add in Wizzair but unless you got 10-15% you are always in a lose lose situation.

Sure lots of airlines make money flying from UK but crucially they stick with core proposition and don't try and make it up as they go along, this was clearly the case with EI UK operation. They tried to be something they were not in a sector of the market they had not the resources to compete.

SWBKCB
31st Aug 2020, 21:04
Aer Lingus had / has little brand recongition in UK outside of Ex-Pats

I think Aer Lingus are pretty well known - however, what they are offering is to set up a trans-atlantic operation from a regional airport. There will be lots of local buy-in - "Manchester TONY" anybody?

MARK 101
31st Aug 2020, 21:12
So, the likes of MAN, EDI and others allegedly bidding (= offering dosh) for EI to base two A321s to operate transatlantic services. That’s going to give their existing, struggling transatlantic operators a warm and fuzzy feeling.
Unless the others in the running include somewhere like BHX where nobody else is operating. Large Irish community and desperate for transatlantic ,it could be an outside bet

Skipness One Foxtrot
31st Aug 2020, 21:35
Didn't Aer Lingus operate an A330 out of MAN for a brief period?

racedo
31st Aug 2020, 22:05
Unless the others in the running include somewhere like BHX where nobody else is operating. Large Irish community and desperate for transatlantic ,it could be an outside bet

The idea that people would choose to fly EI because they Irish and need to go the US is not something I would put a $100 million aircraft into BHX on that hope. This idea doesn't work for BA. When you can hop on a flight to Dub and pre clear then what does direct give you if you lose 3 hours in clearing immigration.

Buster the Bear
31st Aug 2020, 22:14
Hold on, FCO advice has not changed on flying to America and there is a hope that corridor from the UK to New York 'might' be established. As an Englishman. I currently would not gain entry into the USA. With the winter approaching and the cold weather loves Covid, what airport in their right mind would pay for a potentially non existent service?

31st Aug 2020, 23:07
I’d take some of the stories with a pinch of salt for now. There’s an element of making threats to get Covid compensation from the Irish government about a number of the stories coming out of EI recently.

brian_dromey
1st Sep 2020, 07:09
Didn't Aer Lingus operate an A330 out of MAN for a brief period?
They leased an A330 to Novair for 3 winters in the last recession. Is that what you are thinking of? Other than the occasional A330 substitute for one-off events I don’t think EI have ever had a long-haul operation at MAN. There was rumours of A330s at LGW when they had the base there. But nothing came of that.

Curious Pax
1st Sep 2020, 07:59
They leased an A330 to Novair for 3 winters in the last recession. Is that what you are thinking of? Other than the occasional A330 substitute for one-off events I don’t think EI have ever had a long-haul operation at MAN. There was rumours of A330s at LGW when they had the base there. But nothing came of that.

I’m sure someone will have the precise details to hand, but they did operate 330s to Newark from MAN for a short period in the 90s, possibly via Dublin.

MAN777
1st Sep 2020, 08:43
Curious Pax
Yes you are correct Are Lingus did operate some A330 services to the US (via Ireland).Mid 90s ??

Una Due Tfc
1st Sep 2020, 09:13
Correct, mid 90s an A330 operated MAN-SNN-USA, around the same time the MD-11 operated BFS-SNN-JFK.

Cloud1
1st Sep 2020, 22:05
My money on the EI A321N is Manchester. BA had apparently been sniffing out possible LH routes pre-Covid so maybe this is a good way of getting IAG in to the MAN-West coast market. Most likely destinations would be Boston, NY and Chicago I assume to go up against some of the VS destinations.

tartan 201
2nd Sep 2020, 08:15
I’d take some of the stories with a pinch of salt for now. There’s an element of making threats to get Covid compensation from the Irish government about a number of the stories coming out of EI recently.

"Clare’s Fine Gael TD says Aer Lingus WILL receive government support that will see it continue to fly its transatlantic routes from Shannon Airport."

Aer Lingus Will Get Support To Keep Running Transatlantic Services - Carey - Clare FM (http://www.clare.fm/news/aer-lingus-will-get-support-keep-running-transatlantic-services-carey/)

sinbad73
2nd Sep 2020, 18:52
My money on the EI A321N is Manchester. BA had apparently been sniffing out possible LH routes pre-Covid so maybe this is a good way of getting IAG in to the MAN-West coast market. Most likely destinations would be Boston, NY and Chicago I assume to go up against some of the VS destinations.

East coast market surely?

allan1987
3rd Sep 2020, 19:48
BFS is in the bidding for the Aer Lingus A321neos for flights to the US

https://belfastmedia.com/exclusive-as-aer-lingus-shifts-transatlantic-services-from-shannon-aldergrove-puts-its-hat-in-the-ring

If Aer Lingus did chose BFS they would be able to get the £2.3m yearly subsidy for long haul flights to US from BFS

SWBKCB
3rd Sep 2020, 20:30
If Aer Lingus did chose BFS they would be able to get the £2.3m yearly subsidy for long haul flights to US from BFS

Is it a subsidy, or no APD?

Fly757X
3rd Sep 2020, 20:35
Is it a subsidy, or no APD?

