PDA

View Full Version : Spirit Airlines: Ok?

cooperplace
16th Sep 2017, 14:17
I'm looking at some great prices with Spirit, ATL-LAX, $93. Has anyone flown Spirit? What are they like? thanks

tb10er
16th Sep 2017, 14:21
Flew with them a couple of times 3 or 4 years ago. Could not fault them.

Just follow the rules and you are fine. The pax who complain are those who don't read the rules.

If you feel the price is good, do it.

B2N2
16th Sep 2017, 14:31
Spirit sucks beyond belief.
You even have to pay for carry on, even as a uniformed crew member.
Your $93 will be more like $300 by the time you're all set and done with all your extra fees.
Look at your right ( or left) hand as you spread your fingers wide.
Distance from the tip of your pinky till the tip of your thumb is the distance between the front edge of your seat and the seat back in front of you.

cooperplace
16th Sep 2017, 14:42
OK, great advice, thanks folks.

Jet II
16th Sep 2017, 14:51
Flown on them a couple of times and they were fine. Typical Lo-Co so watch all the extras but the plane itself was fine and comfortable - much more so that the decrepit American Airlines planes I did the other sectors on.

SeenItAll
16th Sep 2017, 17:26
As noted, the seat pitch is very tight and everything is charged for as an extra. Make sure your compute the all-in price on Spirit before you decide that they are a better buy.

herman the crab
17th Sep 2017, 05:55
At 6'1 LAX - FLL most uncomfortable.

I did not pay for a carry on, Departure/arrival times not the best.

kildress
17th Sep 2017, 11:18
I flew MCO/MSY and MSY/LAX in August with them. Good value, no problems. Typical LCC rules and accommodation.

cooperplace
17th Jan 2018, 03:24
we took the flight with Spirit. After carefully reading the fine print we made sure all cases were under 40lbs. The legroom was fine. Seats were non-reclining, which I like. Flight was great. The price was good, even with the extras. I was impressed with Spirit and will fly with them again.

S.o.S.
17th Jan 2018, 04:02
Thank you for reporting back cooperplace, always helpful for other pax.

Wannabe Flyer
25th Jan 2018, 07:38
Took a BWI - New Orleans Sector & then a Dallas - BWI sector all over the new year with them. They were the cheapest of the lot over that period but still steep. 320's & reasonably comfortable & definitely more spacious feel than a 737 of southwest I took. Pay for each piece of luggage that gets increasingly higher nearer the date of departure. No hand bags over the normal briefcase laptop case. Flight on time no different in service from southwest & pretty much in the same barrel as southwest. Plus points were option to block seats vs free for all in Southwest & option to pay $5 to speed thru security. Both very helpful when kids in tow.

ethicalconundrum
25th Jan 2018, 13:45
I used to fly them once a month from DFW to MSP and back. If you are a novice passenger to airlines, they may not be for you. Know the rules, follow the rules, don't expect more than a non-recline seat(Spirit says they are "pre-reclined" tongue in cheek), access to a bathroom, and some small space in your footwell for a bag.

EVERYTHING else comes at a price. I mean - everything. I could pack my carry-on for a long wknd and fit it under the seat, so no charge. I paid for a beer a couple times, and it was same price as other carriers. Planes are in nice enough shape, people were at least as friendly as AA or SWA, and certainly better than UAL staff. They are good at ticketing. They are not good at irregular operations. If something goes wrong along the way, expect to have 'issues'. The plan is to take non-stops unless you can live with some drama. Miss your connection, and you will most likely be paying another fare charge(but not always) to get you to your destination.

As I've never checked a bag, I can't comment on that. Just don't expect any extras besides the seat, footwell, and bathroom access. It is the Greyhound of the skies.