PDA

View Full Version : Qatar Airways - Impartial View

A300Man
16th Jul 2002, 13:28
Dear All,

At the risk of being "shot down" by my fellow postees (?) once again, I would just like to mention a couple of points regarding QR, which may be of interest to some of you:-

1) The latest Airbus A330-200 to join the fleet, A7-ACB, will be involved in the flying display at Farnborough this year, prior to delivery to Doha. The display will be flown by Airbus Industrie pilots. The A319CJ may also join the A330 on static display for a couple of days. Those of you interested in the airline - and I know there are many - and who have access to Farnborough, may wish to go along and get a "feel" for the company. Then you can form your own opinions.

2) "Airways" - the aviation industry monthly magazine, shall be running an extensive article on Qatar Airways next month. The article will cover all aspects of the airline's birth, growth and service. Available from 8th August 2002 in the UK.

Once again, have a read and form your own opinions. In anticipation that this posting from me will provoke some sort of response from the QR bashers, why not let everyone have a read and then decide for themselves what the Company is like.

All the best

MTQatar
16th Jul 2002, 18:37
A300Man please refer to my reply to your other post.

In anticipation that this posting from me will provoke some sort of response from the QR bashers,

Its only a matter of time before they pop in to say hello ;)

why not let everyone have a read and then decide for themselves what the Company is like.

I am wondering, will the article talk about employment in Qatar Airways? I thought the upcoming article will only be a general article about the airline like the many others "Airways" publishes

:confused:

Regards,
MTQatar

Lodestar
16th Jul 2002, 22:28
Anyway,

I will be buying the " airways " for that article...

Thanks for the info

BahrainLad
17th Jul 2002, 07:18
...sorry, but a shiny new aircraft and an obsequious article do not a decent airline make.

Ever read the AirlinerWorld article on GF?

"We're going to be profitable by 199x"

"We haven't ruled out going back to NYC"

"We are going to refurbish all the fleet"

etcetera, etcetera.

If you want 'Media Interest in Qatar Airways', how about:

1. CEO driving BMW accross the DOH ramp in violation of ramp operations rules.

2. CEO 'borrowing' tugs and other equipment from other airlines so that QR can get on time departures

3. Intimidation of local GSA's and airline representatives (particularly Far Eastern competitors).

I'm sorry you two, but I know you believe the sun shines out of QR and AAB's collective backsides, but there are some things seriously wrong with the way the airline is run.

Tom Cruise
17th Jul 2002, 14:17
and yet were doing better than GF ...............Hmmn...........interesting

A300Man
17th Jul 2002, 15:56
Thanks for your comments, Bahrain Lad. I agree with the BMW comments. He has cut me up on the ramp several times too.

Yes, I did see the AW article on GF. I agree too that it was bull****. As those close to the carriers concerned, we know the truth.

But, I never suggested that the Airways article was going to be glossy and all that.

For your info., I do not at all think that the sun shines out of AAB's backside. Refer my previous postings.

BahrainLad
18th Jul 2002, 10:27
Cruise....you are obviously reasoning that I'm in some way connected with GF due to the 'handle'. Wrong. GF have their own problems.

However, this thread is not about GF, but about QR. If you want to start a thread about GF's problems, feel free to do so. In fact, there are already a couple on R&N about GF072.

You could argue that QR are looking exactly like GF 20 years ago....lots of shiny new aircraft, good service, lots of media hype...the question will be can they do an EK, or will they do a GF??

On this forum, there are two who will say 'YES! They will be like EK in 10 years, with A380s and a massive network'. These people do not work for QR, and as was highlighted on another thread could just be bored 13 year olds in DOH (which I suspect is quite close to the truth). They seem to think it is their duty to faithfully publish every piece of sanitised 'isn't QR wonderful' news here.

Then, you have the people who either have worked for QR, or who have worked with them, and think differently about the company. It's not just disgruntled staff - there are many people who have had detailed knowledge of the goings-on inside the company who have never worked there. They've worked on the DOH ramp with other carriers, or operated to airports QR fly to, and spoken to flightcrew in a bar etc. etc. Aviation is a small industry - there are many ways to be involved in an airline without working for them!

From what I have seen, there are many more people anti-Qatar than pro-Qatar. It would be naive to assume that they are all disgruntled staff.

MTQatar
18th Jul 2002, 15:28
However, this thread is not about GF, but about QR. If you want to start a thread about GF's problems, feel free to do so. In fact, there are already a couple on R&N about GF072

BahrainLad, sorry but this thread also isn't about how bad the management is but rather it is just a news thread. So if you want to discuss the problems related with QR please feel free to start a thread over there.

On this forum, there are two who will say 'YES! They will be like EK in 10 years, with A380s and a massive network'. These people do not work for QR,

BahrainLad I have never ever said that what you just said. In fact if you have as much info about QR as you claim you will know that this is not in there business plan. Growth of the airline will be frozen at about 2005, and in 2007 a second phase of more slower growth than what is experienced today will be started.

Oh and I don't work for QR, but A300Man was closely invlolved in the development of Doha International Airport I believe. He also knows quite a lot of people in QR and so do I.

and spoken to flightcrew in a bar etc. etc.

So are you saying that flightcrew will say one thing to emlpoyees of other companies and say something else to people like me?

They seem to think it is their duty to faithfully publish every piece of sanitised 'isn't QR wonderful' news here.

BahrainLad, do a quick search for our posts, or at least A300Man's posts and you'll see that it it is "isn't QR wonderful". Also even if we keep making posts with a "Isn't QR wonderful" tone, which we don't aren't we entitled to our opinions?

