PDA

View Full Version : LAFD AW139 Damaged

Nescafe
14th Sep 2017, 05:56
Link (http://www.heliweb.com/lafd-aw139-suffers-substantial-damage-latuna-fire/)

A City of Los Angeles Fire Department (LAFD) AW139 helicopter suffered substantial damage after making contact with what appeared to be a pine tree during aerial firefighting operations on September 2, 2017 during the LA Tuna Fire that burned over seven thousand acres in the hills around Burbank and Glendale area.

The AW139 involved in the incident on September 2nd was also the LAFD’s newest helicopter. LAFD “Fire 4” was put into service barely over a month ago, publicized at an event attended by multiple news outlets covering the arrival of the newest helicopter in the fleet. The AW139 arrived in Los Angeles from the Leonardo Helicopters factory in Philadelphia on June 20th where it continued its final fit out of firefighting equipment that included a 450-gallon belly tank for firefighting operations.

On Saturday, September 2nd, Fire 4 was participating in fire drop operations with at least nine other aircraft that were assigned to assist with airborne water drops when the pilot of the helicopter made a mayday call after apparently coming into contact with an object while flying in the area of Verdugo Hills. The pilot then made an emergency landing on the football field of Verdugo Hills High School. According to reports from eyewitnesses in the area featured in coverage aired by NBC Los Angeles, a witness claimed to have observed the helicopter striking a tree.

Images submitted anonymously to Heliweb Magazine appear to back the eyewitness account as images show several small tree pine tree limbs protruding from damaged areas of the fuselage observed on the ground. The LAFD AW139 appears to have suffered substantial damage to the tail boom, stabilizers, and left side sponson/wheel housing observed in reviewed images. The National Transportation Safety Board is investigating the emergency landing.

The LAFD AW139 suffered substantial damage, including what appears to be the loss of the entire left side of the stabilizer on the tail boom of the helicopter.

The Los Angeles Fire Department operates seven helicopters which serve as dual purpose air ambulance or fire attack aircraft with each AW139 equipped with a three hundred and fifty gallon water tank.

espresso drinker
14th Sep 2017, 06:52
LAFD AW139 Damaged after making contact with object on LaTuna fire (http://www.heliweb.com/lafd-aw139-suffers-substantial-damage-latuna-fire/)

14th Sep 2017, 07:16
Initially I was expecting a simple tip-strike story, something you would say is a normal operating hazard in such difficult conditions but this looks like he flew it through the trees!

212man
14th Sep 2017, 08:23
Initially I was expecting a simple tip-strike story, something you would say is a normal operating hazard in such difficult conditions but this looks like he flew it through the trees!
Another take on the expression "you look like you've been dragged through a hedge backwards"!

14th Sep 2017, 08:46
Yes, probably an interview without coffee with the boss!

cyclic
14th Sep 2017, 15:40
Should buff out.

Frying Pan
15th Sep 2017, 02:34
More info?

L.A. Fire Department's newest helicopter lost control while fighting Burbank fire, report says - LA Times (http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-lafd-fire-chopper-20170914-story.html)

jellycopter
15th Sep 2017, 06:09
'The report says the pilot was in a descending flight profile about 100 feet above trees at about 40 knots when the helicopter began an uncommanded yaw to the right and descent increased.'

Maybe Mr Vuichard should be consulted by he authorities to help explain this one?

gulliBell
15th Sep 2017, 09:06
Should buff out.

Ye olde fibreglass repair kit required, a splash of Ferrari red and then some buff. I'm finding it difficult to reconcile the photos in the news report link. From the rear side angle looking left the right hand stab looks totalled. In the rear facing photo the right stab looks reasonably intact whilst the left stab is totally missing.

skadi
15th Sep 2017, 10:35
Ye olde fibreglass repair kit required, a splash of Ferrari red and then some buff. I'm finding it difficult to reconcile the photos in the news report link. From the rear side angle looking left the right hand stab looks totalled. In the rear facing photo the right stab looks reasonably intact whilst the left stab is totally missing.

The right hand stab lost the trailing edge, the treebranch is seen on both pics.

skadi

Reefdog
15th Sep 2017, 23:37
Looks like it's gone in to the trees backwards
I wonder how many hours on type pilot has?
From experience these machines are a hand full, at first

Non-PC Plod
16th Sep 2017, 08:00
Depends what type you came from - its a handful if you are used to something smaller and more basic, but not such a big deal if you have flown complex types before.

16th Sep 2017, 09:48
I can't imagine they were using any of the AP higher mode bells and whistles during fire-fighting ops.