PDA

View Full Version : MyTravel low-cost airline

Simon Lumley
16th Jul 2002, 11:33
Does anybody know when MyTravel are going to announce their UK hub and routes? I heard that they are supposed to be starting operations in October but it's getting a bit late!

I also heard that they are going to choose a northern hub which would mean either Manchester or Leeds/Bradford.:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Cheers Simon.

Ian Farquharson
16th Jul 2002, 12:37
Or maybe somewhere not quite so far North !!!

Ian

newswatcher
16th Jul 2002, 12:45
The initial commitment was for just two aircraft and no more than 10 destinations. I got the impression at the "launch" that this was another division of the company rather than a separate entity like BA/GO. I guess it will be based at MAN.

boroatco
16th Jul 2002, 17:52
"A northen hub that means Manchester or Leeds Bradford"????

What about the proper north of england such as Teesside or Newcastle???

Might have expected a basic geography error from some one near London but from east midlands!!! this is very poor

THERE IS LIFE UP HEAR YOU KNOW!!!

GrahamK
16th Jul 2002, 23:33
Yup, I'd say the north of England, would put Manchester or Newcastle as favourites for the new airline. ;)

ohitsmonday
22nd Jul 2002, 01:44
MAN

Findo
22nd Jul 2002, 10:47
Scottish newspaper today reports 4 flights a day from Glasgow Prestwick in the summer and 2 a day in the winter.

Flight Mc Plan
22nd Jul 2002, 15:36
The enclosed is from today's Evening Times newspaper...

New cut-price airline plans Prestwick base
By Martin Murray

A NEW budget airline is planning to operate out of Prestwick Airport, sparking an air fares war.

Britain’s biggest package holiday operator MyTravel is ready to take on established low-cost airline Ryanair at the Ayrshire airport.

Previously known as Airtours, MyTravel’s decision to base itself at Prestwick could see a major fares battle with the Irish carrier, which is attempting to expand its services from the airport.

It is understood MyTravel will begin its operation with four scheduled daily flights in the summer and two in the winter to European destinations, such as Malaga and Nice.

The services could also prove a rival to easyJet’s budget flights from Glasgow Airport.

Earlier this year easyJet bought rival budget airline Go for £374million.

A Ryanair spokeswoman welcomed the competition as good news for Scottish travellers, but only if alternative routes to those already available were offered.

She said additional routes would be great news for Prestwick and Scotland, but warned it would be foolish for someone to come in and offer the same routes.

A Prestwick Airport spokesman said it would be a “significant progression” for the airport.

A MyTravel spokeswoman said: “We will not be making an announcement until the end of August and so can’t say how this will affect our business at Glasgow or other airports in the UK.”

MyTravel was among a number of holiday companies seriously affected by the terror attacks on America last September.

Two months ago its share price slumped by a quarter following a profits warning. At the same time, it was reported the firm still had 750,000 unsold package holidays.