PDA

View Full Version : PPL in Hertfordshire

Don D Cake
19th Jan 2001, 17:48
I live in St Albans, Hertfordshire and I want to embark on the road to a PPL this year, finances permitting.

Any recommendations for schools in this area?

Is it risky paying for too many lessons up front?

Any recommendations for books I can read while I'm saving my pennies?

Thanks for any info.

Don

The Fonz
22nd Jan 2001, 02:18
The closest airfield to you is Elstree, it is a thriving air strip which has a number of schools which offer PPL training. My recommendation would be Firecrest, see www.firecrestaviation.com. (http://www.firecrestaviation.com.) They are a small but very experienced flying club with friendly helpful staff and good prices for the London/SE area. They do various financial schemes for PPLs depending on how much time you can devote to flying per week/month. Check them out!

Lawyerboy
22nd Jan 2001, 17:10
Depends whether you want a busy, licensed (and expensive) airfield like Elstree or a slightly more relaxed, cheaper, private airfield like the one wot I fly from.

I fly with PSF from High Cross, just north of Ware. It's unlicensed, so I have to touch and go at Stapleford to start logging time, but it's cheaper than Elstree (£96 per hour - and yes I know you can fly for cheaper than that, but not necessarily in Herts), and the instructors (all two of them) instruct 'cos they like it, not to build up hours. The a/c are Traumahawks.

Having to touch and go at Stapleford isn't the disadvantage I at first thought it might be - I get to fly cross country every flight I make, and I actually get 1.5 hours flying time each lesson, yet only pay for one hour. The real downside is that I only log 50 mins, but it's going to take me several hundred hours to get my PPL so it doesn't make a great deal of difference to me :) It's also a grass field, so in winter it does get a bit soggy as well.

Worth considering, though. If you want more info call Alan on 07774 721 277.

monkeyboy
23rd Jan 2001, 14:05
Don D Cake, I fly with Eagle Flight Training up at Luton Airport. A daunting prospect at first because you're mixing with the big boys in their shiny Easyjets, Monarchs, Britannias and Airtours but once you gain confidence they act as a serious motivation pusher to get you through your PPL and further if desired. Like Lawyerboy, I too have to fly to Cambridge to do any circuit work so the hours are slightly higher than the norm but you get excellent Nav practice in en route. The CFI, Shaun, can be contacted on 01582 720007.

Good luck!

Valiant
23rd Jan 2001, 16:59
Don D

I've flown with both Firecrest and Eagle Flight suggested above. Of the two my personal preference would be Firecrest. Amongst other things, although those 737s, bizjets etc may be motiviating, depending on the time of day you fly it can also get expensive sitting at the hold for 20 mins waiting for them to go.

Also not far from you are Panshanger over at Welwyn and theres 4 or 5 clubs up at Cranfield. I've not flown from either of those 2 places, but they may be worth a look.

TPuk
23rd Jan 2001, 18:17
Don,

Panshangar (Welwyn) has a long-standing excellent reputation. I have a friend who has been training there for some time now, and he loves it.

I'll also be joining myself soon, after I have completed my final hours and skills test on my PPL.

Maybe see you there!

TPuk

Don D Cake
23rd Jan 2001, 21:04
Thanks for all the replies. Lots of good reports. Decisions, decisions....

ChampagneSupernova
23rd Jan 2001, 21:29
I recently passed my PPL in 48hrs with Henlow Flying Club which is based on the RAF site in Henlow Beds. Its between Hitchin and Biggleswade on the A1M.
The club is very very good, and the training is acceptional.
Since achieving my PPL, the guys at RAF Henlow inspired me and I'm now studying for my ATPL!
The course costs around £4400 all in, and I mean all in. There is no bulls@"t hidden charges and the course costs include all study materials (PPL Package) etc etc.
Give them a call on 01462 851936 and ask for Simon or Joe, say KK said Hi from the USA!
Above all enjoy it and the best of luck!

------------------
Do you Believe??

TPuk
24th Jan 2001, 16:01
Champange,

What were you flying at Henlow? I have done some gliding from there and saw a couple of pretty knackered looking 150/152's!

And was the training exceptional, or acceptable? :)

Loony_Pilot
25th Jan 2001, 07:20
I've flown out of Panshanger plenty of times and found the club to be a warm and friendly environment, the instructors are very good and the club is reasonably competitive on price as well.

Best thing to do is visit a few and see which one you prefer.

Loony_Pilot
25th Jan 2001, 07:26
sorry... forgot to add, the website for Panshangar is www.magson.co.uk (http://www.magson.co.uk) (or.com)

correct me if I'm wrong folks!!!

ChampagneSupernova
28th Jan 2001, 04:06
Tpuk,
I meant exceptional, soz. The 150's and 152's are ok and more than adequate, but as experienced pilots will tell you, its the quality of the training that counts and at the PPL school at RAF Henlow its second to none!

------------------
Do you Believe??

icemaiden
28th Jan 2001, 08:16
You may also want to have a look at the London school of flying which is also based in Elstree aerodrome - it is run by cabair which has both pro's (well recognised and very good training) and con's (it is slightly more expensive than the alternative).

If you are interested in the PPL, you would be very well advised to check out your medical ( a class II is required)and also to have a trial flight which most schools offer. For the main training you can either pay by hour for tuition or for a package (but consider when doing this whether insurance and other extras are included).

Good luck!!! ;)

Alvin
28th Jan 2001, 12:35
I flew with Firecrest a long time ago at Elstree, and on reflection they were mediocre but very friendly, you get what you pay for. Whether that is different now, I couldn't say. But having lived just down the road from Elstree and popping by and having a look around occasionally I saw, in the passed, a number of their aircraft in the hanger with nosewheel collapses and other damages, something fairly typical of 152/172. But it doesn't matter what you fly, just how well you fly it. I'm not pointing any fingers or making accusations, just giving the facts.
Fly safe
Alvin

Luke SkyToddler
28th Jan 2001, 16:04
Mate ... there are very very few honest schools that haven't had a bent aircraft or two, it's just some hide them better than others! Don't go and judge a school like that or point fingers based on what you've seen in hangars, you'll be out of flying schools very quickly indeed! It is an unfortunate side effect of running a business teaching people how to fly, that aircraft are gonna have the odd bent nosewheel no matter how hot the standards of tuition and/or maintenance are. Students do the bizarrest things, even (especially?) the ones that you think are hot pilots ... trust me on this :) Let he who is without a hard landing, cast the first stone ...

Alvin
28th Jan 2001, 16:38
Oh I totally agree, but like I said, not pointing any fingers or making accusations, just telling it how it is, these are all things I was interested in when selecting schools.
Safe flying
Alvin

STONKERS
29th Jan 2001, 00:54
If you are going to Elstree try Flyteam Aviation, they are located at the base of the twr, good aircraft, excellent owner and cheapest flying at Elstree.

A and C
30th Jan 2001, 12:10
You may note that the biggest outfit in the area has only one grudging recomendation , take the hint and dont go to the place with lots of gold bars and potted plants.