PDA

View Full Version : Stroke & Pax Flying. Why not ?

ooizcalling
16th Jul 2002, 14:13
The wife of a colleague has had a mild stroke. The obvious affects are some paralasis of L/H side of face, No strength in one arm, and difficulty coordinating actions like feeding one self. They are in Europe on a non aviation contract and were planning to fly back to the states for summer holidays. The doctor says "No Flying for at least a few months". Why ?

What is it that makes it such a 'No No' ? What is the problem with flying as a pax when recovering from this condition ?:confused:

DX Wombat
16th Jul 2002, 14:51
I think you will find that it is all to do with the lower cabin pressure, weakened blood vessel and probable hypertension. The effect of the hypertension will be increased in the lower cabin pressure effectively increasing the pressure within the blood vessel thus increasing the risk of rupture and further brain damage. Better to wait until the prvious weak spot has had time to heal fully - I think you will agree. There may well be other reasons too but it would be better to talk this over properly with a doctor.

QDMQDMQDM
17th Jul 2002, 12:36
I can't think of any reason not to fly as a passenger after a stroke. The cabin pressure / blood pressure story doesn't hold up.

QDM