PDA

View Full Version : Yet another 737 over-run incident. this time in the Desert

Centaurus
25th Sep 2017, 12:45
Incident: Solitaire B733 at Aqaba on Sep 17th 2017, runway excursion on landing (http://avherald.com/h?article=4ae7b1c1&opt=0)

AbsoluteFokker
27th Sep 2017, 14:46
So where is the relevance to this forum?

MagnumPI
27th Sep 2017, 23:03

Are you seriously saying that even a GA pilot couldn't learn something from this?

Centaurus, again, keep posting these investigations and accounts.

On topic, is it highly irregular for RPT ops to land with a 10kt tailwind? I would have thought so but I'm not appropriately qualified so don't know. Did the crew really rationalise this on the basis that they would be saving the company money?

Jbrownie
28th Sep 2017, 03:47
I always learn something from Centaurus posts

Goat Whisperer
28th Sep 2017, 04:59
On topic, is it highly irregular for RPT ops to land with a 10kt tailwind?

Nope, some 737NGs are certified to 15kt. Comes in handy when you're assured on the only ILS that "tailwind 5 clear to land" but it's consistently 10-12. And conditions aren't great for the other end. I'm looking at you, Phuket.

It's wise to check autobrake landing distance of course. And use f40.

Di_Vosh
28th Sep 2017, 07:03
On topic, is it highly irregular for RPT ops to land with a 10kt tailwind?

No. Up to 10knots is okay. Regional airlines do it all the time.

DIVOSH!

Centaurus
28th Sep 2017, 14:17

Fair enough question because I have pondered this myself. In Australia we are fortunate the flight safety record is excellent. Very few prangs thank goodness. Good weather, generally benign terrain, excellent ATC, and most importantly a pragmatic culture among pilots - none of this Loss of Face ethnic culture that is a characteristic of so many other parts of the aviation world and that has led to serious accidents.

There are numerous other Pprune forums available to Australian Pprune readers; but not everyone has the time or inclination to trawl through overseas forums looking for flight safety lessons to be learned. Most are too busy trying to earn a crust in Australian aviation. They also have a life:ok: I can understand that.

But among those forums are reports of overseas incidents and accidents that should be of flight safety interest to every professional pilot - general aviation and airline. We haven't had a major accident in Australia in a jet transport for years and it is all too easy for complacency to set in.

I occasionally have spare time on my hands, and if I see an overseas investigation report which, from past personal experience, I judge to be useful to Australian aircrews, then I don't see the problem if I place the appropriate link on an OZ Pprune forum? Fortunately our local Moderator has been kind to me in this respect. Some readers may find these reports of interest while others don't. But which of the two Oz Pprunes to use? Toss a coin and it comes down to General Aviation & Questions. If you have a better solution let me know.

cooperplace
28th Sep 2017, 14:24
Hi Centaurus, I always learn something from your threads, so thanks and keep them coming.

rjtjrt
29th Sep 2017, 01:08
Centaurus
Ignore the nitpicking.
Please keep up the flow of posts and threads you start.
They are an oasis of valuable/sensible posts/threads in an ocean of lesser noise in PPRUNE.

Chronic Snoozer
29th Sep 2017, 04:42
relevance to this forum?
We learn by studying the mistakes of others. What mistakes were made in this incident?

Thanks Centaurus.