A subsidy to offset APD as far as I’m aware.

racedo
3rd Sep 2020, 21:43
BFS is in the bidding for the Aer Lingus A321neos for flights to the US

https://belfastmedia.com/exclusive-as-aer-lingus-shifts-transatlantic-services-from-shannon-aldergrove-puts-its-hat-in-the-ring

Issues here as already outlined................... you don't want Dublin pax going to Belfast for a "cheaper" fare, there is no clearance facilities in BFS hence if in North Down you can drive to BFS and fly to NYC BUT once you get there you spend 2 hrs queueing to be allowed in V driving to Dublin, landing in NYC as a domestic flight.

Economics / practicalities do not make sense.

SWBKCB
4th Sep 2020, 05:48
Where does this two hour figure come from - is it peak time, average? and who knows what it will be like while aviation recovers?

If Aer Lingus can get good money to fly a/c which will otherwise be idle, I would imagine they'll look at anything.

Just a spotter
19th Sep 2020, 12:44
EI reversing some of the recent pay and roster cuts;

From RTÉ, 19th Sept 2020Aer Lingus is to restore some of the pay cuts imposed on staff due to the Covid-19 pandemic - but the cuts will be restored more slowly for staff based in Shannon.

In an update for employees, the airline said that on the assumption that the Government would align with the European Commission's free movement proposal for air travel in October, it was appropriate to give clarity to staff who have had their pay and hours cut by up to 70% in recent months.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0919/1166159-aer-lingus/

JAS

southside bobby
1st Nov 2020, 08:43
"Aer Lingus UK" has entered high level discussions with senior British Government officials about operating direct services from the UK to the US according to Irish reporting.

ATNotts
1st Nov 2020, 13:31
"Aer Lingus UK" has entered high level discussions with senior British Government officials about operating direct services from the UK to the US according to Irish reporting.

Aer Lingus UK? That would be British Airways surely??:=

JSCL
1st Nov 2020, 13:52
Aer Lingus UK? That would be British Airways surely??:=
On one hand I think it makes so little sense in IAGs strategy. But on the other, having smaller cheaper aircraft flying TATL might be the winner in the near term.

SWBKCB
1st Nov 2020, 13:57
Presumably Aer Lingus would need to be named in any seperate UK-US air agreement post-Brexit?

ATNotts
1st Nov 2020, 14:00
On one hand I think it makes so little sense in IAGs strategy. But on the other, having smaller cheaper aircraft flying TATL might be the winner in the near term.

Indeed, and on T&Cs probably much less generous than BA. if these services were to operate from LHR, LGW or MAN then BALPA and the cabin crew unions may well have something to say about it.

Presumably Aer Lingus would need to be named in any seperate UK-US air agreement post-Brexit?

Good point; and is such a new agreement in place, or is that another post-Brexit disaster waiting in the wings to happen.

BHX5DME
1st Nov 2020, 14:19
Likely to be MAN and/or EDI.

Skipness One Foxtrot
1st Nov 2020, 19:31
Indeed, and on T&Cs probably much less generous than BA. if these services were to operate from LHR, LGW or MAN then BALPA and the cabin crew unions may well have something to say about it.
Good point; and is such a new agreement in place, or is that another post-Brexit disaster waiting in the wings to happen.
BALPA? BA just ripped up the old contracts and put everyone into one fleet based on Mixed Fleet. They're paid a benchmarked market rate, the generous old contracts are gone.

As for operating UK-US, fair play, but they'll be openinf new routes with zero market share which given where are is brave. I bet the airports will through money at them though, any port in a storm. I suspect United might walk away from GLA, but the US carriers are way more likely to fight it out at EDI.

inOban
1st Nov 2020, 19:45
They could replace AA out of Edinburgh

The96er
1st Nov 2020, 19:51
I’m hearing behind the scenes that it is MAN that is the primary focus. One would be forgiven for thinking that IAG turning the screw on VS is a high consideration.

CabinCrewe
1st Nov 2020, 20:54
I’m hearing behind the scenes that it is MAN that is the primary focus.
Yes, far more likely. Will be short lived wherever they attempt.

globetrotter79
1st Nov 2020, 21:31
MAN-SNN-NYC perhaps?.....now, where have I heard that one before?!

willy wombat
1st Nov 2020, 21:31
Linking two airports at neither of which you have a hub. Really?

42psi
1st Nov 2020, 22:23
Correct, mid 90s an A330 operated MAN-SNN-USA, around the same time the MD-11 operated BFS-SNN-JFK.

It was pretty successful, but only operated for winter season. Very popular at the time with the front of house pax.

Pax ex Man were able to pre clear US immigration during the SNN transit stop. Again this proved very popular.

There was no point trying to continue into the summer season as all the seat capacity was taken ex Ireland.

At the time SNN were responsible for the costs of that aircraft and were looking for a way to increase utilisation and revenue when the aircraft would otherwise sit idle.

At the time Aer Lingus already had a significant 5th freedom operation through Man.

whitelighter
2nd Nov 2020, 08:10
Why would they need to go via SNN?
lingus have got A321XLR on order - easy to go UK>US direct cheaply from marginal airports.

also, why assume mainland UK. Last I checked Belfast is in the union and might make sense for Lingus to have an operation there, especially if the boarder issue means passengers from NI can no longer easily travel south to get a flight from DUB

Alteagod
2nd Nov 2020, 08:40
I understand that indeed talks have been had with BFS but I would presume in the current climate all airports are talking to everyone about opportunities for new routes.

It should be noted that when EI did operate the MD from BFS by a country mile most passengers only went as far as SNN for weekend breaks etc. The aircraft though was crammed with pallets of freight. Regularly pax bags bulk loaded to accommodate the cargo.