PDA

View Full Version : Atpl re mark for June

fcom
16th Jul 2002, 09:23
Just wondering how many others had their exams re marked for June after their audit, If so did it change your results?

crispy banana
16th Jul 2002, 15:45
Out of interest which one did you fail?....

I finally got my results yesterday (..after a long wait..) and I dropped M & B by 4%, I was thinking about a remark, but as its 4%,its probably not worth it as thats a couple of questions :rolleyes:

Roll on Module 2.....:)

G-SPOTs Lost
16th Jul 2002, 18:41
Without wanting to pee on anybodys bonfire, back in 1999 I ended up sharing a doorstep outside BAE Prestwick whilst FCL CAA Chappie was having a smoke, exams were well under way inside.

Quote was that remarking exam papers is a bit of a cashcow for th CAA, the machines are that accurate its either correct or a spoilt paper sort of situation.

No doubt somebody out there has had a remark and passed, if so well done what were the circumstances?

Send Clowns
16th Jul 2002, 19:38
G-SPOT your CAA chappie would be red-faced to hear you repeat his words. They have reissued all the June results due to some errors.

We had a student booked to start again due to a 4-time failed exam, and has just been told that he actually passed last month! Have another I hope will have passed, as he hit 74% on one, having passed all the rest (unfortunately has been down here studying, and his results go to his permanent address. He only knew yesterday of the remark, and I have been flying rather than working today, so I don't know if he has passed). In this case he has been paying for me to instruct him since the fail. If it turns out he actually passed, do you think he can be compensated by the CAA, for the tuition and the delay to starting his CPL?

I have heard of only one previous successful remark, I think one of Alex's students at Bristol.

G-SPOTs Lost
17th Jul 2002, 09:04
Is this caused by a factually incorrect answer? the correct answer being brought about by appeal, that is to say perhaps two or even more correct answers?

I must admit I did the old CAA exams back in 1999 when the question bank was relatively clean. And the CAA were confident about there answers

Factually correct about the bloke on the Prestwick doorstep though :)

Sounds like a good candidate for a poll :rolleyes:

Wibbly P
17th Jul 2002, 11:18
G-Spot's right I'm afraid,

They say that in the past 15-20 years the machine has only come back different on about 1 or 2 occasions and even then probably due to spoil rather than machine error.

Your £20 ensures that the paper is marked by hand but it is extremely unlikely you will get anywhere. I suggest buying 20 Lottery tickets instead, you stand a better chance of winning

Last months remarks are not due to the Marking machine. It is not clear what it is though.

Alex Whittingham
17th Jul 2002, 17:13
Call me a cynical old fool, Wibbly, but if you don't know what did cause the results to be re-issued how do you know what didn't?

Send Clowns
17th Jul 2002, 19:53
As far as was read out to me by our CGI the email circular to the CGIs did not give a reason for the reissue of results. I assume Alex can confirm this. However since all results in all papers were to be reissued I suspect it is something more serious than a factual error in a question or two. That was quite common at the beginning of 2000; this is unprecedented, at least under JAA.

airshowpilot
17th Jul 2002, 21:08
I suspect that I was one of the many poor unfortunates that failed to have their exam mark upped last month. Sadly for me, it was my last chance at it. I am 'happy' to go throught the mill again and know in my heart of hearts that I can do it and, more importantly, that I will eventually become a commercial airline pilot. Nevertheless I am left in state of disbelief and disillusionment concerning the ATPL examinations in general.

I am indeed happy for the individuals that may have benefited from the CAA's 'internal quality procedure' and that it exists at all. However, I think that everyone involved in June exams is entitled to know the full details of the oversights in this case and whether they would have affected us individually and our results in previous examinations!!

In my view the JAA must also seriously consider bringing in the huge US style 'open question bank' and feedback to exams so that there is no doubt of the 'correct JAA' answers to the questions and that stupid people like me get to know the areas in which they need to do work to get through these freakin' exams!

For those thinking about taking the exams, DON'T underestimate the task in hand when attempting to gain the ATPL examinations, it involves huge financial and personal sacrifices. Even more demoralising is the fact that most individuals cannot justify flying at all until they have got over the hurdle of the JAR exams. In that sense they are definitely not a 'practical test' of knowledge but more a 'barrier to entry'. I am always positive when discussing the JAA/CAA and I want to be in the future but in the area of ATPL exams I am left tearing my hair out, including many premature grey ones... :(

Wibbly P
18th Jul 2002, 11:31
Alex, your a cynical old fool.

I didn't say I didn't know..... I said it wasn't clear. (to me)

The error was not due to the marking machine, that's all I said, the subsequent processes are not divulged to the likes of me.