PDA

View Full Version : PPL 270km xcty requirement

justmaybe
21st Sep 2017, 14:02
Part FCL 210 refers.
If for tech or wx reasons the flight is delayed overnight at place of first ldg, can the flight continue next day to second a/f and still be considered as 'qualifying'?

Parson
21st Sep 2017, 14:08
When I did my CPL QXC (300 nm) I had a real weather diversion. I flew over 300nm in the air but, if you plotted a straight line on a map between the 3 airfields I ended up using, it was a fair bit less than 300nm. In my log book, I added a note explaining my route and the CAA didn't query. I suspect if you do the same, you will be fine - provided you have valid reason beyond your control.

Whopity
21st Sep 2017, 20:35
The requirement is to complete a flight, singular, not a series of flights:with at least 1 cross-country flight of at least 270 km (150 NM), during which full stop landings at 2 aerodromes different from the aerodrome of departure shall be made. Some years ago the CAA deemed that to meet the requirement, the flight should be conducted within one day, a period of 24 hours. In the event of weather or unserviceability, so long as all the sections of the flight were completed within 24 hours it was considered to be a single flight.
The term "qualifier" referred to the PPL cross country that was conducted post skill test and was not part of the PPL training. JAR-FCL changed all that and there has not been a QXC since 1999. As it is now a training item the ATO/RF should determine if it meets the criteria.

BigEndBob
21st Sep 2017, 22:03
"The term "qualifier" referred to the PPL cross country that was conducted post skill test and was not part of the PPL training."

Seems an odd sentence.
QXC were done pre skill test, I did two in 1979 because they were only valid back then for six months for licence application, the first became invalid.

And later it became, NFT, QXC then GFT.

justmaybe
21st Sep 2017, 22:38
I am obliged for contribution of Whopity, but am not convinced by either the semantic or lexical syntax;'Flight' and 'Landings'are clearly mutually exclusive,and in the absence on guidance as to how long an aircraft must remain on the ground fuels and goes towards an unnecessary confusion which is the stock in trade of Part FCL. I tend to take the (as ever) sage view of Whopity that the ATO/RF apply commonsense and probably the 24hr window (in the circumstances described) can easily be supported.

Whopity
21st Sep 2017, 23:46
The Part FCL requirement is taken directly from ICAO Annex 1:
2.3.1.3.2 The applicant shall have completed in aeroplanes
not less than 10 hours of solo flight time under the supervision
of an authorized flight instructor, including 5 hours of solo
cross-country flight time with at least one cross-country flight
totalling not less than 270 km (150 NM) in the course of which
full-stop landings at two different aerodromes shall be made.

justmaybe
22nd Sep 2017, 07:46
Thanks whopity - perfect.