The World is isn't black and white. You can't say this company is good this company is bad. The situation is much more complicated than that. Also doesn't what Al-Jazeera's slogan apply here "The opinion and the other opinion" aren't prospective employees entitled to here the two sides of the story and make a decision for themselves.

From what I have seen, there are many more people anti-Qatar than pro-Qatar. It would be naive to assume that they are all disgruntled staff.

If you read my previous posts you'll see that I agree that QR's management has made many mistakes in the past. Some people have been fired for no good reason. But many more have been fired for good reasons which they deserve and some of these people are the most vocal bashers of QR here on the forums. Many of the things they say on these forums are just lies. Again I say if you are as well connected to QR as you claim you would of worked this out already.

Regards,
MTQ

BahrainLad
19th Jul 2002, 06:15
Obviously I'm in favour of differing opinions, however, there are certain members who are in favour of Qatar who do not respect the opinions of those who are not.

There are countless examples of people airing very valid grievances about the way the airline is run, and then MTQatar especially pops up and says, it's not true, they're liars (see his last post!) and QR is in fact doing this, this, this and this based on the latest press release!

Also, please don't accuse me of hijacking threads. This is a discussion forum, for, funnily enough, discussions. There are countless threads about Qatar that turn into a propaganda system full of press releases.

With regards to information you recieve, I would take into consideration your last name. In this part of the world, people will use caution whatever position you are in.

A300Man
19th Jul 2002, 08:04
Dear Bahrain Lad,

I REALLY do appreciate the frustration that you are exuding just now, and I guess that to the casual observer, latter comments from MT , myself - and indeed others - have been somewhat "pro" Qatar Airways.

In my case, the reasons for my knowledge of the airline are exactly those described by MT in his last post. As a consequence of my job, I did come ito contact with a lot of people from QR. Indeed, Doha is not a big place itself, and this contact could simply have been similar to the situation that you described - i.e. small town scene, and meeting folks in bars, having a beer, etc. .

So, please appreciate where I am coming from too, just as I do appreciate where you are coming from.

Additionally, not all of my posts have bee very complimentary on QR. As this is a "rumour and news network", I will report the rumours and news that I have available with me at ay given time, which may or may not be about QR and may or may not be complimentary.

If QR start to upset people again, and my contacts are detailing that situation to me, then the tone of my threads will be altered accordingly.

At present, the feedback that I personally receive is generally good. And, I'm sure that you do too, but I also kow severalk people, including several close friends, who fit ito the disgruntled ex-employee category that you metioned in your last posting. Several, in fact.

I fact, it may well be the case that we know each other!!!!! It is a small community as you said.

So, why not be less cynical mate?

Back to the original thread.........A330 performance at Farnborough.......does anyone have any idea on which precise days this will happen? QR Marketing are not really too sure yet.

A300Man
19th Jul 2002, 08:20
.....sorry, I also forget to mention.......

I am certainly NOT a bored 13 year old living in Doha, who has nothing better to do........I don't take kindly to that remark actually. No need for it!!!

Take care.

BahrainLad
19th Jul 2002, 08:29
Apology re: 13 year old remark. The anonymity of the internet is a wonderful thing.

And, after 20 years in the Gulf, it's fairly natural to be cynical!!!

A300Man
19th Jul 2002, 09:25
Hi Bahrain Lad,

Apology accepted! That was darn civil of you......!!!!!

However, I note that you have still refrained from saying that you agree with anything else that I have said on the subject of QR.

Sigh....well.....maybe some day......you never know.

Thanks anyway. After 20 years in the sand, you deserve to be cynical.

MTQatar
19th Jul 2002, 09:35
MTQatar especially pops up and says, it's not true, they're liars (see his last post!) and QR is in fact doing this, this, this and this based on the latest press release!

Yes I did say that in two of A300Man's threads. The story of these two employees that A300Man mentioned was untrue and I know about them from several of QR's employees. I have emailed A300Man explaining to him what really happened.

I don't want to make this public because it will be very embarassing to the two ex-employees he mentioned the information maybe even incriminating for one of them.

The differnce between A300Man and the many others here is that he accepted what I told him and respected my opinion, I don't know if he believed me or not but at least he accepted it and was respectfull. Never did he insult me like the others did here. And that is why I respect him and his opinions.

Regards,
MTQatar

A300Man
19th Jul 2002, 11:52
MT,

Just to respond to your comments above, I have indeed had some further information from QR which would corroborate your version of events w.r.t. the two former employees.

I am not taking sides here, just stating facts. Please also check you e-mail at some stage today and get back to me if you can.

Any news yet on the display dates?

Also, do you know the source for the A300 that is coming online soon. Is it ex-KAL, or China Eastern?

MTQatar
19th Jul 2002, 14:27
A300Man,

I am waiting for your email and will respond promptly. With regards to the A330 display, the formal delivery ceremony will be held in Farnborough followed by a Press Conference, there will also be a second press conference scheduled during the show which makes me believe that this is an anouncement for the upcoming order. Some newspaper reported QR is in negotiations to buy 6 aircraft and I confirmed that with some people at QR, so the order might be signed during the show.

Anyway I'll try to get the flying display dates for the A330 but I am not exactly sure if I can get hold of them, the person I emailed you about is not sure about the display dates but I'll see if I can get hold of one of the pilots that'll be attending the show.

Regards,
MTQatar

MTQatar
20th Jul 2002, 12:12
A300Man,

I just wanted to say that A7-ACB has arrived in Farnborough Airport yesterday (19 July 2002) while still carrying a French Registration from Airbus F-WWYN.

MTQatar
20th Jul 2002, 12:24
I found a photo of this bird: http://www.planepictures.net/netshow.cgi?1027143730:FAB