PDA

View Full Version : Military security on 'public' land.

Buster Hyman
4th Sep 2017, 07:46
Recently had a USN LHD visit our City & I grabbed my trusty camera for some happy snaps.

Arrived at the pier, one where a domestic passenger ferry regularly embarks from, to find security at the end of the pier being conducted by the USN. I approached the 3 chaps & whilst they were efficient & professional, they weren't overly 'warm'. I have no problem with that btw, they have very good reason to be the way they are when doing that duty. I just asked about any open times, that's all.

Anyway, it made me wonder how they could be the 'front of house' security on an Australian pier, with no local security. Neither contractors, RAN, or Police were on hand at the initial check point. There was a Police presence, Water Police in the Bay & squad cars around, but none I could see on the Pier.

Is that common?

http://i494.photobucket.com/albums/rr301/BiggyRat/DSC_0047.jpg

Heathrow Harry
4th Sep 2017, 09:04
For sure there'll be an agreement in writing somewhere - not likely to be in the public domain of course but every security/police force I've come across is VERY touchy about sovereignty....

Probably the local guys felt the risks of something going wrong were v low & it saves their budget for more important things