PDA

View Full Version : Captains flying RHS

seneca208
15th Sep 2017, 10:59
Question for anyone out there operating multi-crew types.

Does your organisation allow Line Captains (ie not check or training) to fly in the RHS on normal revenue flights? If so, under what circumstances, eg is a route check required or some sort of currency?

Is there any legal requirement to be proficient only in one seat or the other, or both?

zanzibar
15th Sep 2017, 12:58
An airline I work for sim checks line captains in the RHS on a regular basis, and thoroughly.

Allows the airline to crew flights in the circumstances where no F/Os are available.

Biggest problem ends up being the RHS captain unable to do the paperwork properly 😂😂😂.

No biggie.

QUOTE=seneca208;9892494]Question for anyone out there operating multi-crew types.

Does your organisation allow Line Captains (ie not check or training) to fly in the RHS on normal revenue flights? If so, under what circumstances, eg is a route check required or some sort of currency?

Is there any legal requirement to be proficient only in one seat or the other, or both?[/QUOTE]

4Screwaircrew
15th Sep 2017, 16:49
We are checked in the RHS but only operate as PM when sitting there, all handling sectors in LHS. UK based on 737.

A and C
15th Sep 2017, 17:30
The company I fly for has all the captains checked in both seats, not a problem for me once I have found the seat adjustment controls.......... the bonus being less paperwork and getting captain pay for FO responsibility.

Keg
16th Sep 2017, 02:00
QF have used it sporadically when circumstances have resulted in shortage of line F/Os and/ or excess Captains. Extra training for the captains concerned. PM only on line ops. No recency requirements except for a reaccreditation sim each year.

KRUSTY 34
16th Sep 2017, 10:13
The chronic shortage at our airline has and always will be Captains. So, no! :ok:

747400CA
17th Sep 2017, 04:10
QF have used it sporadically when circumstances have resulted in shortage of line F/Os and/ or excess Captains. Extra training for the concerned. PM only on line ops. No recency requirements except for a reaccreditation sim each year.

Same at my airline

10 minutes in the RHS during recurrent SIM training (V1 cut, turn downwind, hand flown engine-out ILS to a landing) enables a captain to be rostered in the RHS should the need arise

When the practice was implemented over a decade ago, most viewed it as a management hedge against junior pilots engaging in a union-sanctioned job action

Today, is is more likely that a worsening shortage of F/Os will be the reason

Should it occur, RHS PM duty only, like the previous poster I would assess the greatest hazard to be a mild CRM challenge during flight and a botched logbook entry post-flight

Fly safe

Keg
17th Sep 2017, 13:39
10 minutes in the RHS during recurrent SIM training (V1 cut, turn downwind, hand flown engine-out ILS to a landing) enables a captain to be rostered in the RHS should the need arise

Two hours for us. Full F/O low vis qualification as well. We did multiple figure 8 circuits as a warm up before doing multiple V1 cuts and engine out approaches.

Fratemate
17th Sep 2017, 23:42
We do it a fair bit. I'd struggle to think of a month when I haven't done at least a couple of sectors in the RHS. Pretty obviously, it's normally when they run low on FOs during the bulges of days off requests. Once a year we jump in the RHS of the sim and do a normal take-off and landing, followed by a engine failure of some sort and a single-engine landing. No great shakes but have to remember to put the centreline through the left bollock and not the right :-)

Japan 767 (but they do it on all their fleets) and so does the competition.