PDA

View Full Version : Career transition advice: from FJ to the airlines

banterbus
24th Sep 2017, 20:06
Hi,

I was wondering whether or not there were any ex-FJ mates reading this who have transitioned to the airline world and wouldn't mind lending me a few moments of their time.

I have an option to leave in the relatively near future, and want to try and make an as informed decision as possible. I have a lot of friends in the airlines, but none whom are recent ex FJ.

I have always wanted to fly for the airlines, it's now all about when to make the transition, and I'm interested to hear how people have found the difference between the excitement of FJ flying vs their new careers.

My main reasons for my desire to leave is the long term financial benefits, and I don't really want to live in the designated areas afforded me in my current career! :=

Thanks for your time in advance.

Jurow
25th Sep 2017, 07:54
Hey,

I'm sorry i can't help you with your interrogation but can you tell me what FJ stands for ?
Thank you

Council Van
25th Sep 2017, 07:59
Fast Jet I would have thought.

Monarch Man
25th Sep 2017, 11:16
There have been plenty over the years who have transitioned from FJ land into a multicrew environment, it all from my experience depends on your attitude and willingness to accept a completely different way of doing things.
The guys I know who adapted where the fellas who could see the bigger picture and who understood the difference between being mission orientated and being commercially orientated.
If I could give one salient piece of advice, understand that being a good FJ pilot and squadron mate is a different skill and mindset to being in a commercial multipilot operation. As my TR instructor said to me when I left the mob many moons ago "2 ears and one gobb shag...2 ears and one gobb"
Goodluck...its fun to stand up to take a pee!

overstress
25th Sep 2017, 17:58
Rule 1. Seniority is everything in the airlines.
Rule 2. See rule 1.

Having said that, and assuming you have got the 'bunting your brains out' totally out of your system, as zero/zero says, one thing to consider is the fact you will not be posted somewhere new and exciting every three years.

A good friend of mine, ex-RAF but not FJ, found himself suffering from depression and lost his licence for a while. Talking to his AME and the CAA Doc, it transpires that it is not uncommon for ex-mil pilots to suffer depression at some point down the line when they realise that they are possibly stuck in their seat/role/type for some time to come.

One thing I regret is not taking more photos/videos when I was on FJs, but that was the era before GoPro etc!

The flying skills you have now will make you a smooth handler, but you will find something like the A320 de-skilling, but a manually flown go-around in a pitch-power couple type (747, 737) quite a handful.

You can get a great deal of satisfaction from taking your aircraft, as a crew, thousands of nm, parking on the dot on schedule and not spilling the g & t's. But it's not like pulling 'g' around the Machynlleth loop.

Johnny F@rt Pants
25th Sep 2017, 19:12
Rule 1. Seniority is everything in the airlines.

Unless you join an airline that doesn't use seniority, but uses a merit based system for career progression.

FlipFlapFlop
25th Sep 2017, 19:43
Or one desperate for pilots at the moment. Time to command is then lightning quick but expect a step back to right when you are sick of it and need to work for an ethical employer.

parabellum
26th Sep 2017, 04:30
Merit based systems are highly corruptible which is why seniority tends to rule.

From my experience the FJ pilots found it hard to operate as a two man crew and had to train themselves out of trying to do everything, rather than calling for configuration changes on the MCP/FMS etc. when they were the flying pilot, once they had done that they usually shone. C130 pilots transitioned over night!

JliderPilot
26th Sep 2017, 09:54
I know many FJ and multi guys that have moved onto the airlines and have done well. One of the biggest differences i found is the rostering and unionisation. At first it seems weird that most crews insist on taking all the breaks and rest they are entitled to, especially when flights are delayed or could be cancelled all together.

I guess we, as military types would all just crack on and work until the job was done. But as you do more time within the civilian company you begin to see the legality of it all and that the other crew members may not share our enthusiasm shall we say.

Also, it’s better to be a little PC as ‘banter’ may be taken the wrong way as you are now working with a full spectrum of personalities. Oh and the fare paying public.

It is different outside, takes some adjusting to. Still glad I made the switch though.

Skornogr4phy
26th Sep 2017, 11:06
I guess in the military, if you don't get on with the mission people could die. In the civilian world getting on with the "mission" is the more dangerous option than just sitting on the ground.

Dan Winterland
26th Sep 2017, 13:04
Some employers actively recruit from the military. Others won't touch guys without airline experience. As ex FJ, you will find a few more doors closed. My employer doesn't have those issues. PM me if you like.

Junta Leader
26th Sep 2017, 13:43
Made the jump a few years ago. Happy Days; best decision I ever made. Happy to PM.

banterbus
26th Sep 2017, 23:49
Hi again,

Firstly thanks for the responses, greatly appreciated! I'm under no illusion with respect to not expect anyone outside the mob to care about any qualifications I may have on my aircraft type. I guess I am one that thinks of it as if the mission has changed, and that the pay off is hopefully a slight increase in work-life balance (again, I'm acutely aware that it won't be completely sociable!).

I welcome more responses should anyone else read this; I'll certainly PM those that have offered.

bringbackthe80s
27th Sep 2017, 03:45
Don't see the problem, has been done for many decades with much success.
In fact I would expect someone with a passion for flying to jump on the other side instead of sitting at a desk for the next 20 years. Just be ready to start from (almost) scratch these days, not really important where you come from when you join an airline. When I used to fly this when we used to do that, gets old very quickly.

banterbus
28th Sep 2017, 14:54
No I'm not, good tip! I'll look into that, thanks!